• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: CZ 75

They are great for all of them. They are a great 400-500 out of the box gun. If you want alittle better check out the cz custom shop you can find them for around 1k they are alot of gun for the $

by far my favorite double action pistol (although I'm not a huge fan of double action)

A friend of mine has one and he loves it, by all accounts it's a great pistol. I'm not a fan of DA/SA either, but if you don't mind the CZ75 is a great option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think about the CZ 75 (concerning accuracy, reliability, and durability)?

Thanks!</div></div>

CZ estimates the round life of the slide lock at 1,000 rounds. Your mileage may vary, but not by much.

I had one of these break quite a few years back. A good friend of mine had his break twice. They only cost (back around 2003) about $40 delivered.

I spoke with CZ's stateside gunsmiths about this and was told they only rated the slide release/latch at about 1,000 rounds.

I sent to replace the recoil spring on the advice of my friend and the difference in length was a LOT (couple of CMs, IIRC).

I spoke w/ a rep at Wolff gun springs who told me part of the problem was the stock recoil spring, as supplied by CZ, although rated at 14 lbs, was closer to 10 (maybe it was 12 and 10, it's been a LONG time and I can't find the email thread off hand, that was several crashed PCs ago). Without the spring taking up the recoil of STANDARD load 115 gr FMJ bullets clocked at 1100 fps, the slide release takes a real beating. So, I replaced the slide release, and the recoil spring with a Wolff spring, and ran about two thousand rounds through the gun. No problem.

I've since put several hundred rounds more through the gun and have loaned it out to friends. You will replace either the recoil spring or the slide release or both sometime.

Check this out on the web, it's not a rumor, it's a design/engineering flaw.

Yes, they're great guns. I think I got one for something like $350 and another for just under $400 at the time. They sit in the safe now, waiting for the apocalypse, while I shoot SIGs almost exclusively (HK P7M8, Kimber CDP compact too) and wouldn't trust my life on a CZ.

My heritage is mixed, with 1st Gen Czech grandparents, but I wouldn't bring their guns to a firefight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigMerv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine has one and he loves it, by all accounts it's a great pistol. I'm not a fan of DA/SA either, but if you don't mind the CZ75 is a great option. </div></div>

You don't have to carry it DA/SA you can carry it Cocked + Locked instead if you chose (at least on most models except the 75BD which has a de-cocker only).

I bought my CZ back in 1985. I must have put at least 10,000 rounds through that gun. Never broke. Others that I knew back then, same story. That was back in the day when I used to go out with my Spanish Military/Police/Guadia Civil friends with cases of govt supplied ammo. Shoot until you get bored, those were the days. I remember the EAA/Tangfolio copies had a harden steel pin accessory that you could swap in in place of the slide stop. Didn´t do much to stop the slide, but kind of makes you wonder why such a after market part was available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigMerv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine has one and he loves it, by all accounts it's a great pistol. I'm not a fan of DA/SA either, but if you don't mind the CZ75 is a great option. </div></div>

You don't have to carry it DA/SA you can carry it Cocked + Locked instead if you chose (at least on most models except the 75BD which has a de-cocker only). </div></div>

Yeah I'm aware most models are able to be carried cocked and locked. The past few years I've gone away from carrying my 1911 in favor of an M&P without a manual safety.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I know someone who is looking for a cheap handgun of quality and this is the gun that he said that he was looking at purchasing.

Back to searching

CZ estimates the round life of the slide lock at 1,000 rounds. Your mileage may vary, but not by much.

I put 1,000 rounds through my custom in the first month......everything still looks new. I've been following the CZ's on the forums for years and this is the first I have ever heard of a weak slide lock. Mine eats round nose and hollow points perfectly. If your buddy is interested in the CZ, buy the thing. The CZ75s are believed to be used by more police and military units than any other handgun in the world. The failure rate is only 7 times in 15,000 rounds.......makes it kind of hard to believe that the slide lock breaks every 1,000 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, thanks for the advice.

