• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz 457 22lr varmint ammo?

Tweedycarcass23jonb

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
SW Idaho
Need some feedback-
What match 22lr ammo shoots the best out of your cz 457?
Since all I have is bulk 22 ammo I know there’s better preforming ammo than the bulk I have yet so many to look out for. Maybe with your guy’s help I can keep an eye out for a few specific brands and I’ll buy the top suggested ammo when it’s in stock online or pops up in the px.
Thank you for the feedback in advance.

Jb

Attachments

• 762FC3B3-DF43-4CF0-81C6-961FE7523E0D.jpeg
    762FC3B3-DF43-4CF0-81C6-961FE7523E0D.jpeg
    582.2 KB · Views: 103
I have seen quite a few of the 457s and 455s at the local matches shooting SK rifle match and SK long range match with excellent results for $12 a box. A little better may be Lapua Center X at around $16 a box, but I am not sure the price difference is justified by its performance over the SK stuff. If you want to go slightly cheaper Eley Club ($9 a box) seems decent, though I have only seen it run in one CZ, most guys default to SK.
Obviously pricing is variable but that is what it has been around here in the past 6 months or so. Best of luck finding something your rifle likes!

Joel

I have seen quite a few of the 457s and 455s at the local matches shooting SK rifle match and SK long range match with excellent results for $12 a box. A little better may be Lapua Center X at around $16 a box, but I am not sure the price difference is justified by its performance over the SK stuff. If you want to go slightly cheaper Eley Club ($9 a box) seems decent, though I have only seen it run in one CZ, most guys default to SK.
Obviously pricing is variable but that is what it has been around here in the past 6 months or so. Best of luck finding something your rifle likes!

Joel
Thank you for the feedback Joel.

Yeah, it's true ya' have to find the ammunition y'er rifle performs best with.
Too bad it has to do with the uniformity and quality of the cartridges
not just the name on the label. Y'er going to be hunting the muzzle velocity
that fits the barrel harmonics as well as cartridges with the least amount
of assembly line defects along with the smallest velocity spread.
Use that ballistic chronograph when testing and correlate results to velocities.
Those will be the cartridges that will provide the most consistent accuracy.
It's not the brand y'er looking for, but the quality of the cartridges in the box.
When you find a batch that provides the desired results, purchase all of it.
Then when it's gone, y'er gonna be repeating the process over and over and over..... ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's true ya' have to find the ammunition y'er rifle performs best with.
Too bad it has to do with the uniformity and quality of the cartridges
not just the name on the label. Y'er going to be hunting the muzzle velocity
that fits the barrel harmonics as well as cartridges with the least amount
of assembly line defects along with the smallest velocity spread.
Use that ballistic chronograph when testing and correlate results to velocities.
Those will be the cartridges that will provide the most consistent accuracy.
It's not the brand y'er looking for, but the quality of the cartridges in the box.
When you find a batch that provides the desired results, purchase all of it.
Then when it's gone, y'er gonna be repeating the process over and over and over..... ;)
I felt like my post was almost redundant due the differences from rifle to rifle, I had all that in mind as well when typing.
Your post was helpful Justin thank you.
Ill some do some cartridge sorting when I buy some to see how much it benefits consistent accuracy.
Current times I just can’t afford to buy all the huge lots I’ve been seeing on here without a some indication it’s going to shoot good. Like the last ad with two different types of sk $630 to buy both. I would’ve bought one lot of the match but I missed it. Lol.

Sorting cartridges is just another way to play with our toys.
Something to do in an effort to manipulate reality for the purpose of improving results, but doesn't.
It's possible you might pick up on a cartridge that was double loaded or not loaded with powder
but it won't actually fix the true causes of trajectory dispersion.
It makes ya' feel like y'er accomplishing something, but you ain't.
We are all limited by the quality of the cartridges as manufactured.
Sorting doesn't fix poor crimps, damaged bullets, irregular seating,
variations in powder/primer chemistry or amounts, tolerance shifts during assembly.

If you enjoy the process, knock y'erself out.
Just remember, been there, done that, 3 times, a brick each time.
Weight, cartridge length, rim thickness, not worth the effort.

Lot testing at the factory run facilities is much more effective
However, even lot testing doesn't guarantee results.
One of the old coots at the diner table this morning,
pointed out that even at the Eley and Lapua test centers
y'er still basing y'er choice on a small sample from that particular lot number.
He has had an occasion where the results at the tunnel from two of the boxes tested were good.
Bought 3 cases of that lot number and found some of the ammo did not produce matching results.
Every purchase of rimfire ammo is a gamble...welcome to the assembly line lottery.

Last edited:
I misunderstood what you posted first. Picked it up now. I hate going down a rabbit hole. So I’d wont bother with sorting. Other than a simple weight check which I figured would end in waste of time I would find any other form of measurement with 22 way to tedious of a task.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jb

Reactions: lash
I’ve only had mine for a short while and haven’t done any testing yet, though hope to soon. I do know that many are using SK Rifle and Long Range in their CZs here and they seem to get acceptable results. This is mostly for field and NRL 22 style matches with some distances out to slightly over 300 yards.

It would seem to me that for hunting purposes, that would also be acceptable, though only you can be the judge of what’s good enough for your needs. I’ve read enough and have seen enough to know that what Justin says is true. Therefore, knowing what will meet your needs and what those needs are can go a long ways towards making life easier when it comes to .22LR use.

Now, if your intent is bullseye or .22 bench rest then there is no easier about it. My opinion.

SK standard plus works in mine
Since I had so much trouble finding SK Rifle Match earlier, I bought a few bricks of Standard and will be testing them for acceptability. I have heard that a few times. I guess I’ll find out.

I’ve had very good results with SK Standard Plus in my CZ 457. As a matter of fact, It’s very accurate and consistent out of all of my quality 22lr’s. (Bergara B14R, Ruger 77/22 with Volquatsen barrel, 10/22 with Kidd bolt and barrel, Tikka T1X, Anshcutz) I shoot out to 100yrds and find diminishing returns if I use more expensive ammo at those distances. If shooting beyond, it might pay off.
It’s been mentioned, but 22lr can be quite a rabbit hole if ya let it. That’s part of the fun I suppose. How accurate do you need to be? How accurate is accurate enough? Figure that out and you’re on your way outta the hole.