• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing CZ 455 Barrel

Mato

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2014
Hi, I've been looking to get a thread machined on my CZ 455 Varmint. I don't want to take my rifle out of action while I did though. So my idea was to get another barrel and have the thread machined and just swap the barrels over. Talking to a gunsmith about doing the work and he's talking about needing the rifle to adjust head spacing and what not but I was under the impression from reading here that they just swap straight over. Can anyone clear this up? I'm in Australia so a lot of the options you guys have aren't available to me.

Straight swap. Easy as using a torque driver and changing out the barrels. You might want to make sure he can thread your new barrel concentric and right specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I'm assuming my gun smith will know what he's doing and will centre the barrel to the bore and not the outside of the barrel when machining the thread. I wanted to get a better barrel but to import anything into Australia is hard to impossible unless there is enough money in it for a big company to want to do it.

You could check with Lilja who makes a match grade barrel for the 455. They might be willing to make the new barrel with the muzzle thread you specify. Looks like they export.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

And yes, the 455's are made to be switch barrel guns that a person can interchange by themselves in the field. Do a youtube video search and I'm sure someone would explain how.

I'm going to get in contact with Lilja and ask, thanks. I've seen a few YouTube videos. But when I spoke to the gunsmith he assured me they don't just swap over and he would need the whole rifle. I was fairly certain he was wrong but when a professional tells me I'm wrong I started to doubt myself. I'm just a rigger so thought I'd better check.

Looked into Lilja Barrels. Can't find anyone in Australia bringing them in and to have one barrel imported is looking extremely expensive. Cost of barrel, plus $350 export license, plus 5% duties, 10% GST and any other fees my government will figure a way of charging me. Thanks again for all the info.

Have sent an email to them to see if they have any dealers here.

There was a big Lilja CZ455 barrel group buy in the Rimfire section.

Nobody send out rifles to have the barrels fitted.

And a number of people have both .22 and .17 barrels for their CZ and swap them as desired.

Yeah I've come to the conclusion that he may have just been overreacting. I have found a couple of people dealing in Lilja here so am just waiting for a couple of emails.