• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dan Post, Tecovas and Luchese???

Animal357

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 18, 2020
    I’m looking for my first set of boots. Comfort is a prime consideration. I’m looking at Tecovas and Luchese.

I had considered the Dan Post Pugh, but read a bunch of reviews that said Dan Post boots fall apart quickly. True?

The only Lucchese in my price range that I like is the Nathan $395. For Tecavos, I like the Nash at $325.

Thoughts on comfort and quality on those two?

Question on size. My walking and dress shoes are 9 wide, but I tried on a set of Ariats and I need a size 8 wide in those. What size should I buy if I get a Lucchese or Tecavos?

Best option is going somewhere local that sells them. With boots, most have some variability in sizes from boot to boot. This is also important if something happens with the boot. I had a pair of Lucchese’s that had a defect in the boot piping and they took them back and repaired them no questions asked.

Reactions: AKMarty
    I agree, but I can't find any place less than 4 hours from me.

Dan Posts are cheaply made and cheaply priced, so you get what you pay for. I've got some Luchese and they are very well made but hard to break-in. Got a high dollar friend who has multiple pairs of expensive handmade custom boots and she says her Tecovas are the most comfortable boots she has ever owned. If I were in the market, I would look at Tecovas first.

Double H

I just went through this and decided in them. I really enjoy them and they fit extremely well. They are somewhat considered a “work boot” but I dress them up and they have a boxy style square toe. I can’t stand square toes that are flat and look like a paddle.

the Tecovas seem to get a lot of really high praise.

I will tell you though you NEED to go in somewhere local that knows how to fit cowboy boots. I wear a 10.5 in regular shoes but some boots that were fitted to me were 9’s (lol) and the double H’s came to be a 10. They all fit very different.

also get some tall socks. My boots tear up my skin pretty bad and rub my calves raw if I wear short socks by the end of the day.

double H are also made in America. (Not all of them but most of them)

Reactions: Artexan
    Totally agree on going to get fit.

i own 2 pairs of lariats and 5 pairs of Lucchese’s.

i happen to think the lucc’s in ostrich, cayman, or calf leather are all insanely comfortable.

I'm also looking at the nash from tecovas. If you're unable to make it to a store, I say take an educated guess on your size and send it. They do free exchanges. I'm going to order a pair from them right before I come home in case I need to send em back

They also have a MIL discount if that applies for you

Lucchese....

/thread

John Wayne wore Lucchese... all you need to know...

Ive got 5 pair of Lucchese... they all fit same as my other shoes, didnt have to buy larger or smaller. My dad wears Lucchese and he says the same thing on sizing.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
    A lot of times if you have a wide foot, actual inventory at boot retailers is tough. I use the shit outta my ariat work boots....for working around the house, Going out, I love my Double H and Tony Lama. We make fun of women for all the shoes they get.... when it comes to boots we aren’t really that different either.

Reactions: Plinker 73
    See previous thread. I wear Luccese's every day and love them. But they fit my feet. My second favorite brand is Dan Post - i have found that if people can comfortably wear Luccese they generally can wear Dan Post.

Dan Posts are cheaply made and cheaply priced, so you get what you pay for. I've got some Luchese and they are very well made but hard to break-in. Got a high dollar friend who has multiple pairs of expensive handmade custom boots and she says her Tecovas are the most comfortable boots she has ever owned. If I were in the market, I would look at Tecovas first.
    There's a Tecova store in Austin that I'm fixing to visit.

G/f said she wants to buy them but the unconquered me doesn't want a woman buying my boots.

ah shit. tecovas was my gf's idea. do I have to trade her my man card?

I have been wearing Tony Lamas and they are comfortable. If you shop you can find American made boots from several manufacturers. Many of the Luchesse are made in Mexico, which isn’t always a bad thing with boots. I have some Mexican Tony Lamas that are better made than my American made ones. With all that said, I have had my eyes on some Tecovas as well.

ah shit. tecovas was my gf's idea. do I have to trade her my man card?
    Not necessarily. If they're 10 EE you may send them to me for proper disposal and nothing more will be said about it.

I have been wearing Tony Lamas and they are comfortable. If you shop you can find American made boots from several manufacturers. Many of the Luchesse are made in Mexico, which isn’t always a bad thing with boots. I have some Mexican Tony Lamas that are better made than my American made ones. With all that said, I have had my eyes on some Tecovas as well.
    Mexican boot makers are some of the world's best, it doesn't matter which side of the river they're on.

