• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Danner Shot Show Release Tachyon Boots

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    The UPS Lady just dropped a pair of <span style="font-weight: bold">Danner Tachyon Boots</span> off.

Danner Website Tachyon

These are the most insanely light boots I have ever felt.

danner_tachyon_01.jpg

I mean crazy light... lighter than my original Jungle boots.

They are booth #10770 on the second level during SHOT.

Re: Danner Shot Show Release Tachyon Boots

Do they feel like they will last 6 months?

I had a pair of their TFX and the seams in the instep blew out pretty quick.

Their Rainforest's have lasted a lot longer, but wicked heavy.

Don't get me wrong, big fan of their product and an even bigger fan of my feet, but for $140, you kinda expect them to last a year given what they are made for.

I've been scouring the internet for a legitimate weight of the Oakley LSA boots. I've handled them, but didn't ever get a weight listed.

I want something really light weight and breathable for shooting and hunting in the summer and early fall.
    They were my first option but the Tachyon Boots look like a viable option as well.

I don't care what anyone says, with a sole like that I wouldn't be putting too much weight through them.

Would only wear them on the boats or low level high speed ninjery. But even then the ankle is like a set of knee-highs.

I was always destroying boots/shoes etc. I went to a red wing store to get some work boots and got my feet sized. Turns out I have been buying 10.5 wide. Turns out I need to be buying 11.5 EE or even 12 EE. I have since had shoes that last and reduced a lot of my foot and back pain. I need to buy the longer size even though my feet are 10.5 in length because my feet are oddly shaped and the widest part is a bit further forward so I need the longer wider shoe.

Those of you have issues with shoes not lasting consider having your feet professional sized.

Like all Danners, these would get shredded in a month in Alaska, add long 3000 foot scree gully climbs like sheep / goat hunting and they may not make it one trip. We use to burn through Ft Lewis in 3 months average time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was always destroying boots/shoes etc. I went to a red wing store to get some work boots and got my feet sized. Turns out I have been buying 10.5 wide. Turns out I need to be buying 11.5 EE or even 12 EE. I have since had shoes that last and reduced a lot of my foot and back pain. I need to buy the longer size even though my feet are 10.5 in length because my feet are oddly shaped and the widest part is a bit further forward so I need the longer wider shoe.

Those of you have issues with shoes not lasting consider having your feet professional sized. </div></div>

Not to be rude but I completely disagree with your sizing fix. In my shop, I would have you stand bare feet on thick piece of glass to find out what type foot you have, then recommend the best brand lasted boot to fit your feet and then use some tricks to custom fit the boot to you foot, used several boot presses too. I my years of custom fitting boots, what Red Wing recommended is incorrect. Many times I had customer who showed up with oversized boots due to wide or odd shaped foot. Boot sizing comes from your arch length, Achilles notch, metatarsal, joints, toes, foot volume = this is not width but the complete volume of the whole foot and even you gait.

Sounds like you may have a wide high volume foot with all your toes the same length, flat arch, long lasted, short notch. You may want to try Scarpa SL M3 with BXX last 44 or 44.5 and Supefeet green capsule insole.

Agree with 45.308, these boots look like they may be good for lightweight, light duty shooting or late spring/summer/early fall (fair weather) shooting matches. I'm not sure I could trust them on a hunt when I might be coming out with 75-110 lbs on my back, but then again that's not what they are designed to do.

Mike

I can't remember ever having any problems with my Danners. I can however state for a fact that suede is the stupidest thing you can make a boot out of.

Danners in suede always got stained when I was in. Black marks all over them. Looked like crap after 1 week exactly. Cleaning kits don't work for it either.

From my experience and my friends, family and co-workers, Danners are 2nd class boots at best. They do not stand behind their product. The quality was not high before LaCrosse bought them out and went down Immediately.Thin leather, leaking Gore tex, WEEKS to get warranty claims and then told they would not warrant the replacements.I wear Viberg of Canada. Fill'em up with water and wear'em wet to break in.Without goretex.. You will not lose any water overnight. Heavy? maybe, but I'm 200 lbs. and carry 50 lbs. of tools and gear outside year round, so I don't notice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like all Danners, these would get shredded in a month in Alaska, add long 3000 foot scree gully climbs like sheep / goat hunting and they may not make it one trip. We use to burn through Ft Lewis in 3 months average time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was always destroying boots/shoes etc. I went to a red wing store to get some work boots and got my feet sized. Turns out I have been buying 10.5 wide. Turns out I need to be buying 11.5 EE or even 12 EE. I have since had shoes that last and reduced a lot of my foot and back pain. I need to buy the longer size even though my feet are 10.5 in length because my feet are oddly shaped and the widest part is a bit further forward so I need the longer wider shoe.

Those of you have issues with shoes not lasting consider having your feet professional sized. </div></div>

Not to be rude but I completely disagree with your sizing fix. In my shop, I would have you stand bare feet on thick piece of glass to find out what type foot you have, then recommend the best brand lasted boot to fit your feet and then use some tricks to custom fit the boot to you foot, used several boot presses too. I my years of custom fitting boots, what Red Wing recommended is incorrect. Many times I had customer who showed up with oversized boots due to wide or odd shaped foot. Boot sizing comes from your arch length, Achilles notch, metatarsal, joints, toes, foot volume = this is not width but the complete volume of the whole foot and even you gait.

Sounds like you may have a wide high volume foot with all your toes the same length, flat arch, long lasted, short notch. You may want to try Scarpa SL M3 with BXX last 44 or 44.5 and Supefeet green capsule insole. </div></div>

You may be correct, He did mention I have low arches. I have a pair of under armor speed freaks and they are holding up well, are water resistant and light. haven't really put them through any hard use yet other than putting a roof on a poll barn and around the farm. One of these day I need to pick up a series pair of boots but for now the $400+ price tag is too much for me to justify.

