• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cz457 MTR

ta6ppc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2009
Ft. Worth TEXAS
What’s the real world performance of this rifle, I have read some good glowing reviews and I have seen some down right damning reviews and folks talking about having to buy custom barrels etc.. I have also seen where folks talking about trigger adjustment and pretty much note there isn’t any true adjustment that can be realized.

I am considering one for my wife/ kiddos to perhaps use and break the ice with some local club match NRL style shooting.

I’d like to hear some real world experience with the MTR specifically as it’s the only CZ I am considering. I currently own a Vudoo, and a B14r so the bar is quite high already.
Thanks in advance

What’s the real world performance of this rifle, I have read some good glowing reviews and I have seen some down right damning reviews and folks talking about having to buy custom barrels etc.. I have also seen where folks talking about trigger adjustment and pretty much note there isn’t any true adjustment that can be realized.

I am considering one for my wife/ kiddos to perhaps use and break the ice with some local club match NRL style shooting.

I’d like to hear some real world experience with the MTR specifically as it’s the only CZ I am considering. I currently own a Vudoo, and a B14r so the bar is quite high already.
Thanks in advance
I have one. Shoots SK LR and Eley Match really well. Trigger is very adjustable for take-up, over travel and down to 8 oz or less with YoDave spring.

OFG

I have owned 1 and test fired another, both would average in the low to mid 3s with a lot of ammo they liked, then triggers are good, I use trigger springs I purchased on Ebay for 8.99, pull weight was about 7 or 8 oz with these springs after proper adjustment

Reactions: Appalachian
I have the CZ455 Precision Trainer now that Im actually selling to a buddy as I have the New CZ457 MTR Precision Trainer on order. I really really like the 455 overall great rifle for the money, I went through about every variation of ammo possible to find what shot best out of it. Chrono'd and measured groups, the cheapest I shoot is CCI Standard really decent groups, if Im gonna shoot a match or really want to tighten the groups up SK Match or Wolf Match is what it likes best. On all my 22LR's the ammo made more of a difference than anything until you get into a Match Barrel/Chambered Rifle. I think like anything else its a question of how much money you want to spend and how tight of groups are you looking to get for your money.

Last edited:
I had an MTR..would shoot great at 50 yards..especially when it was hot outside..it wouldn’t shoot well at a 100 and over for nothing..And I tested all kinds of ammo for months. I had to get a benchmark 3 groove made, shot great after that.

Just got the new 457 together and everything setup where I want it, anyone that says the trigger adjustment can't be realized is crazy. I have multiple smith built match rifles with Jewel Triggers, Trigger Tech, Timney Calvin Elite, and this is a very nice factory trigger. You can adjust travel, reset, and weight with quite a large range in either direction. Sighting in today so I'll post groups later.

Attachments

• 20210423_193425.jpg
    20210423_193425.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20210423_193557.jpg
    20210423_193557.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210423_193627.jpg
    20210423_193627.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210423_193737.jpg
    20210423_193737.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 98
Just picked up a mTR also. Supposed to be here Tuesday. Wondering how much better it will be than my pro varmint if any. But my pro varmint now has a lilja barrel and krg bravo stock. Took it out for the first time yesterday and shot a .345” group at 50yds. Before the lilja barrel the pro varmint was in the .5-6” 50yd range . Hoping the MTR is a shooter

This is right outta the box, sighted it in and shot one 5 shot string at 100yds with CCI Standard Ammo. Didn't take anytime to measure or try the Eley or SK ammo as the winds today are running 12-15 so I wasn't going to try and really dial it in. Shot 5 to sight in and 5 shot string so this is the first 10rds on the rifle. This was also all suppressed rounds so I also haven't dipped into POI change from Suppressed or not just FYI...

Attachments

• IMG_0043~2.jpg
    IMG_0043~2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
That looks to be .70-.80” CTC with CCI SV in the wind. If one group could tell you anything it would say “ I don’t know if I can do it again”.

That looks to be .70-.80” CTC with CCI SV in the wind. If one group could tell you anything it would say “ I don’t know if I can do it again”.
Hahahaha I dunno about that I'd guess a little larger group than .80", I'm not the best shot around but I think the rifle shoots pretty good so far and I frequently have shooting days I cant duplicate... Some good some bad...

