• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

CZ 455 vs Sako Quad - Which do I buy?

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
Give me your advice on the perks between the 2.

My buddy has a CZ that has been jazzed up with a Ligia barrel, manners stock, dip trigger etc. All in all it probably cost up words of 1200-1300. Great trigger. We were shooting 1/2" 5 shot groups with Lapua match at 100 yards.

Sako has great reviews and already has most of my "wants" built into it. However, I read the trigger is crap and the stock is not super comfortable.

Should I just go with the CZ 455, buy it in .17 HMR and get the aftermarket barrel in .22? The cz seems to have more modularity.

Am I getting bad info on the sako?

I have a pair of Quads (1 .17HMR, 1 .22LR) in Manners stocks and a buddy has a 455PT in a Manners.

All have Lilja barrels and accuracy between the CZ and Quad is a wash from what I've seen with the same lots of 22. The quad has the superior trigger out of the box (it's a weight adjustment screw away from a very crisp 2lb break) whereas the CZ needs a kit or an aftermarket trigger to shine. A YoDave kit in the CZ gets it close to the feeling of the Quad trigger-- but not quite as good. I've never tried a CZ with an aftermarket trigger like a Timney, but I would imagine a Timney trigger in the 455 would put it right up there if not a little better than the factory Quad trigger. The bolt action and lift is shorter & smoother on the Quad. Much easier to put on a new bolt handle on the Quad as it's attached via screw, if you want to put a larger knob on the CZ you have to machine the bolt. The Quad also has far more expensive mags.

Unless you find a smoking deal on a Quad the CZ has a big advantage in the price department. You need to decide if the Quad is worth the extra money over the 455.

Like stated above both properly setup are equal in accuracy but the quad is built nicer. There is about a $700 difference between buying the cheapest quad to start with verses the cheapest trimmed 455. You can build a 455 lilja combo minus glass for $1000 or less which includes the cost of the rifle!

Does either the 455 or the Quad have a better, stronger, more rigid method for holding the barrel into the receiver?
The OP's question is something I have been looking into lately.

In the end, if one is looking to tinker with building a rifle over time, the Quad receiver is a starting point costing
2 to 3 times the 455 with the same results in the end? Is the Quad receiver better? By $ 700.00?

These are questions I ask because I am interested in building up a rifle over the near future just for the enjoyment of
it.

Last edited:
Like stated above both properly setup are equal in accuracy but the quad is built nicer. There is about a $700 difference between buying the cheapest quad to start with verses the cheapest trimmed 455. You can build a 455 lilja combo minus glass for $1000 or less which includes the cost of the rifle!

Yep. Gone are the days of complete single caliber quads for $450 new. A couple years back I paid about $550 shipped for both my lightly used single caliber Quads and they already included DIP bottom metal and bolt knobs. I sold the factory barrels for about $175 and the factory stocks for about $85 leaving me into them about $300 for the action, bolt knob, and bottom metal. I added the Lilja barrels and manners stocks.

There are a couple of single caliber synthetic Quads on Gunbroker right now for $750. That's much better than the $1070 or so for the walnut ones. However, you can get a CZ 455 PT complete with Manners stock for about $800 and you'll save a bunch of money over building a comparable Quad.

I prefer the Quad for the reasons I stated a few posts up. Even though I really prefer the Quad over the 455, with the current prices that Quads are going for I think I'd build a CZ455 instead and put the money saved towards optics!

Does either the 455 or the Quad have a better, stronger, more rigid method for holding the barrel into the receiver?
The OP's question is something I have been looking into lately.

While the single screw, tang, and wedge block design of the Quad's barrel retention gives me a more "warm and fuzzy feeling" regarding rigidity compared to the straight slip-in and double setscrew arrangement of the 455 I haven't observed any issues with my friend's 455 in regards to barrel retention, consistency, or accuracy.

Last edited:
Im a CZ guy so you know where I would lean but I wanted to get this out there since we all know its gonna happen
Buy an Anchultz ;)

While building the CZs and Quads to mimic your full size rifle is fun, and my .22LR Quad is usually plenty accurate for me... you are correct. Buy once and done with Anschutz!