When I was running I had to buy new shoes every month as running shoes have a life span of 50-60 miles tops. So I have become convinced expecting a pair of foot wear to last for "years" is un reasonable.

Just so happens that I was in http://www.tidewatertactical.com/ today and ended up walking out with a pair of these to field test.
    Initial impressions are they are very light, appear to have typical Danner quality and all synthetic materials. I do like the thinner profile in the heel/ankle area and wider frontal area. They are a modernized jungle boot, the collar is thin, moisture wicking liner on the collar, other than the toe and re enforced area's it's a single layer of nylon material. The footbed has a removable liner, so you could always add another if desired although the one in there seems well made with shock protection.
    I will be wearing these on the range which is mainly small rocks and tons of brass, see how the sole wears on that surface and protection against the sharp rocks. I do agree, ankle protection is minimal but I don't know if they intended for these to be in an environment such as mountainous terrain or not.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like all Danners, these would get shredded in a month in Alaska, add long 3000 foot scree gully climbs like sheep / goat hunting and they may not make it one trip. We use to burn through Ft Lewis in 3 months average time.

Sounds like you may have a wide high volume foot with all your toes the same length, flat arch, long lasted, short notch. You may want to try Scarpa SL M3 with BXX last 44 or 44.5 and Supefeet green capsule insole. </div></div>

You may be correct, He did mention I have low arches. I have a pair of under armor speed freaks and they are holding up well, are water resistant and light. haven't really put them through any hard use yet other than putting a roof on a poll barn and around the farm. One of these day I need to pick up a series pair of boots but for now the $400+ price tag is too much for me to justify.

When I was running I had to buy new shoes every month as running shoes have a life span of 50-60 miles tops. So I have become convinced expecting a pair of foot wear to last for "years" is un reasonable. </div></div>

You mention wearing them out, just exactly how and where? 50-60 miles on a running shoe is very short life span for road or track runner, 5-10 runs?

What is the term I am thinking; perception of worth maybe. In my line of work or mind set, boots are everything and in my shop, teaching and guiding I spent more time on boots than just about any piece of kit. Happy feet = happy client, happy trip, word of mouth advertising is the best there is. Others perception of worth maybe a $5000 lazer beam custom rifle and $100 pair of boots. To me, boots get me there and back with comfort and support, and any $500 rifle can tip over a sheep but a less quality boot gets shredded in Alaska, leak, do not offer support and comfort. If I cannot hike, climb due to my boots, that $5000 rifle does little good if I cannot get to the sheep and goats.

To me, I want and use the best quality footwear if I am walking the dog, pounding nails, cutting wood or busting up character building suffer machine 3000 foot ice and snow covered scree slope.

When stationed in AZ, a buddy of mine ran a cactus farm and wore Scarpas and he got years of abuse from them.

My unit on active in Alaska would burn through the toe area and sole of Danner Ft Lewis in about 3-4 months. Tracking issue boots, 3 pr of boots a year was average. At the time, who cares just get a new slip, go over to the barn and get a new pair. But, why not spend a little more with the p card and buy high dollar boots that will last much longer. When I found out what I paid for Ft Lewis boots through arctic issue compared to LaSportiva down town with longevity, no question.

soap box off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Droid</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like all Danners, these would get shredded in a month in Alaska, add long 3000 foot scree gully climbs like sheep / goat hunting and they may not make it one trip. We use to burn through Ft Lewis in 3 months average time.

When I was running I had to buy new shoes every month as running shoes have a life span of 50-60 miles tops. So I have become convinced expecting a pair of foot wear to last for "years" is un reasonable. </div></div>

You mention wearing them out, just exactly how and where? 50-60 miles on a running shoe is very short life span for road or track runner, 5-10 runs?

What is the term I am thinking; perception of worth maybe. In my line of work or mind set, boots are everything and in my shop, teaching and guiding I spent more time on boots than just about any piece of kit. Happy feet = happy client, happy trip, word of mouth advertising is the best there is. Others perception of worth maybe a $5000 lazer beam custom rifle and $100 pair of boots. To me, boots get me there and back with comfort and support, and any $500 rifle can tip over a sheep but a less quality boot gets shredded in Alaska, leak, do not offer support and comfort. If I cannot hike, climb due to my boots, that $5000 rifle does little good if I cannot get to the sheep and goats.

To me, I want and use the best quality footwear if I am walking the dog, pounding nails, cutting wood or busting up character building suffer machine 3000 foot ice and snow covered scree slope.

When stationed in AZ, a buddy of mine ran a cactus farm and wore Scarpas and he got years of abuse from them.

My unit on active in Alaska would burn through the toe area and sole of Danner Ft Lewis in about 3-4 months. Tracking issue boots, 3 pr of boots a year was average. At the time, who cares just get a new slip, go over to the barn and get a new pair. But, why not spend a little more with the p card and buy high dollar boots that will last much longer. When I found out what I paid for Ft Lewis boots through arctic issue compared to LaSportiva down town with longevity, no question.

soap box off </div></div>

I fix Servers/Mainframes for a living. Like I said "One day" I plan on doing some hunting "out west" and realize I will need legit boots. But I am the sole provider to my family so there are a lot of things that demand my time and money now. Not disagreeing just so you know where I'm coming from. I think there is an expectations that boots to dont weigh a lot wont necessarily last the longest. I know My speadfreaks wont last me much more than 3 years and probably wont hold up to hiking over rocky terrain 8 hours a day. But for working on the farm and hiking around Ohio I am very pleased with my purchase.