• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 Magazine Issues; 10 Round

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
I’m just curious. . .

How many of you have had issues with CZ 457 10 Round 22 LR Magazines OUT OF THE BOX.

My observations:
- Magazine ”feels” noticeably different, less smooth when loading after 2-3 rounds. Almost like its binding.
- If I can load 10 rounds it rattles when you shake it and there is no room to “press down” on the top round to “feel“ it is loaded to capacity.

I recently had a magazine ship with (2) followers and that was the reason it was binding. This was an obvious fix.

I tried taking them apart, depressing the magazine spring and holding it under tension through one of the cross holes, reinstalling the base and letting the spring go under tension to “slap” into place (process some people are having success with when using extensions). This worked on (1) of the magazines…. The other (3) are garbage… waiting to hear back from CZ / Vendor I bought them.

I don’t know. It sounds like maybe a bad run of magazines. I have a few, from different batches, a couple years old. Zero issues ever.

Let us know what CZ/Vendor says about it. Easiest thing is to just replace them with another batch, hopefully from a better run.

It could be anything from a bad run of plastic molded cases, or followers, to a bad batch of springs.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Well, I certainly can’t speak to CZ’s factory practices, but many times arms manufacturers sub contract things like plastic magazines out. No excuse for letting them out into the wild, just pointing out that the mags I have and yours may/may not be made by the same company.

Either way it sucks that you have to deal with it.

Reactions: USMC22
Sending the 3 crap ones back to Europtic. . .

CZ wanted me to send them via fedex (they provided a label) but the nearest FedEx/UPS is 45 minutes out of my way and I’d need a box as they came via USPS. They said AFTER they got them they’d send me replacements.

At this point the returns easier and I’ll roll the dice with magazines from somewhere else.

Reactions: lash
Had good luck with anarchy Outdoors. Got my longer extended mag release there too.

I bought 3 a couple months ago direct from CZ. No issues on any of them to speak of.

I’d take the easiest way too if I were you. I haven’t had any issues with mine over the years though.

Sounds like you got some from a bad lot

Had good luck with anarchy Outdoors. Got my longer extended mag release there too.

My AoD mag extender doesn't want to feed. Aggravating

M

My AoD mag extender doesn't want to feed. Aggravating

M
🤣
I’m assuming that was a joke since I’ve not heard of a mag extender. I meant extended magazine release. Like this:

Reactions: LoCal247
I have heard that sometimes the mags are assembled wrong with springs or followers in backwards. Compare to your mags that work.

I have 8 mags from different time periods. The older ones work fine, but 2 of the newer ones don't always feed the last round correctly.

I have heard that sometimes the mags are assembled wrong with springs or followers in backwards. Compare to your mags that work.

I have 8 mags from different time periods. The older ones work fine, but 2 of the newer ones don't always feed the last round correctly.
I did try all possible configurations as well as comparing to the mags that worked. Seems the QC sucks on the mags.

I did try all possible configurations as well as comparing to the mags that worked. Seems the QC sucks on the mags.
In my 2 bad mags, I'm going to try bending the follower to different configurations and checking for flaws in the feed lips. I only use the older mags if time is important for now.

I’m assuming that was a joke since I’ve not heard of a mag extender. I meant extended magazine release.

A "magazine extender" is a taller mag baseplate that lets you add extra rounds. The one from Anarchy Outdoors that he was talking about is here:

I find that adding three rounds is indeed "iffy" -- you're asking for a lot more spring travel than what the original spring was designed for. I 3D-printed baseplates for all my CZ mags that add just one "spare" round to the 10-rd mags, and feeding is flawless.

I am aware what a magazine extender is. That just wasn’t my context. Thus my confusion with his response.

A "magazine extender" is a taller mag baseplate that lets you add extra rounds. The one from Anarchy Outdoors that he was talking about is here:

I find that adding three rounds is indeed "iffy" -- you're asking for a lot more spring travel than what the original spring was designed for. I 3D-printed baseplates for all my CZ mags that add just one "spare" round to the 10-rd mags, and feeding is flawless.
The trick is that if you're shooting PRS-style matches, you often need 12 rounds per stage. I have enough problems making hits without dealing with a mag that won't feed

M

This is what happened to me with a metal 10 round magazine.
Works great now that it is assembled properly.

....I need to find these people with "broken" steel mags and take them off their hands.
Last I knew he was a prince trying to contact you about a lump sum of money that was left to you.

The other guy was trying to contact you as a FINAL NOTICE your car warranty was about to expire. He wanted to sell you a new one to save you thousands.

An email rumor was going around that Hillary had some but no one could find the email.

• Haha
I bought one of the 10 round mags to check it out and found that is was binding as well, seemingly at random intervals both going in and out.
After watching noticed the follower was falling fairly smoothly into the mag in the video - had to disassemble the mag and check under a light where it was binding; also noticed the rounds weren't all coming nose up which was causing them to jam at the top of the feed.
Working much better now, at least on the bench - haven't tried at the range yet

Okay, so some input. I picked up a new metal 10-rounder directly from CZ-parts. First thoughts as received are that it is heavy (a relative thing and meant well in this case), it seems well made as compared to metal .22 magazines from Savage and Marlin, the only two I have to compare to. Here’s a pic next to a plastic CZ mag:

1680733155145.jpeg

So I took it to the range. Loaded it…it was tough. Very hard to load, requiring placing on a hard surface and pressing down with two thumbs. Huh!
Slapped it in and gave it a nudge to seat it. Fed okay, almost. Had to assist feed one towards the end. Sorta expected.

Dropped mag.
No, wait! Mag won’t drop. Long story short, the mag was way too tight in the mag well and the latch would not release at all. I felt pretty stupid for not testing it at home first, but I did what anyone would do. I took the action out of the stock.

This was actually trickier than it thought it would be, as the floor plate would not pass the base of the mag. Removed the mag plat and spring and barely got the metal plate off. From there, I removed the bottom metal from the action and was able to insert a knife point in enough to force the mag catch to release.

Lesson learned. I’ll diagnose and fix the metal magazine after this weekend’s Match. After I review the video posted above.

A buddy showed me his steel CZ mag. It had some file marks where he had to modify it. I don't remember what he did. He seemed to like it after he got it working.

Upon fist cursory inspection, without calipers, I think that I’ll have to remove material where the bullet leaves, file extra flange off the side fronts at least for the depth of the mag well, and either polish or adjust the sidewall gap.

Ok, I've had issues with the 10 rd plastic mags and the 3 rd extension. From what I could find it seems the spring was hanging up on the bottom of the 10 rd portion. I figured it to be some kind of burr or mismatch hanging it up. I disassembled the mag and lightly filed the insides of the 10 rd mag creating a funnel like effect if you can understand that, effectively removing whatever the spring was catching on coming out of the 3 rd extension. Since then I have loaded and unloaded each mag 3 times without issue. I'll be running them in a match shortly to see if they work properly now. Just an FYI Let me know if this helps anyone.

Ok, I've had issues with the 10 rd plastic mags and the 3 rd extension. From what I could find it seems the spring was hanging up on the bottom of the 10 rd portion. I figured it to be some kind of burr or mismatch hanging it up. I disassembled the mag and lightly filed the insides of the 10 rd mag creating a funnel like effect if you can understand that, effectively removing whatever the spring was catching on coming out of the 3 rd extension. Since then I have loaded and unloaded each mag 3 times without issue. I'll be running them in a match shortly to see if they work properly now. Just an FYI Let me know if this helps anyone.
That is exactly what I did to mine and for the same reason. A little judicious filing and they work great now.

I'll be using them again in a match this weekend.