• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing D1-4 Spider Chuck

Re: D1-4 Spider Chuck

i am working on making one for myself. would consider buying one myself just bacause i am always short on time.

Did your lathe come with a faceplate? Chances are you'll never use it in this business.

I chopped most of it away, leaving a hub at the center, then drilled four holes for 1/2-20 cap screws.

Hey presto, I now have a spider.

I checked with Grizzly a few months ago...there had been rumor they were going to sell one pre-built. No such luck.. It was suggested that I make one.

I looked for a pre-made D1-4 spider for a couple of more weeks, finally gave up on finding one and built one instead.

Good Luck

I'll sell mine for $500
grin.gif

8e780211.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in need of a D1-4 Spider Chuck and do not have time to make one Any suggestions? </div></div>

These should be available in about 4 weeks and you can attach it to a back plate that already has the D1-4 studs:

4jkm7o.jpg

I just made my own. I got a D1-4 backing plate from Lost Creek Machine and turned it down to the spindle OD. Drilled and tapped for 3/8 x 24TPI at 90 degree intervals on the circumference.
3/4" thickness made it plenty stout and by not going with a backplate/spider arrangement I gained about an inch of pass through length.
One of the setscrew holes intersects the pin hole but that was easily worked through.
Works like a champ and I think I have $50.00 in it and an hour or two of time.
Well worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randall I really appreciate the offer Thank You! I will call you if I cannot come up with something soon. I have about 8 short barrel jobs coming up. </div></div>

I have a D1-4 mount double spider for truing receivers that also works good on shorties...