Reactions: Kadams1563
    Not necessarily. If they're 10 EE you may send them to me for proper disposal and nothing more will be said about it.
    I appreciate the gesture.. unfortunately for you we're not the same size.

I suppose I will just have to let her (me) win this one

I appreciate the gesture.. unfortunately for you we're not the same size.

I suppose I will just have to let her (me) win this one
    Lemme ask you, which ones are you getting? Ordering online or buying FTF?

I went through this earlier this year, and now own two pairs of Lucchese. It was a good move, although I admittedly got lucky and ordered boots that naturally fit me well.

As to proper fit, review the material on Lucchese's website carefully regarding ideal heel slip and forefoot feel, and order based on the foot dimensions provided. From there, I ordered 3 pairs from Zappo's in different sizes - given their generous return policy - and used this to fine-tune proper fit. I buy enough from them anyway, wasn't worried out unintentional return, and the nearest Lucchese store was several hours away.

Just keep in mind the different toe options fit differently, so make sure you order something commensurate with your target buy.

Boots are akin to gun barrels...just because it shoots in your gun, doesn’t mean it will in mine. You’re best to try them on and go with actual fit, and not necessarily what size the label says. You’ll be glad you did. And BTW, the right Lucchese’s fit like a glove-nothing feels better than a well made boot.

I wear boots every day. Lucchese are nice, but spendy for me because I wear through them (all boots) so fast. I don't like the crepe sole(thick rubber) because they can get hung up in a stirrup. Ariats have always been comfortable, reasonably priced, and you can still find them with a traditional leather sole. The Dan Post boots have always been uncomfortable, with a pronounced arch. You can also look at Anderson Bean. Teskeys brand boots are made by Anderson Bean I believe. Only my opinion and not meant to steer you one way or the other. Custom boots are a hit/miss for me. Sometimes I like the fit, and the next pair not so much. Around here, Canslers was highly regarded. Not sure about them now.

Lucchese's are my favorite, got a new pair this yr in bison leather, super tough leather that wears good, took about 3 weeks to break in though.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
    I believe these are made by Anderson Bean

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      106.1 KB · Views: 134
    I have wide feet. Ariats fit me better than anything I have tried. My work boots are my going out/wedding/church etc boots. They are just newer and not in my work rotation. I generally have 3 similar pairs 1. new 2. work 3. shit work. The Double H's look nice....about the same price as Ariats and much more my style of boot than some of the others discussed.

Ariats are Chinese crap IMO. I have a pair and they have been falling apart pretty quickly.

eveyone talks good about them but when you go into the store you realize that almost all the boots they sell are ariats and the store is getting paid to push them. I bought my first pair of them and have to had the soles glued back on already. Now they are coming apart again. I haven’t worn them enough for them to be falling apart.

that’s what led me to the Double H. They have a tuner bottom sole but it’s sewed on. Much better quality and they look much nicer. I can wear them all day without issue but my feet do get cold.

Brother in law has several pairs of Tecovas. Swears by them as his best ever fit in boots. He gave me a gift certificate for Christmas so I guess I will be finding out. I have several pairs of Lucchese and and find them to be very comfortable,

I run construction site and am on my feet like a mofo and I wear Noconas, I save my Luuchese’s for when I’m dressing nicer.

If you want serious, no nonsense, comfortable to hell and back boots, get a pair made by Beck in Amarillo, TX. Every thing else's is a waste of money. These are made to fit YOUR foot, not an arbitrary last.Go to their website, request a free sizing kit, send it to them with a check, get your boots in 4 weeks or so. These boots are hand made in Amarillo TX, not farmed out to MX. I have been in the shop multiple times over the years.

These are rough out ranch boots, but they'll make them as nice as you want out of any hide you want.
    20201226_202618.jpg

These Luccheses haven't seen the light of day since I started wearing Becks. I don't even know why I keep them.
    20201226_202815.jpg

Last edited:
    Lucchese....

/thread

John Wayne wore Lucchese... all you need to know...

Ive got 5 pair of Lucchese... they all fit same as my other shoes, didnt have to buy larger or smaller. My dad wears Lucchese and he says the same thing on sizing.

