• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Damn-it... Dropped my rifle!

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
OK... I had my HS Precision RDT on the bipod sitting on the table. I guess I wasn't paying close attention when I put it there and it was too close to the edge. As I stepped away it took a plunge off the table and onto my very hard terrazzo floor. It landed squarely on the scope and bounced around a little before settling. I was mortified! I picked it up and looked thru the scope and all seems well. I turned the turrets and they seem OK. It looks relatively un-scathed. I've seen "Nobody's" video about breaking in a rifle and that makes me feel a little better but terrazzo is damned hard stuff. What other things should I check before I see how far off zero it is?

Re: Damn-it... Dropped my rifle!

Load, fire, adjust as needed.

If you are using it for any competitions or hunting, then run a tracking test on it. Otherwise if you are just target shooting with it, it will be quickly apparent if it tracks or not.

What scope do you have on it?

When - in a similar situation - I dropped Ruger 10/22 with a Centerfire scope, the scope was OK <span style="text-decoration: underline">but it tore the base screws clean off the receiver</span>. So consider yourself in good shape!
smile.gif

I had a rifle take a hard fall. The Seekins rings broke but the USO scope took the beating and tracks as well as the day it was new.

IMG_1779.jpg

Just goes to show you how the best stuff can take a lot of hard use and still work fine. And anything mechanical can break.

No Bueno! Just fire a few n see how it goes. If u jacked up the scope then send it back in

The scope is a Leupold MkIV 3.5-10x. Took it to the range right after I posted this thread and the friggin' thing was still dead-nuts on! I'm amazed! I think that SIMRAD mount on top of my scope saved the scope. Thanks for the responses! I'm OK now...
grin.gif

Don't kid yourself my VXlll LTR (old MK4) has big gouges and chunks taken out of the bell from repeated abuse and it still runs great.

I've done the same on my NF but not the same surface rather on concrete. Scope hit on the wind adjustment... there were a select few words that came out of my mouth... was perfect the next time I shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crumpmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a rifle take a hard fall. The Seekins rings broke but the USO scope took the beating and tracks as well as the day it was new.

IMG_1779.jpg

Just goes to show you how the best stuff can take a lot of hard use and still work fine. And anything mechanical can break. </div></div>

Just curious what Glen's reaction and response was to the sheared rings? I have a set on my LTR holding a USO ST10 and love them.

Ugh... feel your pain.

I dropped my CMP/NRA service rifle upper in the garage while cleaning it a couple weeks ago. Visual inspection showed that I now had a VERY noticeable cant on the FSB. Of course... I did this a week before my last EIC match of the year!

No damage, but I had to spend the better part of a day at the range getting new zero's.

That was two years ago now.

I did get some new rings, USO. Still I like the 6 screw rings and wish I had them just because of the cool looks. The 4 screw rings work fine.