• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 750 vs Sako TRG vs Steyr SSG 08

echo94

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Canada
Ok so I'm looking for a new rifle and I'm new here and relatively new to long range shooting and precision rifles so i want to see what some of you more experienced guys think about these. Also thinking about a GAP Hospitaller or Crusader but if anyone knows of any other rifles that i should have a look at then I'd love to hear about those too.

Re: CZ 750 vs Sako TRG vs Steyr SSG 08

SAKO TRG22, I saw one 3 week ago, Original was 26", this shooter has it cut down to 20" it look beautiful in Green, but the group size is Kick ass with federal match, he put 4 round into a one hold size that fit it all into a haft the penny at 100meter, very impressive. I had a CZ750 a while back, sold it because I din't have time to spend on it, but it was a shooter also, base on the mauser98, have shoot the SSG08 twice from a guy I know, very slick gun, also a top knot shooter. What ever you looking at, Out of the 3 are you looking at, it not just a off the shell gun, but quite abit more toward Custom...

I have a TRG-22. I am not sure if a custom rifle from GAP would cost more or less than the Sako based on tariffs and such (fill us in on the price difference please). I purchased mine for around 2500 USD, which is around 500 bucks less than a custom rifle. If it is within 100-200 then it is not as much of a no-brainer. Here is my pro vs con list for the TRG.

Pros
-Arguably the most accurate factory rifle out there
-Three lug bolt (shorter bolt throw)
-Fantastic fit and finish
-Tested and proven military grade platform

Con
-Availability and price of accessories.

That con is big for a lot of people. If you can find a used setup off here and get a rifle with 2-3 mags, a sako bipod, and possibly a brake for around 3000-3500 you should grab it. You can shoot it with any type of bipod as it has a rail in the forend but, alot of people like the sako bipod. The ATLAS bipod has a spigot that mounts in the factory point coming out soon and that will probably be what I go with. I keep begging JBWIII to make some mags for the TRG series once he is done with the AICS morta mags...we'll see. All in all it is a wonderful platform-I have made use of the single mag they include with the rifle. it is not ideal but it works until I see some for a lesser price. I also don't shoot a brake (it is just a 308). I just moved a Harris bipod over and went shooting. Enjoy whatever you get. The Fins make a nice rifle.

Josh

Yeah the Sako is my first choice but that con you mentioned was pretty big for me. The way i worked it out was that the TRG with the scope, mounts and sako bipod i wanted would make it around $5500 CAD but i would be more than willing to get a cheaper bipod and mounts. Would probably be able to get a cheaper one from the forums here but i don't know how the importation would effect the price. The Steyr is about 6350 with glass which is a bit rich although i could maybe justify it if i found some info on it being significantly better than the other two, although i doubt that it is. Finally the CZ is going to be about 4500 but I've heard some things about bad triggers. The GAPs are really nice but I've heard about pretty long wait times and like I said I don't know about importation, was kind of hoping for something that i could order within Canada like the other three to cut down on wait times.

my TRG was a sub 1/2 moa shooter out of the box and Never had an issue. I have played with the CZ 750 and for the $$$, I feel that it is a pretty darn good deal. Cz's are well made rifles and handguns. You can't ever go wrong with a GAP built rifle. If you want a factory gun without the wait of a custom build...go TRG or Accuracy International AE.

The TRG is looking pretty good about now, and i could shoot it off a pack or a borrowed harris or something until Atlas puts out the bipod for it. The only other thing I'm wondering about is what the most cost effective option for mounting a scope on it would be.
Any thoughts?

Get a TRG they are tack drivers. If your worried about the cost of factory accessories just don't get them there are quite a few companies that produce components for TRG's without the factory price tag.

Badger makes a 20moa rail for the TRG same price as SA Rem, =/-$150 US. Have one on mine, no worries. Available from EuroOptic. Warne also makes one, don't know if canted or flat, about $90 USD last one I saw listed. AG

Badger it is, now just to find a decent set of rings and choose a scope and then i can get to work on getting the gun together. Thanks for everyone's help btw.

Out of the 3, Sako TRG22, CZ750, and Styer SSG08, best bang for the buck is still Sako TRG22, Styer SSG08 is Nice, price are 5200CAD I had price out, way more than SAko trg22, Both of this gun are considered to be Top knots.

if you are on a budget and want a very accurate rifle look at a steyr SSG PII they are kick ass accurate the test target with my rifle is under 1/4" well under and now you can get a weaver type rail that slides right onto the reciever they can have any optics fitted easily they are light accurate and with 5 and 10 round mags easily available they are a good thing i believe they are better than the newer models. some dont like the stocks but they are adjustable for length of pull from the factory the grip is on the smaler size but cumfortable if you use a 50mm objective or smaller the cheek piece is fine as it is not adjustable. also if you want a shorter rifle get the P4 as it has a long flash supressor that can be removed and replaced with a supressor otherwise they are a great option mine has a Kahles ZF 84 10X42 and it is calibrated for RWS 168gr ammo but it works realy well with hand loaded 175gr MatchKings