• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damaged threads

Covertnoob5

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    SoCal
    Hey guys, got a barrel in and it seems UPS damaged the threads in transit. Threads are on the chamber end of the barrel, just wondering if it’s something I could fix myself, maybe with a file? Or does it need exact machining? Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

I'm curious what the package looked like in order for there to be that kind of damage. Looks like the barrel took a direct hit. I personally would have a smith correct it, I wouldnt want to try and thread it into an action.

I'm curious what the package looked like in order for there to be that kind of damage. Looks like the barrel took a direct hit. I personally would have a smith correct it, I wouldnt want to try and thread it into an action.

yea not gonna try to thread it on but the box was opened on end and smashed in a few places.

A set of jewelers files could correct that, but I'd be a bit salty about who shipped it out without some kind of thread protection. Each end of the barrel should have had some kind of plastic cover.
    Hell ....$5 dollar pipe fittings comes with a plastic cover, why not a $200-300 barrel?

I think you got two options.

1. Use a small fine file to get rid of all the bent edges, polish and good to go.

2. Order a die nut of amazon and clean up the threads, shouldn't be too expensive but it does involve spending money.

Based on how a V thread works it isn't likely that'll have any negative effects on performance either way you go.

A set of jewelers files could correct that, but I'd be a bit salty about who shipped it out without some kind of thread protection. Each end of the barrel should have had some kind of plastic cover.
    Hell ....$5 dollar pipe fittings comes with a plastic cover, why not a $200-300 barrel?

Yep, I'd be looking at the seller to exchange that for a new one. It should be expected that a long, pointed object is going to poke through a cardboard box without some kind of heavy duty wrapping on the ends. I wouldn't touch it personally and would demand a replacement.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    (I would ask your smith what he wants to do before I went and started filing on something he may end up having to fix anyways and sticks you with it)

Reactions: IW21
    I would call the smith who cut it first and ask what they think. Personally, I’d be pissed it wasn’t shipped with some type of protection on the threads. You just dropped $700 on a prefit. Shipping issue or not, there should have been caps on both ends.

Definitely hit it with a thread file before working it with a jewelers file if you do. If you plan on getting it put on by a smith I’m sure most have them and it wouldn’t take long to clean that up

Is that a vector PreFit? Just curious.
    Either way, I'd just grab a flat file and knock the really bad one down flat and then use a diamond file to clean up the remaining ends of the threads. If you try to restore them and leave a high spot, it will cause you far more problems than a small portion of missing thread. Same goes for the spots with minor damage. Use the diamond file, but make sure you take them below "flush".

Is that a vector PreFit? Just curious.
    Either way, I'd just grab a flat file and knock the really bad one down flat and then use a diamond file to clean up the remaining ends of the threads. If you try to restore them and leave a high spot, it will cause you far more problems than a small portion of missing thread. Same goes for the spots with minor damage. Use the diamond file, but make sure you take them below "flush".
    Yup! Vector prefit.

Get a thread chasing file. It looks like a weird four sided rod with different sides for tifferent thread pitches. Great to have around. Cheap. Order one off Amazon and you will have it fixed in 2 minutes.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
    Dremel to the rescue!
    Drexel would be the last thing to use. Hand file is the tool.

Seriously guys, if that bump on the threads is too much for you to fix in a matter of 90 seconds with a small triangle file, you probaably should stay inside and knit or something like that. The shipper definitely should have protected the threads better so this wouldn’t happen.