• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dads SPS out shoots mine.

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I guess I'm just finnaly coming to the conclusion that my dads sps tactical 308 out shoots mine. They are identical in every way, up untile I bedded the stock (which helped mine) but his still out shoots mine. I've swaped the stocks, scopes, bases, everything I can think of and still. That and his x-mark trigger is pretty dang good and no mater what I do, mine sux.

I had the thought last night of swaping out his bbl'd action for mine but that wouldn't be good sence his will handle hotter loads.
wink.gif

I guess I'll just have to spend more money.
grin.gif

It never ends, does it?

Re: Dads SPS out shoots mine.

How "bad" does your SPS shoot? What about how "good" does your Dad's shoot? There is only so much you can do with a factory 700...

Another obvious question...are you comparing the accuracy of your rifle and your Dad's rifle with the same guy pulling the trigger on each under the same conditions, ammo, etc.? Ammo is a HUGE factor with many rifles...especially factory rifles. Some just plain don't like certain ammo. Try working up loads for your SPS and see what kind of results you get.

Again...there is only so much you can do with a factory 700!
wink.gif

(and you are right...the struggle for MORE AND MORE accuracy NEVER ends!!)

I am sorry to hear about your luck with the SPS. I have ran about 300 rounds thru mine, and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have the nightforce bases, nightforce rings, and a Vortex viper scope. With my handloads(45gn of varget under a 168gn Hornady Vmax) it will shoot tiny little one holers at 100yds and hit very consistant at 650yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It never ends, does it? </div></div>

Nope... it never does! LOL

Just swap the barreled actions when he ain't lookin' and you got him. I doubt he has the serial number memorized.

Yeah, its not that mine doesn't shoot well, I get repeated 3/4 moa at 100yds. Its just that we both get on average 75% of the groups outta his rifle under .5moa at the same range.

He also has shot mine and gets the same results. What more can we ask for, he got an awsome factory rig and I got a pretty good one.

I had a 450$ factory 700 VS shoot 1/4 moa all day with 168 FGMM.. It varies ..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, its not that mine doesn't shoot well, I get repeated 3/4 moa at 100yds. Its just that we both get on average 75% of the groups outta his rifle under .5moa at the same range.
</div></div>

1/2 MOA out of a factory rifle is definitely the exception...not the rule as for rifle accuracy. Sounds like your rifle is shooting about where it should be. Congrats to your Dad on such a fine factory shooter, but 3/4 MOA is nothing to sneeze at!!

Seriously...some more load development and you can get those groups squeezed down a little tighter.

My Dept. issued me a new 700p and it shot 1.5 to an inch at 100yrds, My Dad bought a 700vs, used, out of pawn shop, and it avg about .5-.6 with handloads at 100. Both rifles in .308.

The PD ended up rebarreling the 700p, It never would shoot.

Make it equal and have a smith set each back.....there both the same caliber right!!!
shocked.gif

Have the smith use the same reamer if it is a "mine is better than yours" competion.

Some factory rifles shoot extremly well with any ammo...others shoot worse and worse with each load you try....Rem has lived on it's name about as long as Leupold and now they both need to start developing consistancy and value for the money...or they will loose buisness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I'm just finnaly coming to the conclusion that my dads sps tactical 308 out shoots mine. They are identical in every way, </div></div>

Except maybe for the wear on the chambering reamer or rifling mandrel yours was made on, or the wear on the tools machining the reciver and threads, or.......

Ol Dads been using yours for a jack handle when your not lookin...I suggest you swap em when HEs not lookin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Operator issue? </div></div>

+1,

Sounds like its time to get in on a Rock Creek group buy then send George or Jered some business.

Your right...never ending....
grin.gif

Such is the nature of factory rifles.

You can not fault Remington, both sound like they are shooters. You just never know what you will be getting from a factoy offering.

It sounds to me like your first step in "closing the gap" should be a trigger. Put a Jewell or even better a Jackson or Huber on it and it may just surprise you.

His shoots .5 with you driving it???????
If only with him, then you might wanna go here.....

SH Online Training Forum *Officially Open*

It's a lot cheaper than a new stick!!!!!!

George

Factory Rem 700's are what they are, but I never seem to get the majic ones we read about her that shoot half MOA out of the box. I have had som good factory rifles, don't get me wrong. But you just cannot depend on sub moa from the factory and even if you have it now it may be gone next year. This long term accuracy is why I love as good custom rifle, they just are repeatable day after day and year after year (until you shoot the barrel out that is).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BillHPBT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Factory Rem 700's are what they are, but I never seem to get the majic ones we read about her that shoot half MOA out of the box. I have had som good factory rifles, don't get me wrong. </span> But you just cannot depend on sub moa from the factory and even if you have it now it may be gone next year. This long term accuracy is why I love as good custom rifle, they just are repeatable day after day and year after year (until you shoot the barrel out that is). </div></div>

Funny, I have owned, shot a lot and seen a lot of factory Remmies. I am in your same situation. No Half MOA stock remmies. I guess we are just unlucky.
grin.gif

Yeah, I was thinking about having it set back but if I go to that extent, I might as well save my pennys and put a new tube on it. And yes, When I drive his, about 75% of the groups are now under .5moa (big help from jacob and franks online training, befor the best I could ask for was 1.5's outta anything.) I'm thinking the trigger next also. I can't for the life of me get my xmark to get even close to what I got my dads. Another remmy inconsitancy I guess. I'm happy that both guns shoot as well as they do thou.