• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

CZ 455 (which model?) with Lilja or Anschutz?

Kevin1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Allen, TX, USA
I would like to purchase a very accurate 22lr rifle (once it’s easier to find ammo).

The easiest way is obviously to purchase a $2000 Anschutz.
But will I be able to achieve the same level of accuracy and reliability if I go the CZ + Lilja barrel for less than half the price of an Anschutz?
It will obviously be an overall less refined rifle, but will it be as accurate and as reliable? I have read many threads with people having issues installing the barrel and feeding rounds in a CZ + Lilja. This is why I wanted to get some input before going this route.

Also which CZ model is best for installing a Lilja barrel (Synthetic, American or Varmint)?

I haven't ran across any info on those having issues with the Lilja barrel - post some links if you can, I'd be interested in reading up.

As long as you get the CZ 455, you'll be able to swap barrels easily. However, if you want a heavy profile barrel, you'll want to get the Varmint, Tacticool, or Precision Trainer....else you'll need a new stock if you go the American model route.

950 bucks for CZ 455 with the manners stock
100 bucks for a Rifle Basix trigger (very sweet btw)
400 bucks each for Lilja barrels

hmmm 1500 bucks already

950 bucks for CZ 455 with the manners stock
100 bucks for a Rifle Basix trigger (very sweet btw)
400 bucks each for Lilja barrels

hmmm 1500 bucks already

$950 is a little high... $821 on GB right now and when in stock they can be had for $780 (cash discount) at Kentucky Gun Co. (again, when in stock).
CZ USA CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer Rifle .22 : Other Rifles at GunBroker.com

CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer 22 LR Rifle 20.5 Barrel 5 Round Blue

But I see what you're getting at... yeah, you're approaching an Anschutz in overall price.

Last edited:
I’d rather get the wood stock with the standard Lilja barrel.

Which CZ model is on this picture? Is the barrel on this what they refer to as the Varmint taper?

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Ruger Precision Barrels

That's the varmint taper...says so under barrel data (last sentence in the first bullet-point).

If you want the wood stock, go with the varmint model and not the American.

Last edited:
Th last time I checked an Anz 64 MPR was ~$1200.

Sporting Rifles : 64 MPR

The Anz is going to have a MUCH better trigger out of the box than the CZ. Accuracy wise between the two opinions vary, but Anz traditionally the standard to which all others are compared. ;) Though Lija does make some very accurate rimefire barrels as well. Your $$$ spend it as you wish, as neither is a "bad" choice. :)

CZ 455 American, Rifle Basix, Lilja Varmint Taper 22lr,
Mueller 8-32x44, Harris bipod, pillared, bedded, barrel bedded

CZ455Lilja-Mueller2.JPG

Off the bipod with the last of my pre-panic WolfME on one of my very rare good days

100yds-wolfme-455lilja.JPG

I have a two Sako P94S', an Anschutz MPR, and a Sako Quad. One P94 has a Lilja Barrel and the Quad has a Lilja Barrel. All shoot very well. For the money you cannot go wrong with the MPR. Out of the box it will shoot as well and sometimes better than the others. Best bang for the buck by far is the Anschutz MPR. If you can find a P94S they are sweet shooters. The P94's are higher quality than the Quad. Good luck

I was more thinking of a 54 action. Now if you compare the 64 MPR to a CZ with a Lilja barrel, the price difference is less obvious and makes the decision more difficult.
The good thing about the CZ is that you don’t have to spend the money all at once. You can upgrade as you go (I think it adds to the fun). Also, if you plan on changing the barrel, might as well buy a 17hmr model and then get a Lilja 22lr. So for less than $1000 you’ll have a very accurate 22lr and a 17hmr barrel.

Good thing there is still a big 22lr ammo shortage :D. It gives me plenty of time to think this over.