I know someone who is looking for a cheap handgun of quality and this is the gun that he said that he was looking at purchasing.

Back to searching </div></div>

Why ?
I've had 8 CZ75's ,a mix of B's and Pre B''s ( still have 4 ) with 10's of thousands of rounds through them with zero issues. They are extremely well built, accurate and reliable. I've never ever heard of anything so ridiculous as the 1000 slide stop life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lane223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it the CZ75B model that had the slide stop breakage issue?</div></div>

In my case, yes. Friend's gun was CZ75B, neighbor's AND my two guns were the same model.

All four guns had broken slide stops.

It would take some time to dig up. I'd posted this saga here a few years back, IIRC, and also on the high road (before they booted me for suggested some TEOTWAKI scenarios and actions the mods found objectionable, although historically accurate) and the CZ forum.

Do a web search for "CZ slide stop failure" or breakage or something and it'll come up in archives somewhere.

It's a well-known and documented issue. My biggest surprise was talking to the US factory gunsmith (name forgotten after maybe 8 years) who assured me their factory rating for the part was ONLY 1,000 rounds.

I used to put that through a good pistol in 2 or 3 range trips sometimes less.

NB

EDIT: my bad. it's 1,500 rounds. People argue with this. This is from the factory gunsmith. Not me. It's not BS. I've had two broken slide stops, my friend who used to work in a gun store selling CZs and owned several had MANY broken stops (I'll ask, but it was three or four), my neighbor, and others. Rare? I don't think so, not if you shoot them.

Message from Mike Eagleshield (gunsmith @ cz-usa.com) from October 2008 (I found the messages):

"Answers:
1.We stock Wolff recoil springs in several weights (11, 14, 16 & 18lb).
2.The factory only rates the slide stop for 1,500 rds.
3.No need to send back the broken stop. Just give me your address and I will
send out a replacement."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lane223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was it the CZ75B model that had the slide stop breakage issue?</div></div>

It's a well-known and documented issue. My biggest surprise was talking to the US factory gunsmith (name forgotten after maybe 8 years) who assured me their factory rating for the part was ONLY 1,000 rounds.

I used to put that through a good pistol in 2 or 3 range trips sometimes less.

NB

EDIT: my bad. it's 1,500 rounds. People argue with this. This is from the factory gunsmith. Not me. It's not BS. I've had two broken slide stops, my friend who used to work in a gun store selling CZs and owned several had MANY broken stops (I'll ask, but it was three or four), my neighbor, and others. Rare? I don't think so, not if you shoot them.

Message from Mike Eagleshield (gunsmith @ cz-usa.com) from October 2008 (I found the messages):
</div></div>

It is neither a well known nor a well documented problem. In my years of dealing with handguns you are the only person I have ever heard say this.

Plus, you posted that the slide stop is only rated for 1,000 rounds, then quickly change it to 1,500. Information is changing already, making the rest of the claim suspect also.

After a 45 minutes search on the net for CZ slide stop failure, I concluded that the slide stops may actually break at some point in time. 3 or 4 guys claim having broken a slide stop. About a dozen guys then post asking how legit the concern is. In almost every case people chime in claiming the slide stop is going to last much longer than 1,500 rounds. The few cases of broken slide stops seem to occur to competition level shooters with handguns that have tens of thousands of rounds.

To me, this appears to be a clear case of a couple of failures being blown out of proportion by the uninformed and then accepted as fact. Alternatively, do a search for failures with the new Gen4 Glock and you would have to assume that the Gen4 Glocks are one of the most unreliable handguns on the market....... fortunately, most of us know better.

No offense intended, hopefully none taken.

CZs rock. Buy one!

+1 to gjantzer's post, this kind of crap is one of the downsides to the internet

I think it is one of the most comfortable pistols around. It is accurate and I've never had any problems with mine. The trigger is a little heavy but other than that its a great gun.