• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damage to muzzle crown!!!!

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Hey guys i just shot this group with my Remington 700 sps 300 win mag with my handloads and now some how on the michigan early doe hunt i noticed this damage to the muzzle crown. I was wondering if you guys thought it might affect accuracy and how much and if and how i can fix it. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0309.jpg
dd.jpg

Re: Damage to muzzle crown!!!!

Is that group pre or post damage? If it's shooting like that post-damage I wouldn't fret.

I think the damage happened after i shot this but i dont know when because all it was used for is 1 week on the early doe hunt. That group was fired during sight in 1 day before begining of season. I dont believe it was there already but i cant say i looked for it. But it did not endure any drops or anything while using it. I am going to assume it happened after and i will need to shoot it again to see how it groups but is there any fix if this did affect accuracy?

Shoot it again and if your accuracy went downhill, just have a gunsmith re-crown it.

I don't mean to be a dick... But how do you do something like that and not know when or how it happened? It's steel, so it had to be a pretty good whack with something pretty hard. It's recessed, so it was a pretty precise hit. Anyway, that ding will Definitely play hell with your accuracy... IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot it again and if your accuracy went downhill, just have a gunsmith re-crown it. </div></div>

Good advice. I think you will see your has gone downhill... But either way, your investment of time/money in hunting is worth alot more than what a dented crown would cost to fix. Check your accuracy, If it has suffered, just take it to your local smith, no big deal...

Have it re-crowned. That ding is very close to the bore. Even if it looks OK to the naked eye there could be a very slight bulge to the inside that would negatively effect accuracy.

Its actually right on the edge of the muzzle but it looks like it could have possibly flatened some metal out and pushed it into the barrel.(were talking a thousadth of an inch)

if you have to ask, fix it. Not fixing it will cause you to worry wich will affect your group size...you wont be relaxed.

I say take it to a gunsmith and have him recrown it. As noted the ding looks like it is just out of the slight chamfer around the barrel but a ding like that can distort the metal down in the barrel. Even ever so slightly.

I'd hate to see you go out and not shoot groups like the one you posted, just because you didn't.
wink.gif