Reactions: Appalachian
I only have 500 rounds through my 457 mtr currently. The wind won’t freaking stop blowing. 😔 I’ve only shot 50 yards so far, but with cci standard it will hold low 4s, and it will shoot low 3s with Sk standard plus. Hoping to get an appointment with lapua to test there stuff in it soon. That might be a pipe dream though with the current shortages. With the yodave trigger, I was able to get down to 1 lb. The trigger is pretty incredible for a stock trigger.

I got mine about two months ago. It is by far the most accurate .22 I have ever had. Everytime I shoot it I am amazed. But I have never owned or even shot a Voodoo or anything in that price range. I just can't see them being that much more accurate than this rifle to justify the cost.

I got mine about two months ago. It is by far the most accurate .22 I have ever had. Everytime I shoot it I am amazed. But I have never owned or even shot a Voodoo or anything in that price range. I just can't see them being that much more accurate than this rifle to justify the cost.
I have an MTR and a Vudoo. You can't compare the two.

There is a lot of things about a Vudoo that are just nicer. It feels closer to a real rifle, smoother, and it is more accurate. I enjoy shooting both of them.

There are factory freaks, average performers, and duds in any rifle, or really anything in life. The thing to remember is that the things talked about most and the loudest are the duds because people are disappointed in a time that we expect everything to be perfect.

Everyone I know that has bought a version of the MTR has been happy with it, and I have considered buying one myself. I would not let the rare instances of people having trouble steer me away because I know that the vast majority of them shoot very well but most of those are not talked about.

100yds with wolf match extra. Kind of surprised me honestly. A little bit of a windy day. MTR might be a shooter. Stock rifle minus the stock, swapped to my Boyd’s stock that came with my pro varmint... set trigger to 2lbs ish

Attachments

• 3F91AD9D-41DE-426C-B216-BF83899745B6.png
    3F91AD9D-41DE-426C-B216-BF83899745B6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
100yds with wolf match extra. Kind of surprised me honestly. A little bit of a windy day. MTR might be a shooter. Stock rifle minus the stock, swapped to my Boyd’s stock that came with my pro varmint... set trigger to 2lbs ish

Does it shooter better in the Boyd's? The MTR stock has aluminum pillars, does the boyd stock have pillars too?

Update! So I purchased the MTR, I really like the stock and weight of the rifle. The bolt lift is pretty terrible but it’s fairly smooth for this type of rifle. I have ordered the area 419 50moa base and the yodave trigger kit. I have installed the trigger and adjusted to 8oz. I torqued the base and drug my 6-24 crimson trace 34mm tube scope off another rifle and took it to the range. I tried SK pistol match which shoots decent in my Begara and Vodoo the CZ was not very tolerant of it. It would double up a hole then scoot over half an inch and throw 3 in another hole at 50 yards. So I moved on to SK plus which this lot I have is shit hot in everything probably would do a 6x5 average of .220” at 50 yards in my B14r ended up shooting about 1/2” at 50 in the MTR.

it looks like my magazine is shaving lead when chambering, I’m gonna stone that some, probably try some different low grade ammo I have on the shelf.

I have not tuned anything, not torqued the stock, or the barrel screws, I haven’t even cleaned the barrel, just shot it.

so far I think it has some promising performance, but at the price I’m up too kinda wished I had just bought another B14r.

Reactions: PowellSixO
Update! So I purchased the MTR, I really like the stock and weight of the rifle. The bolt lift is pretty terrible but it’s fairly smooth for this type of rifle. I have ordered the area 419 50moa base and the yodave trigger kit. I have installed the trigger and adjusted to 8oz. I torqued the base and drug my 6-24 crimson trace 34mm tube scope off another rifle and took it to the range. I tried SK pistol match which shoots decent in my Begara and Vodoo the CZ was not very tolerant of it. It would double up a hole then scoot over half an inch and throw 3 in another hole at 50 yards. So I moved on to SK plus which this lot I have is shit hot in everything probably would do a 6x5 average of .220” at 50 yards in my B14r ended up shooting about 1/2” at 50 in the MTR.

it looks like my magazine is shaving lead when chambering, I’m gonna stone that some, probably try some different low grade ammo I have on the shelf.

