• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dakar

Jim Out

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2020
Tucson
Anyone following this?

Audi and Russian trucks

If you want sand......

I have been following the Dakar for many years!! Racing across Africa was to me the Best Dakars!! Arabia is a good substitute, but not Africa…The variety of vehicles is what makes the race fot me, bike person here and love the Big Trucks!!🇺🇸⚡

I never really follow Dakar but do enjoy the highlights. I have been following the Etron car this year. Thought it was pretty cool.

I read that Rub al Kahli in Arabic literally means "There aint shit out there" or something similar.

I have seen some highlights but not followed closely. I was excited to see that Danilo Petrucci won stage 5, he is a very cool person and awesome (retired) MotoGP racer.

Reactions: TBass
very cool race. you don't know how fast they're going until they wreck and you can see how far their bike/car/truck keeps going.

Reactions: Jim Out
Audis electric drive with ICE power pack and noise like RC car still haunts me. Its down right anoying.

They should add a fucking Stuka siren to drown out that whining sound

More a fan of the Trucks

Last edited:
I read that Rub al Kahli in Arabic literally means "There aint shit out there" or something similar.
That's pretty accurate, at least for the last 6000 years or so according to this:

Anxious to seal his reputation as a great explorer, Philby went in search of the lost city of Wabar but, instead of finding ruins, discovered what he described as an extinct volcano half-buried in the sands or, possibly, the remnants of a meteorite impact. Modern research has confirmed an ancient impact event as the cause of the depression in the sands.[17]

Geologist H. Stewart Edgell observed that for the "last six thousand years the Empty Quarter has been continuously a sand-dune desert, presenting a hostile environment where no city could have been built."
[18]

Interesting read here:

Opera Snapshot_2022-01-14_130914_volcanoes.usgs.gov.png

Reactions: Maggot
That's pretty accurate, at least for the last 6000 years or so according to this:

Anxious to seal his reputation as a great explorer, Philby went in search of the lost city of Wabar but, instead of finding ruins, discovered what he described as an extinct volcano half-buried in the sands or, possibly, the remnants of a meteorite impact. Modern research has confirmed an ancient impact event as the cause of the depression in the sands.[17]

Geologist H. Stewart Edgell observed that for the "last six thousand years the Empty Quarter has been continuously a sand-dune desert, presenting a hostile environment where no city could have been built."
[18]

Interesting read here:

View attachment 7784324
There is a strange form of Green Glass out there that is from the meteorite impact or passing. The glass was prized in ancient Egypt. It's sort of the precursor to Trinitite... which was created by the Atomic Bomb test in 1945.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Audis electric drive with ICE power pack and noise like RC car still haunts me. Its down right anoying.

They should add a fucking Stuka siren to drown out that whining sound

More a fan of the Trucks

I really want one of the Kamaz trucks, being able to get air in something like that has to be a rush.

I like to go fast and I like to get air, but that's a whole nother level.

kamaz-truck-2.jpeg

The bike suspension must have some crazy springs to not collapse under the immense weight of their balls
My buddy Ironmanned Baja and crashed his bike, just about removing his engagement ring with the finger still inside.

Toyota guy we raced with, he had towed an FJ40 from AZ to CO with .......

....another FJ40....

We called him Johnny Bravo after the Baja episode.....

...Some guys will do anything to try to get out of their wedding......but that was a little extreme even for the normal (for us) of my reality. :ROFLMAO:

There is a strange form of Green Glass out there that is from the meteorite impact or passing. The glass was prized in ancient Egypt. It's sort of the precursor to Trinitite... which was created by the Atomic Bomb test in 1945.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Wow, that's really cool!

That must be awesome wheeling Troopies in those dunes...

Great video!

Trucks are monsters and on the right terrain they can run down most of the cars and all of the bikes racing in Dakar.

I hate this race.
After watching the 1984 race I just had to have an Iltis after I saw one finish..
I didn't get one till 20 years later and its been parked since...
I am afraid of watching now...

• Love
Been following. Grats to Seth Quintero (USA, Light Protoype) for breaking the record for most stage wins!

I'm with Atomic41 - Love: Danilo Petrucci. Seems to be a great guy and a heck of a racer. Minus a small mis-hap after stage 5, I think that he had the capactiy to be a serious contender for a podium. Next year Danilo... next year!

Reactions: atomic41
I know two fools that raced the original.....the factory sponsored one made the podium.
The independent was 65 yrs old and broke his foot three or four stages into it- on a Yamaha 250.
Both of them were wicked smart, had more than a few screws loose and had overworked guardian angels.

• Haha
Was by the ABC store again today (probably why Im a poor) and picked up a bottle of Horse Soldier Premium. EXCELLENT. It straddles a fine line between the spicier bourbons and the smoother. didnt need any ice or water, but Ill try some in the next glass. Not cheap but:

Highly recommended!!!

bottle-premium.jpg

Cool, I'll have to check it out. I have a buddy that's about 10 years older than I, that apparently grew up in So. Cal and during his twenties, he used to race desert bike near that area (like Baja race) and claims that he could spot himself in the footage of On Any Sunday 2, in some of the aerial shots of that film. Based on what I've experienced knowing him and have heard from his family members I've met, I have no reason to doubt he was a legit badass on a bike in those days (he is a bit crazy); I'll have to ask him if he follows stuff like Dakar.

Trucks are monsters and on the right terrain they can run down most of the cars and all of the bikes racing in Dakar.

Holy shit!

I want one!!!!!

I was looking at getting one of these, either at auction or from an owner since the paperwork from the .gov to get a title seems to be a problem for some folks.

1995 Stewart & Stevenson M1078 LMTV *With New Allison ReMan Transmission With 2-year Warranty*​

If you want a turnkey LMTV (literally, it has a keyed ignition in place of the button) that is road-ready and has a two (2) year warranty that started Friday, 11/5/2021, this is your truck. Good luck finding another MV for sale with a warranty of any kind.

$24,000 OBO - Lowered price.1107210926_HDR.jpg1107210926.jpg1107210924.jpg1107210924c_HDR.jpg1107210924_HDR.jpg1107210923_HDR.jpg1107210923a.jpg1107210923.jpg

Last edited:
As a provider of the "carnage".......we're all just here to drink and heckle as long as no one gets hurt bad.