• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457 ProVarmint vs At One

melglass

Private
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
Thinking about grabbing one or the above for mainly a kids gun and maybe a base class gun. Any disadvantage going with the At One? Guessing I can still find decent optics that will fit in the $1050 price range.

The At-One is a fairly heavy gun depending on the kid's size and if it will be used off hand that could be an issue. I like mine I do fairly well from a rest but I am
a a pretty new shooter. The adjustability could be very useful with a growing kid. OTOH with my rather oversized proportions I could use more adjustability.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentheart
Kids just shoot from the bench. Figured the adjustment would benefit them. If I haven’t been so lucky with the CZ barrel lottery I would probably just grab a Tikka. CZ452 22lr, CZ452 Varmint 17HM2, CZ455 stainless in 22, 22mag And 17HMR. All shoot way better than they should. Probably should look for something different. I’m due for a bad one. Lol

I have an at one and would go with the pro Varmint if I did it again. The msrp is $660 so it doesn’t leave much room for optics and stay in base class. The adjustments would be nice for a growing kid however.
That is the main thing holding me back. May never shoot a match at all but wold want this to be for base class if I did. Have a RimX coming if I wanted to shoot open. Any decent optic that will keep you in base class with a $660 msrp gun?

Just my opinion. I don’t have a Cz 22lr rifle.
I bought a tikka t1x 22lr before cz457 came out. Here is break down of my build
Rifle $450
AtOne t3 $210
Rail $60
Total $720
The biggest plus is I can upgrade and drop in any of tikka t3/x action into the atone stock I use for t1x.
So, maybe getting a base Cz 22lr and drop into a atOne stock. When he is ready for 223/556, get a better Cz 223 bolt rifle and drop in?

The argument could be made that if you change the stock from what the factory shipped it with you are no longer eligible for base class.
Just my opinion. I don’t have a Cz 22lr rifle.
I bought a tikka t1x 22lr before cz457 came out. Here is break down of my build
Rifle $450
AtOne t3 $210
Rail $60
Total $720
The biggest plus is I can upgrade and drop in any of tikka t3/x action into the atone stock I use for t1x.
So, maybe getting a base Cz 22lr and drop into a atOne stock. When he is ready for 223/556, get a better Cz 223 bolt rifle and drop in?

The argument could be made that if you change the stock from what the factory shipped it with you are no longer eligible for base class.
Agree. Just keep the original stock and swap out the atone stock if he wat to shoot base class match.

Looks like the base class gun will come later. The place I was going to order from sold out. Guess that’s what I get for dragg my feet. They had B-14r carbons in stock for a good price so I have one coming. It was on my short list anyway.

Reactions: AllAheadFull
I just got my hands on a 457 Pro Varmint for base class. MSRP is $588 and you can buy them for a bit less. Use a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16 scope and you can sneak in just under the $1050 base class limit. Here's my first shots and impressions on it. I also have some vids on my Tikka T1x and my CZ457 varmint.

Great video watched it last night. Pretty much have decided to go with almost the exact setup for a base class legal gun. When I went to order one last week they did not have one in stock but keeping my eye on it. Hopefully I will be as lucky as you when I do.

Damn you guys why did this thread have to go up. I've been lusting after the ProVarmint.....enablers! If one of these ever goes up for sale locally I think cash will fly out of my hands...sigh. The ProVarmint is literally ever single thing I want and nothing I don't want in a setup.

I bought my 457 Varmint MTR to do one specific job and that is to shoot the smallest possible groups off a bag. Doesn't hurt that I got a spectacular piece of walnut on mine, but love the stock for shooting with a scope off a rest. Given that I'm shooting superb groups with the MTR, it was worth every penny of the $700 I spent to get it.

I just got my hands on a 457 Pro Varmint for base class. MSRP is $588 and you can buy them for a bit less. Use a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4x16 scope and you can sneak in just under the $1050 base class limit. Here's my first shots and impressions on it. I also have some vids on my Tikka T1x and my CZ457 varmint.

Do any more testing? Got one coming that will hopefully be here before the weekend. Base and rings will be in early week so will have to rob some and rings from another CZ For initial testing. Have a DT 4-16 to go on it.

I'm slowly getting pulled into the CZ vortex as the 457 ProVarmint can be had for $515 shipped which is kinda tasty.

Gun finally came in today. Pulled everything down and torqued down the barrel to 30 in/lb and the stock to 20. Wanted to shoot it before dark so did not pull the trigger down. Wanted to get a half ass zero before it can get it to the range in a few days. 27 yards with bipod no rear bag and Aguila subsonic. Shot holes in a box then tried to hit them.
667142E6-A407-49DB-B343-0F569F51AEF1.jpegC7918283-03FC-48C3-89D1-A26A012C0C4A.jpeg

Gun finally came in today. Pulled everything down and torqued down the barrel to 30 in/lb and the stock to 20. Wanted to shoot it before dark so did not pull the trigger down. Wanted to get a half ass zero before it can get it to the range in a few days. 27 yards with bipod no rear bag and Aguila subsonic. Shot holes in a box then tried to hit them.
View attachment 7398048View attachment 7398049
Great to read I pick mine up today hopefully. Hey could I please trouble you to let me know exactly which flavor Aguila subs you are using? They have 5 different from 38 grain soft point to 60 grain lead round nose. Looking forward to range report.

Great to read I pick mine up today hopefully. Hey could I please trouble you to let me know exactly which flavor Aguila subs you are using? They have 5 different from 38 grain soft point to 60 grain lead round nose. Looking forward to range report.
SE 40gr subsonic.
Ran 300 plus rounds through it this morning. Mainly Walmart Blazer to get the barrel ready to test loads. Also shot some SE standard, Rem sub Hp, Rem Target and Action Plus. Wind was kicking up to probably 5-10 with 20mph gust so did not put targets up just shot stuff people did not pull and stuff on the berms. Had some good groups and some that the wind killed But did not pull and measure.
Really need to work on the trigger. I’m guessing 3lb probably work on it this weekend. Action was very gritty from the start but got better as I went. I have been a big CZ fan from the time I shot my first one a 452 American. Build quality is very nice on the 457.

Shot a few targets testing ammo. I put them in the 6x5 post. Very happy with the setup. It will outshoot me.
SK+ 6x5 of .365 with a best target of .226
Eley Action 40gr 6x5 of .524 with a best of .385
101 yard 6x5 of 1.108 with a best of .621

Reactions: AllAheadFull
Tried some CCI SV. Wind kept catching me but was in a hurry so did not put up flags . Took my time on the last row for a few nice targets. Upper left was fouling.
08C5CF21-831D-45B1-A522-14F762454A96.jpeg