• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ455 zero range and ammo selection

Slateman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2013
I did it!! Bought myself the CZ455 Tacticool I've wanted for a while now. Finally saved up the money and bought it at a show.

So now, I bought this for two reasons: First, general practice. Want to continue to hone my skills.

The second was preparation for buying a longer range gun in .308 or 6.5CM (haven't decided yet, no where near ready for that. But it's good to have goals to work towards).

Now, with that second option in mind, would I be better off zeroing at 50 yards, and using drops/holds for 100+? Or zero out to 100?
I curretnly have access to a 100 yard indoor range, 100 yard outdoor range, and limited access to a friend with land that he can shoot out to 250 yards

Also, what ammunition should I try in it? So far, I've shot:
- Eley Sport
- Federal (40gr Copper Plated solid)
- CCI Minimag (40 gr copper plated HP
- CCI standard velo (40gr lead)

Eley grouped the best so I figured I'd try to find some Eley Match. Also going to look for Wolf match.

I found 50 yards to be boring after a very short time.
Useful for sighting in a freshly mounted scope, but not enough of a challenge.
100 yards is where I spend most of my rimfire time with 200 yard mornings when the wind cooperates.
Any of the mid-grade ammo is fine for practice, Wolf ME, SK Match, CenterX,
but for the best results at the longer distances, Midas+, Tenex and RWS R50/100.

If you sight in at 50 then you'll have 7" drop at 100. JBM has ballistics for Eley, which matches other standard velocity.22 pretty closely. You can use that to decide how much hold you want to use. If you sight in at 100 then you'll have to hold low at 50. Best thing to do is save up a little and get a scope with target turrets that you can adjust to the distance you're shooting. A .22 has such a rainbow trajectory that holdovers are not going to be easy without a marked reticle or adjustable turrets.

Yep. Highly repeatable clicks or a great reticle with lots of stadia makes reaching out a lot more fun.

Where you zero almost doesn't matter with good stadia and / or repeatable clicks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I zero all my 22 rimfires at 50 yards but mine are set up for competition not hunting.

If you're doing it, do it right so you'll be learning things that will help you when you move on to centerfire. Put a 20 or 25 moa mount on it, get a decent scope like a 16x or 20x SWFA mil or moa quad so you can learn to dial exactly for each distance. With this combination you'll be able to dial out past 300 yards and down to 25 yards.

Shooting a rimfire these distances is great practice for long-range CF shooting, you'll learn to pay attention to the hints Mother Nature is giving you for conditions. Don't even try messing with holdover, just not accurate enough for tiny targets at all the various distances.

Good luck

Topstrap

Last edited:
Glad I got some responses.

I got a 20MOA rail. I ended up getting Cabela's Covenant Tactical 4-16x. We'll see how this works. I bought it mainly because I ended up a with a gift certificate and a Cabela's recently opened up by my house. Never been to one combined with the gift card and I figured, let's try the scope. If I hate it, Cabela's is pretty reasonable about returns. And, IIRC, it's made by Vortex. The reticle is only okay, and the clicks are little soft (not mushy, but not really definitive).

I don't see me doing any hunting. Not sure I'll do competitions either, but it sounds like a 50 yard zero might be more beneficial to me in the long run.

Two things -

(1) Congrats on your purchase. I love my CZ 455 and I (and others) have found the Wolf Extra Match to shoot well out of it) Eley Match stuff too.

(2) In the future, get the 6.5CM. Far better ballistics than the .308

Enjoy.

Love my CZ455 Trainer. I use a 20 MOA rail, and a SWFA SS 10x. Wolf ME zero'd at 50 yards. My longest kill is on a cormorant at 327 yards. 15.1 mil elevation. Love this rifle.

Best,

Will

My son's 455VPT is set up just like this. Wolf ME, zero at 50yards. Works great.

I've zeroed my 22's that I shoot "long range" at 100 yards. For hunting I go with 50. My cz455 has liked all of the ammo I've put through it. Eley was the best, but the differences were tiny.

50 yard zero, with sk+ ammo, and dial up for anything further out. Using a vortex PST version 2 for a scope and a 25 MOA mount from dip.

The is more than enough elevation movement to get to the further ranges.

50 yard zero where my CZ has no issues of punching out 1/4" groups. Kinda hard to get a true zero at 100 where human factor errors are magnified...
Match ammo (subsonic) is pretty much the only way to go in the long range rimfire game.

Zero at 50, dial to 100+

6.5 is the better round, but there are NO cheap practice rounds if you don't reload ($1.05+ per round). .308 has more recoil, but has non-match practice rounds available for 50 cents per.

HUGE jump in ammo cost from .22LR

consider a good .223 and possibly competing with it, as the current crop of ELD ammo makes it fairly competitive; no difference if you're not already placing top 10 any way

I like the Tikka T3x Varmint .223; you can practice with $0.30/round ammo at short to mid range, and quality ELD match at 600+

I love banging steel with my 455V and 4.5-14 LRT M1 with the VH Reticle,,with the dial maxed out I can get to 400 yards on the bottom line on the reticle ,,I can dial to 300-325 depending on ammo and conditions,,,

300 yard dope with subsonic 22 LR is about like 1,000 yard 308 dope,,close enough for good practice at least,,

Was out prairie dog hunting this past weekend. With a solid 50 yard zero, was able to dial to 200+ yards with ease. A good scope and matching ammo will work wonders

Wolf Match Extra works great for me at 50. SK Match (gold box) seems to hold up better at 100. The top of the line Eley and Lapua Midas Plus were both better at 100. At 50 I couldn't tell the difference between Eley, Lapua and Wolf.
If you don't have a scope yet check out the Sightron SIII 10-50. Focuses down very close and having the extra magnification helps me at longer distances. I zero at 50 then dial up.

Love my CZ455 Trainer. I use a 20 MOA rail, and a SWFA SS 10x. Wolf ME zero'd at 50 yards. My longest kill is on a cormorant at 327 yards. 15.1 mil elevation. Love this rifle.

Best,

Will

:D. 15.4 mils w/cci sv @326 with my 452 20moa base...at 50yd zero!!

At 300 yards, 20 MOA scope mount, CCI SV with a 50 yard zero I'm at 15.1 mils out of a CZ455 with a 16.75" barrel. Thinking pretty hard about sending the rifle off to the Lapua test center in Arizona. Cost a little more $$$ up front but believe it would ultimately save time, money and effort.

Is there much of a gain/ loss between the Nagy 455 models? I was thinking varmint but I keep seeing great reviews on this tacticool model. Other than possibly the best named 22 rifle what does the tacticool get you? Just stock style abr threaded barrel?

Was out his weekend testing ammo in my Savage MKII.

Prime Bolt is absolutely awesome but a little slow!!! Prime Semi Auto is right behind it but a lot faster!!!

SK Gold box was awesome as well.

Federal Gold Medal HV had flyers I could not account for....

I'll be getting more Prime for sure.

Is there much of a gain/ loss between the Nagy 455 models? I was thinking varmint but I keep seeing great reviews on this tacticool model. Other than possibly the best named 22 rifle what does the tacticool get you? Just stock style abr threaded barrel?

Yes, or at least that is my understanding.

This is sk standard shot out of my 16.5 inch tacticool at a steel gong at 400 yards

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 26