• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ magazines annoying for PRS/NRL 22

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
I shot a match over the weekend using my CZ 452, I usually use a T1x but wanted to try the old CZ again to see how I found it (much prefer the Tikka).

Rifle performed as expected but I really find myself being annoyed at the magazine location, and the big banana shape seems to make shooting off a bag and barricades more annoying than with the T1x. Admittedly if I had a chassis/stock that I loaded up with weight on the forend the balance point could be made to be just in front of the magazine but this still ends up being a long way forwards compared to what I am used to, and there isn't much space between the bipod and magazine for a bag.

I've been 95% impressed with my T1x but I have now broke two firing pins and have intermittent FTE issues that I'm considering making a change, I was considering kitting out my old 452 or 457 but a find the magazines to be notably worse than T1x mags (physically worse, they function great).
I could get a 457 and put it in a chassis with a really long ARCA rail to get more space for a bag, but the balance point still ends up being a long way forward, so will need a tonne of weight added to balance the chassis.

Does anyone else have this same issue? Or is it a 'me' thing?

CZ mags aren't the best thing since sliced bread that's for sure.

I stuck my CZ in a KRG and it isn't any better. There's a 3d printed 'take up the space' bit I got, but haven't wanted to bang it into place just yet

The guys with AICS pattern mags don't seem to have any issues, but the CZ isn't like that.

Aah well. I'm not ready to drop Voodoo (sp?) money on a rimfire just yet so I'll made do

M

If you have an Arca rail, this will work wonders for you.

CZ mags aren't the best thing since sliced bread that's for sure.

I stuck my CZ in a KRG and it isn't any better. There's a 3d printed 'take up the space' bit I got, but haven't wanted to bang it into place just yet

The guys with AICS pattern mags don't seem to have any issues, but the CZ isn't like that.

Aah well. I'm not ready to drop Voodoo (sp?) money on a rimfire just yet so I'll made do

M
I would have thought that being in a Bravo it would be less of an issue as you have the large (AICS sized) magwell that limits your bag placement.

What do you find to be the main problems?
I've also seen complaints that it is difficult to insert the mag in the Bravo due to the CZs factory magwell beign hard to locate in the Bravo magwell, how do you find this?

Must be something about factory rimfire magazines regardless of brand. Not real hard to find complaints.

I would have thought that being in a Bravo it would be less of an issue as you have the large (AICS sized) magwell that limits your bag placement.

What do you find to be the main problems?
I've also seen complaints that it is difficult to insert the mag in the Bravo due to the CZs factory magwell beign hard to locate in the Bravo magwell, how do you find this?
the bravo has a big open area around the magwell. Big enough to fit the mag into. Takes some 'finding.'

M

My son's 457 is in an XLR chassis and it feeds mags easily. I agree that the mags themselves are meh. I have his chassis loaded up with front and rear weights.

I would think you get some styrene or something and glue it in and shape yourself a magwell to at least reduce amount of hunting for the hole.
I got a 3d printed doo-dad to take up the room. I just haven't wanted to fit it yet

M

I actually started using 2 5 round flush magazines because of this.
This. I figured it was easier to practice mag changes than deal with shenanigans from bumping mags into bags or barricades and having the rifle balance rearward ass heavy.

I started with a Savage MK II TR. I looked at the CZ's, but the way the mag is is very similar to the Savage. I ended up getting the bergara. If you mount an ARCA rail on any rifle, you can add a sop like the AREA419 so you can drive it into a barricade without affecting the function of the magazine.

I used this mag well adaptor on my 457 KRG Bravo. I liked it better than the Anarchy Outdoors brand as it just snaps in (and out) . I was skeptical when I ordered it but the fit was really good. The AO filler has been known to crack where it screws down. ( See Youtube )

I have " A few" other 457's that are in factory stocks. I'll admit that they all differ slightly in ease of mag loading. They can be especially challenging if you only use the rifle from time to time. ( i.e. Going from shooting my B14R or Vudoo for weeks then switching to a 457 takes a learning curve. It will be no different if your main rifle is the TX1.) I found the key to faster mag insertion is to use an extended mag release (AO makes the longest BTW). I then use my ring finger of my loading hand to and key off that release to locate the opening in the stock ( all in one motion) With practice (at home) that method has made the task much smoother and faster.

Last edited: