• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ452 Varmint or American?

skatz11

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
Lexington, KY
Does anyone own both of these CZ rimfires in .22? I'm trying to decide which to get. I think I want the varmint, however I'm curious to how much the barrel contour is different. A pic of the two rifles next to each other would be great if anyone has one...

Re: CZ452 Varmint or American?

I love the varmint. I have the action fully disassembled right now and it really shows the beefiness of the heavy barrel and action. I could knock out an elephant with this thing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going with the varmint for sure.

Or, you could go with the American 16" threaded model. Then get yourself a suppressor to put on that bad boy. Now that is a barrel of fun!

DSC_0030.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvdt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to threadjack, but what do you guys think about the new 455 American ? I was thinking of picking one up as a trainer.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/</div></div>

Wow. Looks like all 452s are being discontinued except for the 16" threaded version and the .17HMR versions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtrema44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Irelander that is a thing beauty!!!!!</div></div>

Thanks bro. It brings a smile to my face everytime I wack and unsuspecting crow with it. Most of the time his friend just think he passed out which allows me another shot.

I really like the 16' threaded rifle shown above. I couldn't find the threaded barrel on the CZ web site. It is a factory offering? Can you provide the product #? How is the trigger, is it adjustable, if so, how light will it go?

Hi if you dont have to get it today or tomorrow wait until the 455 with the ease of barrel changing it would be the model to get, also the take down screws are int he correct position i can see a lot of trainers being made up like the Sako Quads were i might have to ask Tom Manners if he can do a stock like he does for the Quads as these i am geusing would be more popular considering the cost of the starting rifle. as for bolt knobe i have fitted Tac Ops knobs to two Brno 453 22's and they are large but can be fitted with knowlidge.

I think this is the best improvment on the Brno 22 in 40 years here in Australia every 2nd person has a Brno 22 from a model1 like in my safe tot he 453's some have multple Brno's the action also looks bigger in diameter and that is a great thing i hope that the mags will be modified so you can use a 22lr mag in the same mag box as the magnums so you wont need to stick with a magnum so the bolt stop amd floor plates dont need changing allowing total barrel changes from 17hmr, 22lr and 22mag that would be awsome.

Just read the comparison the plastic spacer int he rear of the magnum magwell is very basic but works well and being able to use the standard 22 mags is a plus at least they seem to be thinking of the ease of barrel changing i just wonder about the missing locking lug if they will be as accurate i think when they arrive here in Australia i might have to buy one and build up an awsome trainer.

I've had Varmints and Silhouettes (same action as Varmint but Monte Carlo synthetic stock) and the next one I get will be an American. I don't like only having the one action screw, because I bed everything. Since the varmint has the barrel lug I bedded it and the receiver on the Silhouette.

I'm not so sure about the 455. Looks more gimmicky than functional. If I want a different caliber I'd rather have a different rifle. If I'm not mistaken the 452's are screwed in barrels which is one major reason to like them. Going to a system where 2 set screws push the barrel into the receiver doesn't sound (to me) like an inherantly more accurate system than a screwed in tube.

the biggest thing i see going for the 455 is being able to get a lilja barrel or similar and drop it in if the factory barrel is not performing as expected like a lot of people did with the Quads. i dislike the seccong take down screw in the barrel and we remove them and ad a seccond take down screw inthe action area and bed the whole action floating the barrel on the 452's they are the most popular rimfire here in Australia. i would love to see how they shoot and a straight .950 fluted barrel would be awsome on one around 18" long and threaded with a cap. then mabe a manners stock? just dreaming now.

A barrel held in by set screws does not give the same harmonics as a screwed in barrel, also it is more temperature sensitive for accuracy. this is of course my opinion ymmv

Irelander, I wonder why they would do that and whats the big hipe pn the 17 hmr..I've owned two and no matter what it's windy out in my part and they just don't cut it.. I had a ruger 77/22 in mag and found some remington's with v max bullets and they were great in the wind and in my 2cents droped game why harder than the 17...
Just my 2cents..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the 16' threaded rifle shown above. I couldn't find the threaded barrel on the CZ web site. It is a factory offering? Can you provide the product #? How is the trigger, is it adjustable, if so, how light will it go?</div></div>

Yes, the 16" threaded version is a factory offering. It comes with 1/2x20 threads so you need an adapter to convert to 1/2x28 threads for a suppressor. I'm not sure of the part number but you can see it on the CZ website:
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-american/
The rifle pictured without the scope is the 16" model. I believe they just call it the CZ American 16". If it has a 16" barrel, it will be threaded.

The trigger is adjustable but to really get a nice trigger you need a Brooks trigger kit. It's an easy kit to put in and it makes your trigger as light as you want. I'm not sure how heavy mine is but it is light and crisp and of course safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xtrema44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Irelander, I wonder why they would do that and whats the big hipe pn the 17 hmr..I've owned two and no matter what it's windy out in my part and they just don't cut it.. I had a ruger 77/22 in mag and found some remington's with v max bullets and they were great in the wind and in my 2cents droped game why harder than the 17...
Just my 2cents..</div></div>

I don't own a .17HMR but I have shot a few. They are plenty accurate when the wind is down and are pretty devastating to game. But where there is wind there is going to be problems with the .17. I too prefer a .22 mag over a .17HMR.

I decided to go with the 452 Varmint. Should be arriving soon!

Shatz11,

Seeing as you asked about mine...

There's a high spec Rimfire Magnum Varmint stock inletted for CZ452 American on McMillan's internet specials list at the moment.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-specials-misc.php

Easy enough to open out the barrel channel to Varmint and I'm sure if you don't want it there will likely be a taker around here.

TC

Thanks for the tip on the McMillan stock! I might have to call McMillan tomorrow to see if its still there.

I have experience with both and prefer the American. It comes with two action screws and to me feels better in the hand and looses nothing in accuracy just a pound or so lighter.

I will answer from the Varmint side to address the barrel lug screw...REMOVE it and bed the action. Don't let the barrel screw be the reason to not purchase the varmint.
I prefer the heavy barrel and have been very please with the performance of the rifle with only 1 screw and the bedding holding it all together.

Woops, looks like I am behind the times...Enjoy your new rifle.!!