• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D.I.P. CZ 25 MOA or flat rimfire scope base review

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
To start the thread off, anyone whom has read my previous meanderings is familiar with my use of MOA sloped or 1 piece picatinny style bases and when compared to other similiar base manufacturer's in the same price range or less, the D.I.P. (Diversified Inovative Products http://www.diproductsinc.com/) bases offer alot more for the around the same price as others.

So when I received my CZ 455, there was no doubt that the first addition to it was a D.I.P. 25 MOA base. D.I.P. makes an extended length and shorter version for the CZ, in 25 MOA, flat, and in left handed versions - all in 3/8 or 11MM dovetail applications. At the time of this review price ranges from $42.97 to $46.97, which seems more than resonable as these are do it yourself installs - no need to pay a gunsmith. There is even a model or two for the centerfire CZ 527.

First about D.I.P., they are doing things right....in a world where customer service is practically non-existant, D.I.P. gives next or same day processing of an order, and I had received my items in 3 days, even using standard postal delivery. Any questions you may have are actually answered personally from the owner of the company honestly and in a very timely manner - adding further confidence to your purchase. Instead of selling you a bill of goods you don't need just to make a sale and leave you "hanging", they actually take care of their customers, provide handy quality products (some exclusive to D.I.P.) for rimfire / centerfire rifles and a few pistol items at a price that doesn't let you feel taken advantage of. New usefull products are developed and added every few months.

***This is not a paid endorsement or am I affiliated in any other way with D.I.P., just an "Atta boy" to a company that does good business - rarely found these days, and Made in the USA is the icing on the cake.***

Some of the advantages of a MOA sloped base or even a flat picatinny base:

1. It "tilts" your scope forward, allowing for more adjustment to be made on your optic for longer shots.

2. Allows more options to mount your optic in regard to eye relief, ring placement, and scope clearances both with the bolt handle and with the objective lens (the bases have a higher profile).

3. Tends to stiffen the receiver, even if just slightly.

4. In the case of the CZ, allows any Weaver or Picatinny style rings to be used.

5. Allows the attachment of rail mounted levels / other accessories if desired.

So back to the base in question - the CZ 25 MOA 1 piece scope base. The finely finished base came with six 1/16th (at least that's what size I used) hex set screws. The bottom of the base has an 11MM (at least in my case) groove that simply slips over the 11MM receiver. It works as a tongue and groove application.

1. As when handling any firearm, make sure the firearm is unloaded!, remove magazine and bolt per the manuals instructions.

2. Remove the bolt anyway, as the bottom of the base will scrape the safety lever...line up the male dovetail (receiver) to the female dovetail (bottom of base) and slide forward. TIP: a little bit of lubrication along the male dovetail will allow a smoother fit and cause less damage to either of the finishes).

czbaseinstall1.jpg

3. Line up the cut out with your ejection port. As a multi application base for the 452, 453 and 455, the older 452 and 453 had a longer port so on the 455 the base doesn't line up flush with both sides. But that's ok, you can either split the difference or line it flush with one side or the other. I prefer to move it forward as the taper of the dovetail on the rear of the receiver gives a gradual sloped up to the base look and lining it flush with one side of the port gives me immediate feedback if the base should ever come loose (like a witness mark).

czbaseinstall2.jpg

4. Once aligned to your liking, start with a set screw to either side of the port / cut out. Make sure to use a little dab of Loctite or clear nail polish to ensure they don't come loose later. Just tighten enough to make contact with the receiver, then work your way to the other set screws.

5. Then when you are satisfied that the base is level and even, tighten down the set screw to D.I.P.'s recommended 6-8 ft lbs. I probably tightened mine down more, however you don't want to risk stripping them out.

Total installation time was well under 10 minutes.

The "Tacticool" crowd or traditionalists should find that the base does not take away from the overall look of the rifle:

czbaseinstall3.jpg

czbaseinstall4.jpg

Keep in mind these are picatinny spec grooves, and there will be some play in the groove if using a weaver base. The trick is to bump one ring against one of the ridges in the base, then bump the other ring against another ridge - make sure they are opposing sides of the ridge (inside to inside or outside to outside) so that the rings are not allowed to move forward or backward, then tighten the rings to the base.