I think there is nothing wrong with any of the choices on the table: Anschutz 64MPR, Anschutz 54 (any of them), Sako Quad, or the CZ 455. However if it were me and my money I would get the Anschutz 54, even if it meant I had to save up some more cash over time. I can speak from experience as I have a lot of time with all the rifles mentioned. I have owned several of each except the CZ 455 (just many 452's) but have plenty of time with the 455. But like I said any of them are not bad choices...

kevin, will put in my 2 cents, but dont take it as standard.
i have bought 2 MPR for less than $1000.
SOLD one for what i picked it up for $900 the other for $750. both were used. but like new
now to your question,
my son wanted a CZ 455, an being the DAD i am he got one, but i could not stop there(oh no)
cz 455 manners$900.00 out the door
LILJA barrel $400.00
rifle basix trigger $100.00
base $40.00
stock painted $150.00
now take away the bells an wistle you get $1450.00 for cz 455 ready to go(an must say cool as hell looking)
with all this beening said (which is not alot). the cz shoots damm great, well please with it,BUT will not out shoot my annie MPR 64
yes i did the cz a little at a time, but when its done its still $1500.00 plus
will i do it again short ansewer HELL NO
should have put my son behine the annie MPR i sold,
but must say i did not shoot 2nd mpr that i sold, waiting on new owner to let me know, i messed up.
last will say had a father son good time putting cz together. i guess at least that was worth it

kevin, will put in my 2 cents, but dont take it as standard.
i have bought 2 MPR for less than $1000.
SOLD one for what i picked it up for $900 the other for $750. both were used. but like new
now to your question,
my son wanted a CZ 455, an being the DAD i am he got one, but i could not stop there(oh no)
cz 455 manners$900.00 out the door
LILJA barrel $400.00
rifle basix trigger $100.00
base $40.00
stock painted $150.00
now take away the bells an wistle you get $1450.00 for cz 455 ready to go(an must say cool as hell looking)
with all this beening said (which is not alot). the cz shoots damm great, well please with it,BUT will not out shoot my annie MPR 64
yes i did the cz a little at a time, but when its done its still $1500.00 plus
will i do it again short ansewer HELL NO
should have put my son behine the annie MPR i sold,
but must say i did not shoot 2nd mpr that i sold, waiting on new owner to let me know, i messed up.
last will say had a father son good time putting cz together. i guess at least that was worth it

Damn solid advice right here!

well only other way i would spend that amount of $
if Jbell sells that shot out 22 of his hehehe
kevin sorry i was so blunt on my last post,
all are solid rilfe's, just wanted you to know what it cost real world, if you go down that cz road

If you go with the cz lilja combo the best way to go is with an American synthetic. You can get one for $350 or less new and when you sell off the stock barrel and stock, you should be able to put $150 or more back in your pocket. If you set up the rifle with a boyds stock you can build the 455 for under $800.

Truth be told both rifles are excellent and you can't go wrong either way. If you ask me I say get both :).

Been down to this road and I took the CZ455 vpt direction. Manner stock, many after market support....I enjoy messing around with the rifle as much as shooting

opening line:
I would like to purchase a very accurate 22lr rifle

Get the annie. Take it to the range, shoot it and make little tiny groups with match grade ammo.

or

Get the CZ 455 and use it as a learning tool and figure out everything that needs to be done
to make it shoot like an "an out of the box" annie. I thought about going straight to an Anschutz
after being allowed to try several at the local range, but realized that you learn more with a hands on project
than you do with one that's already been tweaked for accuracy by a group of German techs who've
done nothing else for the last 40 years.

Either way you end up with a rifle that'll shoot sub-moa on a good day with good ammo.
Both will end up costing about the same, but building your own will provide a great deal
more understanding of what works, and what doesn't, when it comes to rimfire accuracy.

I’m starting to lean more toward an Anschutz.

I’ve already had (and still have) a project gun. It’s a Savage Mark2 G I purchased for $200 and send it to Savagegunsmithing to get an accurizing package. When I got it back, I still had to do some tweaking (playing with the torque, lapping the barrel with JB Bore Bright, a lot of headache and ammo ) to get it to shoot well. It now shoots sub MOA at 50 yards (0.5 inch) with cheap American eagle 38 HV.

When I think about it, I really don't want to go through all the hassle again. An Anschutz is probably is a more reasonable choice.