I'll ditch my Quads if and when Manners decides to start doing Anschutz inlets. I love the T4 stock on my Quads but the regular Anschutz hunting & sporter stocks do nothing for me. If Manners decides to start doing Anschutz inlets I would buy a .22LR and .17HMR Anschutz, drop them into the T4s, and sell my Quads.

I may pick up an 1827F to keep the Quads company though... :D

Last edited:
I have both the 455 and a Quad. The Quad I have had for a while now and it is built up for a trainer. It has a Lilja barrel, USO 20MOA mount, McMillan stock (added cheek piece), aftermarket bolt handle and bottom metal and is threaded for suppressor use. It shoots great and has the best out of the box trigger pull. The 455 is a now discontinued Tacticool version. It has the Boyd's Tacticool stock, threaded heavy barrel, DIP rail and trigger and an aftermarket (unknown brand) tac bolt handle. I shot it for the first time today and really was impressed, especially when fed Fiocchi SM320 suppressed. Now for the price part. I have right at $1600 in the Quad and $600 in the CZ455. That is one helluva difference and I frankly can't say that the Quad is worth it, especially no more than I shoot it.

Im a CZ guy so you know where I would lean but I wanted to get this out there since we all know its gonna happen
Buy an Anchultz ;)

funny shit, coming from you usmcchet LOL
but to me, between the 2, I would do a low end 455, spent the rest on ammo

I have both a Quad trainer that I dumped a bunch of money into and a 455. I shoot hell out of the Quad trainer, I love the rifle and it stacks them. That said, I paid around 400 for the Quad rifle back in the day and I would not purchase one now. The $1k price they are asking is silly. The CZ 455 has a lot of momentum as far as aftermarket parts and what not. CZ also really seems to be listening what the consumer wants i.e., coming out with the cheaper 455 tacticool instead of the manners. The CZ 455 suppressor ready model that released this year is pretty slick IMHO. I would go with the 455 base rifle if I was starting from scratch.

Good luck

Thank for all of the replies. I appreciate the help. I have a quote from a dealer for $450 out the door for a CZ 455 .22 Varmint. I will probably pull the trigger in it this week I next. Pun intended.

A $.60 replacement spring from ACE Hardware or Fastenal will get you down to 10-12 oz on the pull for the CZ. No kit, no nothing else needed.

The only thing else I am going to say is there is a reason a Ruger RAR costs what it does, CZ's cost what they do, and Sako's cost what THEY do.

A $.60 replacement spring from ACE Hardware or Fastenal will get you down to 10-12 oz on the pull for the CZ. No kit, no nothing else needed.

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that spring, would you? I haven't ordered my yodave yet and that sounds a lot more appealing.

Well, I have been happy with my CZ455, perhaps lucky, too. It shoots straight and true without any major modifications.
The trigger is factory but polished, right at 2 lbs.
Murphy Precision 20 MOA steel base.
Ken Farrell steel rings.
SWFA SS 5-20x50 glass.
Harris bipod.
Elgordo2 (Charlie's) extended bolt knob.

The best ammo so far is Eley Club Extra followed by Federal GMM.

I am sure Annie and Sako are super nice but seems like this CZ is more accurate than I will ever be... Highly recommend it, lol.

The group below is shot using a single shot adapter.

Last edited:
CZ

Well, I have been happy with my CZ455, perhaps lucky, too. It shoots straight and true without any major modifications.
this CZ is more accurate than I will ever be... Highly recommend it, lol.

The group below is shot using a single shot adapter.

Clearly your rifle will shoot. Very nice group. So, why have you not posted a target in the 5x6 30 rd challenge? To me that is the acid test on this forum for any accurate 22. Most guns will shoot one nice group off and on. The ones that can shoot six, 5 shot groups in a row on a single target are the ones that really interest me. So, come on get out there and do it. BTW - I love the look of your rifle. Very nice.

Irish

Thanks. Yeah I realize that, I have shot two other groups just like that on two different occasions so I know the gun is more capable than me. I am cool with that, lol.