I have not tuned anything, not torqued the stock, or the barrel screws, I haven’t even cleaned the barrel, just shot it.

so far I think it has some promising performance, but at the price I’m up too kinda wished I had just bought another B14r.

What did you torque the base to?

15 in lbs it’s the bottom setting on my torque wrench. I did use a bit of nickel anti sieze as that base is a tight fit, I had to use a rubber mallet to persuade it on.

When this thread started I had no idea that I’d buy one. I have one on the way. It had nothing to do with this thread though. I’m a sucker for nice wood and I found one on GB by chance. I won the auction for $685 plus shipping. I hope it shoots, but if it doesn’t it’s still pretty.
I hope it shoots with my best shooting CZ.

Got mine today. Did some groups at 50, where I'd get clovers. Shot it at 200 at the golf ball target reactive target and then did some drills on the 100 yard spinner. I bought mine used and went straight from the FFL to the range to get it sighted in. I might run it at the match tomorrow, with only 40 rounds behind it. It was interesting after running it for only 40 rounds and going back to the Vudoo, it took a little getting used to.

The trigger is fantastic with the yodave spring in it. I don't know how light mine is but it felt great.

15 seems very low. My Vudoo is 65 which is high, but my Tikka T1X was like 30
You asked what I torqued the base to, it’s 15 in pounds, I torqued the action screws to 25 in pounds, there are no pillars so be careful several of the old farts on rfc say the spot is 20-25 in pounds on the action screws.

if I still had a mill I’d drill some holes for pillars and make some pillars, and epoxy them in and run a torque test.

I really like the shape of the stock and the wood it’s nice!

I scored some Sk biathlon this last weekend. Anyone have experience with this through the 457? I’m hoping to shoot it this weekend.

I scored some Sk biathlon this last weekend. Anyone have experience with this through the 457? I’m hoping to shoot it this weekend.
My CZ455 Precision Trainer really liked SK Ammo... Im wanting to get a 50rd box of SK Rifle & Long Range Match, Eley Tenex, Lapua Center X, and maybe Wolf Match to run through my 457 MTR PT to see what it likes but getting your hands on even a box of this stuff is really hard these days.

Cci standard was pretty horrific for me.. unless you guys like 1/2-3/4” groups at 50 I was hoping the CZ would be more ammo tolerant than my B14r

CCI SV is very inconsistent stuff, even in a well-headspaced and well-chambered rifle with a good trigger. My buddy’s MTR runs .2-.3” consistently with certain lots of Center-X and most lots of Eley Match and Tenex. SK Long Range Match does very well for him as well. He switches between the factory and a Lilja tube depending on the match format, and honestly, the Lilja is only a little bit better with Match and Tenex.

CCI is just “decent” practice ammo in his rifle (.5-.7” at 50). It shoots to the same POA as Center X, so its utility is pretty much limited to practice (positional shooting, barricade and field support practice, or shooting at reasonably-sized steel—2 to 3 MOA targets—for wind call and ranging practice).

Cci standard was pretty horrific for me.. unless you guys like 1/2-3/4” groups at 50 I was hoping the CZ would be more ammo tolerant than my B14r
Cci standard will shoot .5s for me all day long. That’s pretty good for cheap practice ammo. I wouldn’t expect Remington corelokt to shoot .2s out of my custom rigs.

Cci standard will shoot .5s for me all day long. That’s pretty good for cheap practice ammo. I wouldn’t expect Remington corelokt to shoot .2s out of my custom rigs.
I’d like to see a .3-.4 at 50 with a “cheap” ammo which I know is kind of a pipe dream. I used to have a case of pmc zapper which would do that with most rifles though, so I know it’s possible with the ammo situation right now it’s gonna be hard to tinker

Reactions: PowellSixO
I’d like to see a .3-.4 at 50 with a “cheap” ammo which I know is kind of a pipe dream. I used to have a case of pmc zapper which would do that with most rifles though, so I know it’s possible with the ammo situation right now it’s gonna be hard to tinker
Sk standard plus will do that in my rifle. It’s on the cheaper end of the good stuff. It will hold mid .3s at 50.
28481A71-1145-4F95-964D-36DEF3210E63.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Klay23
What do you consider cheap ammo? 3 cents per round? 5 cents?