The extended version that I ordered leaves enough gap to easily remove calibers in the 455, clearance is not an issue. The base isn't overly high profile. Using medium height rings and a 40mm objective lens optic, there was ample clearance, with even room to spare for a larger objective lens. In combination with the comb of the 455 stock (which is the same as the CZ 452 / 453 american or varmint platforms) the cheek weld was solid and comfortable - no need to add height from a cheek piece. This should also be carried over while using the base on the CZ Silhouette, Evolution, and Precision Trainer. The only place this may cause a cheek weld issue is on the LUX, Mannlicher-style stocks, the military trainer models, and perhaps the scout, due to the drops in their stock combs.

All in all the D.I.P. bases offer several nice features, the ability to install it without needing special skills or a gunsmith, and compliments the rifle in both a "tactical" or traditional setup. As I'm utilitarian (AKA "cheap") Even the packaging the base came in could be used for storing other "Gun stuff", they could probably sell the empty packaging for just that reason.

After 350 rounds, the base stayed solid. Other than it not lining up flush to the 455 ejection port (which is just knit picking), as it is also universal to the 452 / 453, I could find no fault with it.

Re: D.I.P. CZ 25 MOA or flat rimfire scope base review

+1 on the DIP rail.

I also have one made by Rimfire Tech that they no longer offer and it does line up with the ejection port. Agree its a trivial gripe but if I were to change just one thing that would be it.

I like the DIP rail; I had to beat the hell out of it to get it on!

it still will not stop the ring & optic combo from moving forward whether by a bump or just wandering in general (been there done that on rim and centerfires).

by bumping one ring against a ridge toward the rear of the rail and one ring against a ridge toward the front of the rail, it takes out movement in any direction when using weaver style rings and locks the rings / optic in place.

basically moving the 2 rings apart from each other like opening curtains on a window with your hands.

I have a quick question about the DIP scope base. You didnt need to drill any holes or anything into the receiver correct? It is held by pure friction between the screws and the dovetail right?

The DIP rails have one big problem that wasn't mentioned. You could learn the hard way, but IMHO should have been #1 on the 'Disadvantage list'.

The problem I have with DIP rails are the set screws used that bite into the receiver's metal, leaving punch marks or gouged silver circles? Not even a problem if you never remove 'em or never sell that rifle. Buying that rifle and not knowing or not being told by the owner that the rail set screws have gouged the receiver would be a huge disappointment and I would have expected the previous owner to own up to causing blemishes on the receiver surely to effect resale value.

That being said the #1 problem can be eliminated by taking out the set screws and dropping a lead shot or Delrin ® disc plug into each hole and then reinstalling the set screw. I would request DIP to include receiver protection with the purchase.

I have nothing against DIP rails and am thinking about buying one for use on my spring gun just because of the set screw mounting system. I want the set screws to bite into the rail, because of the forward and reverse recoil and also being available with 20MOA cant in the lowest profile available, bar none!

I use the EGW 11mm to picatinny rail because it clamps to the 11mm~3/8in rail just like all other 11mm dovetail accessories and doesn't damage the receiver or require measures to prevent damage or decrease resale value to my rimfire! My spring gun is a beater and has no resale potential so a file and some black magic marker will cure the set screw damage should I ever remove the DIP Picatinny adapter.

Sam
wink.gif

So let me get this straight; you want DIP to include two #8 shot??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacBud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a quick question about the DIP scope base. You didnt need to drill any holes or anything into the receiver correct? It is held by pure friction between the screws and the dovetail right? </div></div>

Yep, metal set screws gouging into the receiver's dovetail rail, unless of course you use protection to prevent gouging! Brass shim stock would also prevent set screw damage.

What was implied was protection in what ever form they choose, lead shot is a common solution! Actually the DIP picatinny rail uses six mounting screws. A Super strong mounting system.

Sam
laugh.gif

I have the 25 taper on a CZ 527 Varmint 9 twist 223 and 4.5-14 LR/T M1,and after 800 rounds of dialing up and down from 50-1,075 yards and back and I have not had to reset the zero one time,,it takes 48 minutes for me to get to 1,000,three full turns and back,,no problems at all,,

best tracking outfit I own,,

eric435.jpg

my 8 year old son has a ball with it on milk jugs and such to 600 yards on calm days..

eric560.jpg

eric615.jpg

Bought two DIP rails one for my savage and one for my anschutz. I had to dremel the rail to fit my annie.....

