• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns CZ75 SP01 Thoughts?

Nemesis Lead

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2014
Alamo, CA
I am considering getting a pair of CZ 75 SPO1s (Actually CZ Custom AccuShadows). These would be used for USPSA competition.

I am interested in hearing about your experiences with both stock versions and custom versions. Pros? Cons?

I have the sp01 and have changed the hammer, the firing pin, firing pin spring, hammer spring, trigger return spring and parts of the sear. I basically got the defensive carry package from Cajun gun works and installed it myself. It is a very good pistol for production and limited. The accu shadow has a lot of the same things done to it but also has a bushing installed that locks the barrel up a little tighter and is supposed to improve accuracy. I have never shot one and for the money do not care to ever own one. I can hit 100 yard steel with my plain Jain model with $250 worth of modifications. Recoil and muzzle flip are very manageable with the all steel frame. If you have plenty of$$$ and you want the accu shadow, then why not? Otherwise, just get the regular sp01 if you can find them. Mine is a 9mm and I shoot production. I would probably use a 40 if I shot limited so I could make make power factor. Just my 2 cents.

My SA SP-01 Shadow is hands down the easiest to shoot pistols I own. I have literally never seen any pistol dominate steel competitions with ease like this thing. Trigger is fantastic and fit and finish is nice where it counts (rough where it doesnt). If I could get a CTS I would, but the custom shop has been dry for a while. I do not have the acu bushing, but to be honest, I do not know if I would notice the difference with it. Ergononics take some getting used to if you are used to using the slide lock for dropping the slide via strong hand, that's my only negative thing to say about it

Awesome responses--thank you. Are they finicky on ammo? I have heard they like shorter loads (1.115 OAL or less).

Awesome responses--thank you. Are they finicky on ammo? I have heard they like shorter loads (1.115 OAL or less).
It depends on the bullet. I load 147gr flat points at 1.110 but I load 115gr rmr at 1.160. My favorite load is a 124gr xtreme rn at 1.130. I have had some lead truncated cones that I had to load at .990. My son in laws chamber on his m&p will not take the 147gr load without jamming into the rifling. I have had no problems finding accurate and safe loads.

The dimension of the slide stop (the part that touches the magazine follower) can get in the way of some longer bullet designs. The nose of the bullet hits the slide stop and artificially locks back the slide before the magazine is empty.

This is a known issue, and it is possible CZ Custom has re contoured the slide stop to avoid this problem. I had that problem on my factory SP-01s, but a little dremel work took care of it.

All in all, excellent shooting guns. I'm a former Glock fan, but starting shooting CZs because they dramatically improved my IPSC scores. They are just natural pointing pistols.

I am at 1800 in the 2k challenge with mine, it is most definitely not finicky. I had some 125gr JHPs that were too long for the chamber in my 9mm AR but the CZ ate them up (and shot some amazing groups might I add). I have heard they prefer heavier bullets but I am not ransom resting mine and have not noticed any differences when shooting steel

Outstanding pistols. Reliable, natural pointing... easy to work on, large community of knowledgable folks to help with issue and upgrades. CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works are top notch smiths. I shoot 124's and have no issues. As others have mentioned, you may need a mod to the slide stop for ghe 147's.

The dimension of the slide stop (the part that touches the magazine follower) can get in the way of some longer bullet designs. The nose of the bullet hits the slide stop and artificially locks back the slide before the magazine is empty.

This is a known issue, and it is possible CZ Custom has re contoured the slide stop to avoid this problem. I had that problem on my factory SP-01s, but a little dremel work took care of it.

All in all, excellent shooting guns. I'm a former Glock fan, but starting shooting CZs because they dramatically improved my IPSC scores. They are just natural pointing pistols.

I am coming from a Glock and trying to make Master Class USPSA. At 81% now. Looking forward to shooting a pistol that is nearly twice as heavy as the Glock!

A follow up question--what grips do you guys like on your CZs? I was thinking of getting a pair of the most aggressive VZs, but I head these can be too aggressive. Anyone with VZ experience?

I have the stock rubber grips and I like them most days. I bought the thin aluminum grips but did not like them. I have been thinking about trying the frags.

I have the VZ tactical diamonds on my SP01. They are aggressive, but I like them a lot. I use my SP01 for IDPA and even with sweaty or dirty hands I have a great grip.

I'm getting an SP-01 within the month. Finally held and dry fired a 75 and was extremely impressed despite my dislike of double/singles. Plus the feel/fit of the gun to my hand was amazing. Can't wait to get one.