What do you consider cheap ammo? 3 cents per round? 5 cents?
Federal bulk pack, pmc, blazer, cci standard
I’d say it’s all relative now but I just don’t want to or have to feed another gun Lapua center x, Midas, or eley stuff. Honestly I’d be happy with 1/2” at 50 with the cheaper ammo but it’s not happening for me. I’ve shot a bunch of stuff like agulia pistol match, Norma, couple different pmc, I even have some Russian steel cased stuff that has shot well in the past for me.

don’t get me wrong I’m not bagging on the gun yet I just got it and haven’t tuned anything I’m gonna start playing with torque on the various screws.. prolly isso the shit out of the barrel too.

Federal bulk pack, pmc, blazer, cci standard
I’d say it’s all relative now but I just don’t want to or have to feed another gun Lapua center x, Midas, or eley stuff. Honestly I’d be happy with 1/2” at 50 with the cheaper ammo but it’s not happening for me. I’ve shot a bunch of stuff like agulia pistol match, Norma, couple different pmc, I even have some Russian steel cased stuff that has shot well in the past for me.

don’t get me wrong I’m not bagging on the gun yet I just got it and haven’t tuned anything I’m gonna start playing with torque on the various screws.. prolly isso the shit out of the barrel too.
Two things important with ammo: consistency and velocity. We pay for Eley and Lapua for their consistency - way better then bulk or even mid range. Just like working up a center fire load there will be a specific velocity that yields the smallest groups In a specific rifle. Same for rim fire. My MTR and 453 like a specific velocity Eley Match better then faster or slower. Fingers crossed - will test Center X tomorrow.

OFG

Reactions: ta6ppc
Just picked mine up at the FFL today and put some rounds through it. I broke it in to season the barrel with SK plus and then went to R50. The biggest groups after sighting in were no bigger than .5" but a few that were starting to settle in the .2s and. 3s.

The stock surprised me in that I actually don't find it boat paddle like. Well, it still is but I like it. Seems nice to shoot as is for now.

Attachments

• 20210512_185136.jpg
    20210512_185136.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 52
Just picked mine up at the FFL today and put some rounds through it. I broke it in to season the barrel with SK plus and then went to R50. The biggest groups after sighting in were no bigger than .5" but a few that were starting to settle in the .2s and. 3s.

The stock surprised me in that I actually don't find it boat paddle like. Well, it still is but I like it. Seems nice to shoot as is for now.
I’m seeing similar results with sk standard, which my lot seems to be a really good lot. However it will stick 3 in one hole in less than .2 then scoot over a little and stick 2 in another hole opening up my group to .5 or more. I’m shooting off a machine rest, free recoil, no wind environment for tuning purposes

this is kinda weird to me for it to move over like that. My scope is proven, and everything was assembled with great care and torque wrenches or drivers..

Nice looking rifle. Mine will be here tomorrow. I have a scope and rail for it, but it’ll be a couple weeks before I can shoot mine. I’m going to put a few hundred rounds of Blazer or CCI SV or whatever bulk Ammo it will chamber before I start testing with Center X and all the SK offerings.

I didn’t think I was going to like the stock either. I was pleasantly surprised though. I love it!

I shoot 50y BR matches (ARA Factory) using a CZ457 VPT in the Manners stock. I shoot against several 457 MTR's and some shoot well and others do not. I do know that mine is able to shoot 1/4" groups off of a bench with good ammo (Lapua) and has recorded 5 ARA perfect scores this year so far. I also know that the difference between a good lot of ammo and an average lot of the same brand is stunning and is likely the difference between the performances that I see. With a random lot of Eley blk or Lapua CX it might struggle to print 1/2" groups at times.

I would not claim that it will out shoot a good VuDoo with good ammo. Those as well as a good Anschutz or Win52, Sako Quad are all one step better. The difference is small but it is still there. I shoot with guys who have the Bergara B14's but have never owned one. They are better in that the Rem 700 triggers retrofit into them easily. Ammo or its limitations is the deciding factor. The trigger in the CZ is adjustable and is not that bad and with easy mods can be stunning.

Attachments

• CZ457VPT 50y.jpg
    CZ457VPT 50y.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 68
  • VPT.jpg
    VPT.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 81