I don't want to turn this thread into a DIP bash thread, but I've had both good and crappy transactions with DIP. Last one was over 3 months wait for a 20moa base for my Sako quad... which was in stock when I placed my order... DIP will not be getting any more of my business.

My rail arrived in 3 days after placing the order. CA to VA!

My DIP rail is mounted directly to my CZ 452 without lead, delrin, or brass shims. I do not lose sleep over the consequenses of 6 potential marks on the top of the receiver.

let me just iterate again...

***This is not a paid endorsement or am I affiliated in any other way with D.I.P., just an "Atta boy" to a company that does good business - rarely found these days, and Made in the USA is the icing on the cake.***

i guess over on RFC (i usually copy and paste a review on several websites) thought this post was an advertisement for DIP, it is not. So if Lowlight or any of the moderators believe the same, it is not. i also believe they have the common sense here to believe it is not.

after getting bashed by the RFC hierarchy in the review and in the form of a PM (which i'm to gentleman like to repeat the bashing in the PM)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gmd1950;4043531</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If Bob didn't sponsor and pay for this Ad he should have, does he still use the little cup pointed screws to attach it? Having read this and your other AD for DIP I closed them both for a while, I feel that both cross the line of product assessment and read like slick Advertising copy, Bob does have good products that are often out of stock, his service is as good as several other Sponsors here. You have my PM to you and you're welcome to try and convince me I'm wrong in my assessment.</div></div>

and my response:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR;4045259</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK here it is....

it's not an ad....i do not apologize for writing a review that is better than just saying "1/2" at 50 yards" or "works well", as most of the goofy reviews go at many sites.

i try to write them like an article in a magazine and looking at it from an objective view, or what i would like to see in a review to see if its worthwhile to buy or a POS.

i guess MANY missed this part:

<span style="font-weight: bold">***This is not a paid endorsement or am I affiliated in any other way with D.I.P., just an "Atta boy" to a company that does good business - rarely found these days, and Made in the USA is the icing on the cake.***</span>

So is the review i did on the CZ varmint considered an advertisement?

is the non-favorable review i did on a sightmark scope an advertisement too?

are all the ammo reviews and modifications posts i did ads for CCI, WOLF, FEDERAL, AGUILA, HORNADY, etc.?

am i driving a cadillac with all the advertising money i've earned from them? is that an ad for GM?

no more reviews from me here, sorry to try to add to the wealth of knowledge here, and do not apologize for being able to string together a few intellegent words together, its not a "slick advertising copy" just a slick writing shooter that appreciates and like to share with others of similiar intrests a product that my help them out.

As a matter of fact, on the DIP website in their review section i mentioned that a review with pictures can be found at RFC. is that an ad for RFC? where's my check?

no more reviews from me.</div></div>

so Hider hierarchy, this is not an advertisement to undermine anyone or paying sponsors of the site or a cheap shot aimed at another site, just making sure that everyone knows that it's not an ad.

i'm not that smart or that stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clodhopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like to read TOP PREDATOR's reviews.</div></div>

thanks CLODHOPPER

***CLODHOPPER's endorsement of TOP PREDATOR's reviews is not a paid endorsement nor has any other consideration been given for his liking of my gibberish***

laugh.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif

(i spellled intelligent wrong on purpose in the RFC reponse, it'll give 'em something else to be pompous about)

I had a DIP products base on my savage mkII. Just bought a cz452 american, and I bought the extended 25moa pic base for now. Awesome review Predator!!!

I'm quite happy with DIP's products.

the insertion of the lead shot is a pretty nifty trick, thats a handy tip to remember for alot of things.

i thought about the screws engaging the receiver dovetail and leaving a mark, but also thought that if the base is going on, chances are it's staying with the rifle for it's serviceable life and not be visible. i can only assume it will less evasive than a drill and tap job for a weaver base install or the marks left by installing a set of 11mm rings directly to the dovetail.

but yes the set screws will leave a mark.

I read on DIP's website and your review where it says you have to level the base. I am assuming that I would have to level my gun, then level the base with the screws? How did you do it Predator?

i thin it's just a general type of leveling, not actually to the extreme of getting out the bubble tube.

the fit to the dovetail was well enough and ther was enough contact that i wouldn't or didn't feel it was a concern.

i would however do what your suggesting to level the rifle (as far as right and left cant is conserned), then add the optic (trying not to move the rifle or try to make witness marks on the bench / table), then level crosshairs of the optic to a level mark on a piece of paper on the wall.