• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Bartlein Prefit - "My Barrel Won't Shoot"

flyer1a

Craig, Area 419
Minuteman
Hey guys - hope you dig the clickbait headline.

One of the challenging and uneasy parts about selling something like barrels is it's impossible to accuracy test every one, and maintain any sort of sales volume or non-ludicrous price. That being the case, it's always possible to get a call from a customer with an accuracy complaint. When that happens, then we absolutely test, and figure out what's going on. It's VERY uncommon to get this call, but hey, it's all a game of odds. We stock and sell premium stuff to make those odds better, but nothing made by man is perfect every time.

This instance was about a Bartlein Prefit for CZ457. It was the first complaint we had received. We refunded the customer that could not get it to shoot .5" at 50y on the best day with the best group. He was afraid of it being a "$550 tomato stake" but we took care of him immediately and sent him a label for return.

This morning, the barrel got home. This afternoon, we threw it on our shop CZ457 and went out back with some 50y paper. The first box of ammo we grabbed was SK Rifle Match (the red box) as it was sitting by the door.

We took 5 shots to get comfortable on the gun (on the left), then proceeded to shoot 3 more 5-shot groups. The setup was a pile of GameChangers out front and one in the rear.

100481676_928074510997236_4650305531129364480_n.jpg

100536379_1691378467666766_1743381535307857920_n.jpg

101082566_279483769899465_879791778201337856_n.jpg

I'll say, for a barrel that was returned for poor accuracy, with the first ammo we grabbed, we were pretty pleased with it.

Reactions: RandomWAguy
Yeah I got a big issue too with the Bartlein Prefit Barrel for my CZ 455. But it is the opposite problem. Dang thing shoots so good now I can't come up with a good justification for my wife to buy another bolt action 22LR. ;)

What do you want for that used Tomatoe stake?
I like tomatoes and have a 457 MTR that needs a barrel from you guys :giggle:

No doubt that the chamber and bore are good in that barrel, but there is more to a good shooting rifle than just that.

With these CZ rifles, there are some pretty big manufacturing tolerances that may have contributed to excessive headspace in your customer's rifle. Or, ignition may need tuning. Or, action torque may not be adjusted properly. Or, the pillars and action aren't making proper contact. Or, any combination of the above. Or,... Well, you get the idea.

Whatever the case, Cudos to y'all for taking care of your customer. Now, whatever you do, don't change a thing with your shop rifle! Everyone wants a rifle that shoots like that!

Reminds me of a story that someone was crap talking all over the web about poor accuracy with a LaRue.

Mark LaRue personally invited him to the shop to exchange the rifle. When he arrived Mark asked him if he could fire the rifle before exchanging it and proceeded to shoot 1/2 inch groups. He asked the guy if he wanted to exchange it or keep his

He left with his original rifle and tail between his legs

I think more often is the shooter, not the barrel