• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ452 16" at 400yds

cms81586

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2005
AZ
Took my CZ out to 400yds on a full size steel sillhouette this past weekend. I was surprised how accurate .22LR still is at that distance. It was pretty windy and with a little hold over I was averaging 8/10 hits. In the video below I missed shots 1/2/6 and hit the rest for 7/10. I'm going to push out to 500 next time just to see if I can do it but at 400 my holdover was almost at the bottom of the field of view in my scope...so I'll have to shoot and then acquire the target in my sight picture to see if it's a hit or not.

Specs:
-CZ452 2EZKM 16" Factory Threaded with no mods
-Bushnell 4x32 Duplex reticle
-Harris Bipod
-Federal 36gr Bulk Pack ammo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIY6gvNkAXs

Re: CZ452 16" at 400yds

nice with a 50yd zero on 15x @ 325 yds my holdover is out of my field of view. if i hold the bottom on my fov on the top of the bracket that holds my plates (about a foot lower than the bracket) i was getting hits. i was just screwing around seing if i could do it without dialing. nice shooting

That must be a very smooth bolt, barely lifted a finger.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Playerz1337</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That must be a very smooth bolt, barely lifted a finger.
smile.gif
</div></div>

That particular rifle has about 20k rnds through it so the bolt is like butter.
smile.gif

Good shooting! Might even have better luck with standard velocity since it doesn't have to pass through transsonic.

Planning to try out the same with my CZ 452 American 16" suppressed at Whittington next month or so.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Anything past 16" just slows you down with a 22. If I was to supress one it would definitely be intergral.

I understand this is a little readership than many forum members, but especially .22 shooters need to quit thinking velocity.

In fact was caused by having heard too many times people saying "14-16" is just a waste velocity" my stroke last month.

Bench .22 guys long barrels, for lower SD.

.22 velocity needs to be SV/subsonic. HV is nearly all transsonic by 88yd anyway.

Big SD wrecks elevation changes; BC is all 40gr about long.

Barrel isn't a big deal, but the heavy bench guys often 26-28".
So please, no more strokes, no talk about "no more than 16".

Frog5215 - thought the longer barrels might be for more consistant SV - do you (or anyone) have any chrono data to show this??

Damn, if I could make a rimfire action that smooth, i'd be done searching for a trainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juniorARshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frog5215 - thought the longer barrels might be for more consistant SV - do you (or anyone) have any chrono data to show this?? </div></div>

RFC, maybe , a guy, MKnarr.
I don't bench myself, but his suggest BR champions do the long barrels like I said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frog5215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand this is a little readership than many forum members, but especially .22 shooters need to quit thinking velocity.

In fact was caused by having heard too many times people saying "14-16" is just a waste velocity" my stroke last month.

Bench .22 guys long barrels, for lower SD.

.22 velocity needs to be SV/subsonic. HV is nearly all transsonic by 88yd anyway.

Big SD wrecks elevation changes; BC is all 40gr about long.

Barrel isn't a big deal, but the heavy bench guys often 26-28".
So please, no more strokes, no talk about "no more than 16". </div></div>

Unless your name is Bill Calfee don't lecture me on rimfire.
Rimfire BR guys aren't trying to shoot 300-400 yards, so your theory that getting the most velocity one can out of good match ammo is unecessary is pompous bullshit you probably like hearing yourself say. Check out Bill's work on cutting a barrel back until its a stub when he was propegating his theory of 6 o'clock FP position-it'd open your eyes regarding accuracy and rimfire barrel length.
Thanks for the knee jerk reaction to my post, instead of reading what the original poster was talking about-or do you, in your infantile wisdom, feel that suppressing a 16" CZ452 would shrink his SD as well?
See how your 28" BR rimfire does prone off a bipod at 300-400 yards. I'm sure the extra time in the barrel that the shooters followthrough has to effect the POI is irrelevant to in your opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

Sir
I went looking for Mr. Bill Calfee's work to read but could not find it - can you please point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance for your time.

Most of Bill's work is in steel in rimfire benchrest for the past four or five decades, but he did publish a lot of entertaining and informative pieces in "Precision Shooting" and for the American Rimfire Association.

Nice! I've only been to 300 so far myself, got video of it, and you can see the verticle spread on the target is something else. I'm going to try again soon with some Eley Black and see if it improves.

Not sure I want to go to 400, but you'll never hear me knock anyone for doing it! Heading out this weekend to shoot some rimfire with a buddy, we'll see how far we can go with a larger steel target.

Branden