• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

D6.5 creedmoor newby

J1Rjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2012
fort worth, tx
Just made the change from 308 to 6.5 creedmoor.

Does anyone make a seater die for creedmoor with the micrometer on top

Re: D6.5 creedmoor newby

It seems like that would be easy enough for you to find out.
But the short answer is yes. Check out Redding at Sinclair or Midway.
BTW, welcome to the 6.5CM club.

Thanks bro, does forster make them as well. I'm happy the gun is at the gunsmith and getting a much needed makeover

If you buy the Redding set that has Body DIe, Comp seater and "S" Type neck die you will be covered for anything you want to do. I am unsure of Forster but, as I stated earlier, you could go on Sinclair, Midway, Midsouth or other websites and look for yourself.

I'm using Hornady dies and there is a micrometer you can buy to upgrade the original seating die.

The regular Hornady dies are cheaper than the other brands and work just fine.

Also, I like H4350 for my Creedmoor Loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J1Rjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. What powder does creedmoor like? </div></div>
Im going to use RL17 in my 6mm Creed, id imagine that would work with the 6.5 as well.

H4350 is all I use in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Does everything I need. It's the powder the round was developed around.

RL17 will give you more velocity. And accuracy should be as good if not better.

Shooting 140 AMAX at 2930fps. That's fast enough for me. Also H4350 is very temp insensitive so doesn't matter if it's winter or summer my velocities are very close.

Example, when I got my first .243, this was a year or so before the Creedmoor was introduced, I got it in late Dec and I had to work up a load in Jan/Feb in New England with teens and 20 degree temps and then had to shoot it in south Texas up in the 90 degree temps in March out to 1000 yards. The velocity I ran at home on my chrono worked perfect to make hits at 1000 yards in TX. That shows me the velocity didn't change much at all.

So when I started shooting the Creedmoor and the factory load was using H4350 I was very happy to be able to use it. Been using it over 4 years and never had any problems.

I wont or dont shoot in temps that low, but Ill shoot in 100 degree weather in a heartbeat, been there, done that having lived in Vegas for 8 yrs. That being said, here's some good reading on the RL17 powder.
http://www.6mmbr.com/reloder17.html

I shoot in all temps, so I need to watch the sensitive powders. On another subject, anyone have an old set of dies they can part with and sell?

I've used Reloder powders, but do not anymore. I stick to Hodgdon Extreme powders now, because they do not have large velocity swings with temperature. H4350 is the best all around powder for CM.

Where does it say that RL17 is a sensitive powder?

With Reloder 17 reloaders have a powder that meters easy and consistently while providing maximum velocity even in extreme weather. This consistent performance is what reloaders have come to expect from Alliant Powder - and Reloder 17 proves worthy.

Designed for short magnum case capacity
Similar burn speed to IMR 4350
Meters easily and consistently
Consistent maximum velocity in extreme weather

From reports from users. If you use it in only a 20 or maybe 30 degree temp swing you should be ok but from reports it is temp sensitive from extreme temp swings.

What are you getting for velocities with it and the 140 weight bullets?

I dont have a 6.5 Creed, I do have a 6 Creed that Chad built me and I should be getting over 3300fps with 105s, using RL17 of course. Though I dont have a chrono yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J1Rjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing that all the guys down here in tx use h4350, that must mean something </div></div>

Ill be using RL17 in my 6 creed, if that dont work Ill try h4350.
RL17 does work pretty well in my 6mmREM, 3.5" group at 600yds recently, 105 HYBs.

I use RL17 in my 6.5CM with 142 SMK. It as always been accurate and I haven't seen a big swing due to temp sensitivity. Weather here is probably pretty close to Ft Worth. BUT, if I had not hit a RL17 load that worked so well for me I definitely would use H4350 over RL17. My H4350 results in other calibers, like 7MM08, prove out how well it does across all weather conditions I have encountered.
I do have a load for 130VLD in 6.5CM that I like a bunch too. It uses H4350.
Rob01, your velocity numbers are obviously from at least a 26" barrel. I have never been able to get that with my 24" with either RL17 or H4350 and 1142SMK.