• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

CZ 550 Varmit Heavy Barrel

snipe10

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Colorado
Anyone had a CZ 550 Varmit Heavy Barrel with the HS stock? Looks pretty reasonable price wise and the 3 CZ 22's I have are great guns. Have been looking at the Rem 700 SPS with Hogue stock and the FN A1,
thoughts?

Re: CZ 550 Varmit Heavy Barrel

I could be wrong but some CZ's require the scope to be mounted pretty high due to the bolt lift. Not sure if it's all their models but I know some do. I do like the CZ's though, never really heard anything bad about them.

I've shot a friends and it was a great shooter.
It shot very tight with 178 AMAX and 4064 loads that were tuned to my LTR>

I checked out the CZ site and look what they are offering this year:

09CZ550UrbanLETactical_png_637x200_q85.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The CZ 550 UCS is a fresh rifle concept built with a compact profile for maneuverability, reduced weight and “cold first shot” predictability. The rifle uses proven bench-rest principles by using a short stiff free floated 16” bull barrel with a target crown for consistent barrel harmonics and amazing accuracy. This barrel is enhanced with a Surefire muzzle break for soft recoil and QD suppressor compatibility. A Bell & Carlson fiberglass

stock, aluminum bedding block, oversized bolt handle, polished action, Teflon coating and a crisp single stage trigger complete the package. The balance and maneuverability of the CZ550 Counter Sniper make this rifle ideal for many tactical situations. Includes 10 round detachable magazine.</div></div>

16" hammer forged barrel with Surefire brake, 10 round magazine.

I just got my cz 550 UCS in a couple weeks ago. I was planning on getting the remington 700 USR but not only was the cz cheaper, but it was so exotic looking and i wanted to have something that not everyone else in the world would have. When I first got it in, i freaked out because the bolt was EXTREMELY stiff, like ridiculous stiff. I was thinking about taking it back, but that would have been a major pain in the ass so i just kept breaking it in by cycling the bolt a million times. After cycling it and cleaning it literally about 1,000 times, its smooth as glass. Clean and lube, clean and lube. I use EWL best lube ever. I think the bolt is a little stiffer because it is a damn heavy ass duty dual lug bolt with a Mauser style extractor. Ive been told this is a new thing by cz and man let me tell ya, when you extract that empty casing that thing goes FLYING. It is an unbelievably sexy gun, the bell and carlson stock alone is mainly Kevlar and strong as a ROCK. I sold my custom made McMillan M40A5 with a Remington heavy barrel and Remington action and McMillan a4 stock. Just wasnt doin it for me though, i had bought the set up, it came with a Burris XTR scope but ive been spoiled with my previous zeiss conquest so even though the XTR is a thousand dollar scope. Not to mention the McMillan/Remington was heavy as hell, the cz is a very refreshing change. It also comes with the surefire muzzle break which IMO IS the best muzzle break on the market at the moment. Also you can get a sure fire suppressor and do quick attach. I really love the cz ucs the over sized bolt handle is a must and it feels sooo comfortable cycling. Comes standard with a 10 round mag but on the outside of the mag it has this thick plastic which is supposed to be there to keep it snug up against the stock when its locked in, but it also looks pretty cool, and wont make a loud clink if you ejected the mag on concrete. The BEST feature is it has a trigger which has two options, the 2 pound trigger and the 2 ounce trigger. The trigger alone sells the gun. After chambering a round you can either choose to use the standard trigger, or if you are doing an extremely long range shot, or you just want your shot to be precise as possible, with your finger you push the trigger forward until it locks in place, then that thing is freakin DANGEROUS! A true hair trigger! This thing EASILY shoots .5 MOA or better with match grade ammo, like sierra matchking 168 grain. I was shooting 1 MOA consistent at 100 yard out of 5 shots, and the range master was shooting around .5 MOA out of 5 shots!!! People are very skeptical about the 16 inch barrel but do not fear, you lose very very little accuracy if any at all. I read in the latest CZ magazine there competitor at a competition shot 8 MOA at 1,000 yard CONSISTENTLY with 5 shots! Its amazing to know that this thing in such a smal package can hit center mass at 1,000 yard not problem what the hell more can you ask for??? One last thing you have to buy special CZ scope rings for it, you cant get badger or anything, because on the back rail theres a groove that goes into the action like a slot, and the cz rings have a piece of metal that slides into there. When you think about it its a pretty genius idea because it will keep that baby real snug and you wont ever have to worry about it moving or losing zero. All in all the CZ 550 UCS IS A GREEEAAATTTT tactical OR hunting rifle, im very impressed and very happy with the purchase. Anyone out there who is thinking about getting one MAKE SURE you get it off www.budsgunshop.com because he has by far the lowest price on the web for $2,040.00 which is amazing considering its a 2400 dollar gun! I would take this piece ANY DAY over a mcmillan/remington custom job, cz makes a hell of a fine quality product. Btw i have a temporary scope on it right now, but im saving up for best of the best, my budget is about $2,500 on some nice glass, any suggestions?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daddy_Likes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read in the latest CZ magazine there competitor at a competition shot 8 MOA at 1,000 yard CONSISTENTLY with 5 shots! </div></div>

That's supposed to be GOOD?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daddy_Likes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I read in the latest CZ magazine there competitor at a competition shot 8 MOA at 1,000 yard CONSISTENTLY with 5 shots! </div></div>

That's supposed to be GOOD? </div></div>

Thinking that is a misprint, I don't think an 80" group is good in anyone's book.
Well maybe me at 1000 yards, but I suck
wink.gif

haha well i guess i sound pretty n00b because i dont know what a good group would be considered at 1,000 yards. I figured 8 inch groups out of 5 shots at 1,000 yards would be good though ive never shot near 1,000 yards before because of where i live and range limitations. But if 1 inch MOA is the good norm at 100 yards, then i assume an 8 inch MOA would be good at 1,000 yards? Am i wrong??? By the way any suggestions for some high quality optics to put on it??? Thinking maybe US OPTICS 3.2-17x? yes, no?

A MOA is an angular form of measurement, the greater the distance, the larger a "MOA" is. 1 MOA at 100 yards is 1.047 inches, 1 MOA at 1000 yards is 10.47 inches.
An 8 MOA group at 1000 yards is over 80 inches.

As far as the "urban counter sniper", yes it is a sexy little beast. It is a CZ 550 varmint kevlar with the barrel cut to 16" and a surefire break installed, the price is then multiplied 4 times.

Buy the varmint, have the barrel cut down and the break installed then spend the rest on a very good scope and still have money left over for ammo.