Last edited:
As has been stated in various ways already, are you looking to shoot, or to learn how to polish a turd?

Sam

My CZ 455 is all factory with the exception of a trigger, and I must be lucky because it shoots incredibly well. However, I can't see spending the extra money on a barrel, and Manners stock for it, when my 64 MPR already gives me everything I want in the CZ right out of the box for less. Plus the MPR is better built from the factory with a lot smoother action, and awesome trigger. I love them both, but there's a difference between the two, and CZ is only going to cost less if you leave it mostly factory.

The CZ will gently pitch all your brass in a neat little pile and your Annie will helicopter it everywhere over both sides of your gun and about one in 20 will have to be plucked out of your loading port.

opening line:

Get the annie. Take it to the range, shoot it and make little tiny groups with match grade ammo.

or

Get the CZ 455 and use it as a learning tool and figure out everything that needs to be done
to make it shoot like an "an out of the box" annie. I thought about going straight to an Anschutz
after being allowed to try several at the local range, but realized that you learn more with a hands on project
than you do with one that's already been tweaked for accuracy by a group of German techs who've
done nothing else for the last 40 years.

Either way you end up with a rifle that'll shoot sub-moa on a good day with good ammo.
Both will end up costing about the same, but building your own will provide a great deal
more understanding of what works, and what doesn't, when it comes to rimfire accuracy.

This is the road I have taken. Along the way I've spent much- but learned much. My cz455 PT is a learning tool and it has been all of that.
Branden is doing a paint job on it and when I get it back will post pictures.

The CZ will gently pitch all your brass in a neat little pile and your Annie will helicopter it everywhere over both sides of your gun and about one in 20 will have to be plucked out of your loading port.
we have about 20 to 30 mpr 64 show up for time to time at the catawba valley TSC, match
and i have seen what you are talking abiut,(pluking out empty brass)
but only in 1 rifle, that problem in his rifle has been fixed,
mine has never had that to happen,
not saying it will not, just have not seen alot of this happening?

buliding a CZ 455 is a fun time , but a costly one

I just wanted give an update in this post. Yesterday I picked up an Anschutz 64 Silhouette. It's a single shot, I believe it's made in 1981 (IB on barrel). I won't get a chance to shoot it before a couple of weeks, but I was told it shoots under 0.2" @ 50 yards.

I did dry fire the gun, and the trigger is amazing. I don't understand why people say the new triger on the 64 mpr is much better.... At the same time my experience in nice triggers is very limited as the best trigger I had, until now was, a savage accutrigger.

I just wanted give an update in this post. Yesterday I picked up an Anschutz 64 Silhouette. It's a single shot, I believe it's made in 1981 (IB on barrel). I won't get a chance to shoot it before a couple of weeks, but I was told it shoots under 0.2" @ 50 yards.

I did dry fire the gun, and the trigger is amazing. I don't understand why people say the new triger on the 64 mpr is much better.... At the same time my experience in nice triggers is very limited as the best trigger I had, until now was, a savage accutrigger.

kevin, nice, I like it
a little fore warning, don't dry fire it, big no no.

Thanks. I dry fire with a spent case. Even the dent of the Anschutz on the case is much cleaner than the savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I dry fire with a spent case. Even the dent of the Anschutz on the case is much cleaner than the savage.

Just watch even doing it with spent brass. If you repeatedly dryfire with the brass in the same position you will eventually peen your chamber as the brass will just get beaten to crap. Nice rifle by the way. Keep us posted on it.

Enjoy!

I turn the case after each shot so that the same spot isn't used more than once. Unlike my savage where you can clearly see the firing pin dent on the chamber, the Anschutz doesn't have the slightest firing pin mark (i have to admit that I did dry fire the Anschutz 5 or 6 times before I was able to finally find some spend cases)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD get an Anchultz !!!!!!!!
why because thats what the Anchultz guys want me to say
if I don't they lock me in the dark room again

come to the dark side!!! LOL
naw your fine, hell i have many different brands of 22lr
CZ,annie, savage,ruger,winnies, remington,
they all have there place
i guess i am a annie fan boy he,he