• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dakota Vs Sako Vs Cooper

metalfarm

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2017
Are new Dakotas any good? Didn’t they go out of business at one point? Plenty of used Dakotas to be had but what should I look for?
Or go with sako?
Cooper?
One of each??

Wood stock hunting rifle capable of elk.

Your thoughts????

Sako. but I have not shot/ touched any of those. I own a 2 tikkas and Sako is the parent so personally I would go that way.

I have had Sako's since the late 80's they are very nice rifles , I would recommend them .I have had I cooper it was also very nice.The Sako 85 I currently own is a great shooting rifle with all factory ammo I ran through it nothing over .9 moa.The only downside is they are costly and some of mine had such beautiful wood they only got hunted out of a blind. I think you would be well served by owning one .good luck with your purchase .

Reactions: metalfarm
Of that list, Sako. I wouldn't touch a Cooper. Dan Cooper is an Obama backing Fudd to the nth degree and the test targets are deceptively shot @43yds.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
I own one Cooper and 4 Sakos, and one tikka. The Cooper is a great rifle but hands down the Sako is a great mass produced rifle. The action is smooth and never had a single issue with any of them. If your looking for something more budget friendly the Tikka is another great option. Owned by Sako as well.

Of that list, Sako. I wouldn't touch a Cooper. Dan Cooper is an Obama backing Fudd to the nth degree and the test targets are deceptively shot @43yds.

I believe the company fired him after that incident. He has no part of the company anymore. Not sure if he still has any ownership stake in the company tho.

Yeah, he got the boot as CEO, but I'm sure he still draws a check. Starve him out.

Reactions: diverdon
Yeah, he got the boot as CEO, but I'm sure he still draws a check. Starve him out.
Had a Cooper 6.5-284 and it was super accurate.

Attachments

• 99D8EAB1-FC69-4976-A166-23B6A7592CD5.jpeg
    99D8EAB1-FC69-4976-A166-23B6A7592CD5.jpeg
    524.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 3D3B617E-B876-41B2-ACD1-E80AAD3E77BA.jpeg
    3D3B617E-B876-41B2-ACD1-E80AAD3E77BA.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 8ECA5963-BFDC-4353-A025-474E29A05562.jpeg
    8ECA5963-BFDC-4353-A025-474E29A05562.jpeg
    957.8 KB · Views: 77
The Dakotas are very good. They are basically a Win M70 type of action and would be great for a hunting rifle.

From Sako I would look for a model 75. I think they were smoother than the 85s which appeared to be, not so much of an improvement for the consumer but more efficiently produced for the manufacturer. The A7's, you might as well save your money and buy a Tikka.

As far as Cooper, I didn't know any of the stuff about the original owner. Beretta has been a problematic company in a handful of ways as well. But if you look hard enough, you can find something negative about anything out there.

Reactions: TurdFerguson
Cooper is a good rifle. If you factor in all the bullshit politics that arms manufacturers get involved with, you would never buy from any of them again. Colt, S&W, etc. I have had several Coopers and they all preformed exceptionally well.

Last edited:
OMG I would love to have a Dakota 76. Don't know if Ill ever be brave enough to spend that much money on a rifle, lol
Have Sako and Tikka and they both shoot great.

Another to consider is Montana Rifle Company. They have closed but you can still find their rifles on Gunbroker, etc.
Some nice ones with wood stocks and CRF

Killed my first two big bucks with a Sako Deluxe in 30-06. I have a soft spot ... but that rifle was fantastic.

Kinda hard to compare. I would put Dakota and Cooper as semi-custom then Sako as factory rifle.

I have a Cooper 57M JSR and have owned others. Yes, the owner of Cooper ran his mouth off and got the boot. Dakota was bought out by Remington, from what I remember.

If I was looking for a nice hunting rifle I would go Dakota.