• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Bolt Face odd machining mark - should I be worried?

markt073

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2020
I just purchased a CZ 457 MTR. Upon inspection today, I found a strange semi-circle mark on the bolt face. Has anyone seen this before? I've not yet fired the rifle and am concerned about potential reliability and accuracy issues.

Has anyone seen this before? Would this be safe to shoot?

Cheers,

MarkT

Bolt Face 2.jpg

I had one with what appeared to be a crack near the firing pin. Disregard the red circle on the left.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-19 152857.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-19 152857.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 103
Was that crack there from new? Or, did it form over time and over how many rounds?
It was from a new rifle.
I called CZ, sent pictures. I followed up with a phonecall and the rep that answered said that after talking to their gunsmith, there was no cause for concern and wouldn't harm anything. I ended up sending the entire rifle back to CZ and they ended up replacing the bolt body.

It was from a new rifle.
I called CZ, sent pictures. I followed up with a phonecall and the rep that answered said that after talking to their gunsmith, there was no cause for concern and wouldn't harm anything. I ended up sending the entire rifle back to CZ and they ended up replacing the bolt body.
Interesting. When they replace the bolt, did they re-burn your rifle's serial number on it?

Reactions: Golfnut721
no they did not - I had a couple issues with my rifle and wasn't happy with their customer service, but Im not going into it.
I'm returning the rifle to the vendor and going to another store to inspect another one. Other than the bolt face, anything else I should be looking for before taking it home? I'm new to the platform and would appreciate the tips.

I'm returning the rifle to the vendor and going to another store to inspect another one. Other than the bolt face, anything else I should be looking for before taking it home? I'm new to the platform and would appreciate the tips.

They will have to send the entire rifle off to CZ. Call up CZ, they were responsive to my calls and emails. I'm not sure why others havent 'chimed' in yet.
There must be a CZ mafia out here someplace that breaks knee caps if something is said about CZ products.

They will have to send the entire rifle off to CZ. Call up CZ, they were responsive to my calls and emails. I'm not sure why others havent 'chimed' in yet.
There must be a CZ mafia out here someplace that breaks knee caps if something is said about CZ products.
I don't know of any others that have had this problem, and maybe the lack of response is that no one has anything to add to an oddball situation. It should have been caught by QC or even the shop that sold it for sure.

Sounds like CZ stepped up and will look at it, what else were you looking for?

I've probably gone through 10 different CZ 457's in the last 2 yrs, still have 2 great ones. It's a great platform, especially for the money, and aftermarket options, you can do yourself.

I don't think there's a problem with any member here speaking up about product regardless of who's it is that I can guarantee you.

I don't know of any others that have had this problem, and maybe the lack of response is that no one has anything to add to an oddball situation. It should have been caught by QC or even the shop that sold it for sure.

Sounds like CZ stepped up and will look at it, what else were you looking for?

I've probably gone through 10 different CZ 457's in the last 2 yrs, still have 2 great ones. It's a great platform, especially for the money, and aftermarket options, you can do yourself.

I don't think there's a problem with any member here speaking up about product regardless of who's it is that I can guarantee you.

It was the vendor who stepped up to take the rifle back. So, I actually didn't have to use CZ's warranty centre after all.

Quick update. Today I went to a store that had 5 rifles. I had a look at all of them, carefully inspecting the bolt faces, and picked the best one, to my eyes, to take home. Here's the one I chose. Yes, it's a bit oily but you can see, no machining marks. Yay!

Bolt Face - New Rifle 2.jpg

Here's the interesting part though... Of the 5 I examined, two of them had bolts with faces that had pronounced bevels cut around the lower lug and around the edges. Here's an example:

Bolt Face - Strange Bevels 2.jpg

I have no idea why some are cut one way, and some are cut another. My thinking was to take the one without the bevels and see how it did. I figured that worst case, I could add those to it later if they were really needed.

Overall, I'm happy now. Let's hope it shoots.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It will shoot. They are probably the best factory 22's you can get.
Now you'll have to go down the ammo rabbit hole. check out the other popular rimfire forum, theres a ton of info out there. Happy new rifle day

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It will shoot. They are probably the best factory 22's you can get.
Now you'll have to go down the ammo rabbit hole. check out the other popular rimfire forum, theres a ton of info out there. Happy new rifle day
Thanks!

I just purchased a CZ 457 MTR. Upon inspection today, I found a strange semi-circle mark on the bolt face. Has anyone seen this before? I've not yet fired the rifle and am concerned about potential reliability and accuracy issues.

Has anyone seen this before? Would this be safe to shoot?

Cheers,

MarkT

View attachment 8186311
Mine has some heavy machining marks, not happy with it, but will see what happens and how it groups... I guess I could have it trued up and polished, may take .0001 - .00005 off during the process and need to shim to get the headspace set