Yeah I have to agree. I've worn boots my whole life and I've tried em all, but to expect anything other than hand made specifically for you to be better than lucchese is just not realistic. I specifically like Luc crepe sole boots, but they are a lot harder to find. I'm not a big fan of leather sole boots and the crepes are much easier on my knees. I would just get to know a distributor and explain and make sure that you can send em back for a different size if you have to order them. You really really need to try on boots before you buy em or have em made for your foot if you can, but that's hard to do sometimes.

I had a pair of TL Ostrich, but later bought a pair of Tecovas ostrich skins. I hardly ever wear the TLs anymore. The Tecovas are so much more comfortable. I forget the model name, but they are the roper style. Will buy more of their boots in the future.

These Lucchese are price much lower than their others. Are they a lower tier?
    https://www.amazon.com/Lucchese-N1596-R4-Classics-Boot/dp/B005APNYM6?th=1&psc=1

Those are the 1883 line. I believe I have 2 pairs of them, but maybe just 1. Made in Leon Mexico, not El Paso. I also believe their materials are a step below what the made in USA Classics and the like use. Thats why they are cheaper. I really cant tell the difference though between them and my made in El Paso $1000 pair... Fit and finish is the same. I probably actually wear those more as they are more comfortable(ostrich vs. crocodile).

What a long, strange trips it's been...

No boot dealers has stock anywhere close to me so had to buy online.

Got a set of 8EE Tecova Ropers. The boot was too wide. I have never had that happen in 50 years of buying wide shoes.
    Rep said that they were handmade so they might vary. Bought a non-roper, it fit but not very comfortable and returned them.

Bought a 8EE Lucchese set in caiman. Can't get my foot in, had to exchange for 8.5EE. Too tight, I called Lucchese and they said that caiman will not stretch. Returned them.

Bought 8EE Ariat in caiman. It fits and more comfortable than the Tecovas and Lucchese.

I like the looks of the Tecovas and Lucchese, better but the Ariat fits.

Not a boot expert by any measure, but the the Tecovas and Lucchese seemed to be about the same quality, but the liner in the Tecovas was nicer.

Reactions: MCSO1357
    OP, what are you wearing them for? Urban cowboy or working? For "dress" I like Justin boots, for work, throw away Ariats or wolverines

I like Justin, Nocona, Luchese for nice.. For work i like HH.. There are several differences in the way they are built as others have mentioned. I like to go to the store, put them on then walk around for a while in the store.. If they feel good, they leave with me, if they feel weird somewhere, they stay..

I’ve had most of the companies out there at one time or another. They all fit differently and some are better built than others. I’ve destroyed Justin’s and Ariats in 2-3 months more than once. Tony’s never really fit me right. Olathe did really well, but anymore it’s either Double H or I’ll go to a custom maker. My current set of Double Hs have been going well for a little over 2 years being worn every day. They just had an unfortunate fight with a chainsaw that put a hole in them. Ordered another set of the same ones.

Its been a long time but I am still wearing my last pair of elephant hide Tony Lama’s. Purchased them with riding heels in the 1980’s when we were still training and exhibiting horses. For outers that are that tough, they sure are comfortable. Hard to find boots with riding heels but that’s the only boot I really care to wear

I’m looking for my first set of boots. Comfort is a prime consideration. I’m looking at Tecovas and Luchese.

I had considered the Dan Post Pugh, but read a bunch of reviews that said Dan Post boots fall apart quickly. True?

The only Lucchese in my price range that I like is the Nathan $395. For Tecavos, I like the Nash at $325.

Thoughts on comfort and quality on those two?

Question on size. My walking and dress shoes are 9 wide, but I tried on a set of Ariats and I need a size 8 wide in those. What size should I buy if I get a Lucchese or Tecavos?
    I grew up wearing boots and have Luchese as my dress boots now. I'll probably never wear them again after receiving my first pair of Tecovas Cartwrights this Christmas.
    Most comfortable I've had in a long time.

Attachments

• 1611873163219.png
      1611873163219.png
      4.6 MB · Views: 183
    Wear my Dan Post boots every day. Had them re-soled 2 or 3 times now. Torn to complete hell at this point, figure the toe will be totally gone before these soles go out. We'll see.

In terms of comfort, though, they're not even close to my Tecovas. Granted, my Tecovas are alligator and that leather is so damn soft.... you've got to experience it to believe it. Thems mah fancy boots, though, so I pretty much never wear them.