• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*^$#@* Dang MWS barrel flash hider is welded on,

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Well its not exactly welded but I put all my muscle into it and its not coming off. I have the barrel out of the gun, on the floor with a strap wrench around the gas block and the flash hider is not budging.

How the hell do I get this thing off without destroying anything?
Why the F__K is it so gosh darn tight? Man Im pissed right now. Been messing with this for 45 minutes.

Re: *^$#@* Dang MWS barrel flash hider is welded on,

It helps to have the right tools and to keep your cool:)

Properly secure the barrel and put some ass into it.

I dont have a vice and my flash hider has a tiny little slit for a wrench section in between two round sections that makes it near impossible to get a medium or large wrench on.

Any way to do this without a vise?

Maybe a little kroil on the threads and then a few good taps on the wrench with a hammer (remember righty, tighty, lefty,loosey). Got mine right off...

Liquid wrench and then would it be possible to insert a screwdriver or similar into the FH slots?

Soak it in kroils over night

Freeze it over night

Hit it with heat.

Proper tools make all the difference. Having the right tool for the job applies to firearms not only in application but also in assembly and maintenance. My suggestion is to either buy a vice and action block or take it to someone who has the right tools to accomplish the task at hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Proper tools make all the difference. Having the right tool for the job applies to firearms not only in application but also in assembly and maintenance. My suggestion is to either buy a vice and action block or take it to someone who has the right tools to accomplish the task at hand. </div></div>

Understood!

Im looking for the vise-grips and hammer as we speak.

Anyone near Long Beach, CA with the right tools (vise). This thing is not coming off.

slide the barrel back on and hand tighten the nut, put a mag in the mag well and slide it under your closet door. Then crank away.

If you take two 2x4s that are about 6 inches long, drill about a 3/4 hole through them as they are side by side (meaning you have a 3/4 half circle on each 2x4) and then use an old leather work glove you have yourself a makeshift barrel clamp assembly. Through your barrel in the leather glove, in the two blocks and all that into a vice, and you should be able to have enough leaverage. The leather is soft enough yet strong enough that it should mar the finish. This is what I did with my M1A to get the FH off. Hope this helps to get you up and going quick.

Yep it all sounds good. Im really afraid of damaging the upper so I dont want to crank on just the barrel without support. I do not have a vice. Guess I will track someone down who does.

Use a pen torch, keep it moving around the FH for @ 1 - 2 minutes then remove the FH - no big deal.

Good luck

I had a gunsmith remove both of my MWS FH (while I watched), they are not pinned or soldered, just torqued really tight.

I'd probably put the barrel in the upper and hit it with a bernzomatic torch until it was maybe 500 degrees and typically they do break loose easily when hot.

I turned mine off with the same ground-down wrench I use on all my A2's. Pretty tight, but not anything outrageous? Are you getting the barrel secured well before you crank on it? If you can get the barrel secured properly, get a wrench on the A2, and tap(not beat) the wrench with a hammer, it should not be an issue...

Edit- the floor and a strap wrench are not the ideal combination for securing as barrel...

What are you planning on putting on in place of the stock FH?

Thanks everyone.

I took it down to Riflegear and they popped it off easy as pie. They had a vice and barrel clamp.

I used this brake.

!CEE6gD!BWk~$(KGrHqZ,!kwE0FEv!b),BNQuqEVgkQ~~_3.JPG

For future reference, it might be helpful to cut yourself a piece of 2X4 the size of a mag; clamp it in a vise, put your rifle on it and you can work on it better than just lying on the bench...