• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dashcam ideas

army_eod

Retired Army
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
AL
Somebody assaulted my better half while her car was parked.
Would love to have a cam that records this kind of incident.

You can get good dashcams for about $130 that will work well.

However if you are wanting to get footage while parked, you need to invest in some "inline" USB power banks to keep them running while the car is off and they are parked. Most USB power banks don't work that way, so you'll need to get one designed for it.

Here is a quick setup

Reactions: army_eod
I would suggest a Viofo. I have the A119S which I believe is outdated but is still supported - they release firmware updates every so often. Viofo has several different models on Amazon. Mine is roughly 4 years old, so you can imagine well over 1,000 shut off cycles, has rewritten my sd card hundreds or thousands of times now without corrupting it. & has functioned without issues over the years while sitting in a car cycling between low double digits to 100+ degrees.

I just bought a body cam...runs for 11 hrs continuously and just erases the 11hr old video as it goes along. Only $150. I bought a cell phone mount for the dashboard and just put the body cam in the dashboard mount when I drive, and then put it on when I get out. Lots available on Amazon.
1296P HD Police Body Camera,128G Memory,CammPro Premium Portable Body Camera,Waterproof Body-Worn Camera with 2 Inch Display,Night Vision,GPS for Law Enforcement Recorder,Security Guards,Personal Use
1594510095263.png

Reactions: HeavyAssault

Here's a sample from my A119s from roughly three weeks ago. The video quality is much nice than what is shown because I filmed my computer screen with a phone vs. uploading the actual file. The newer models will have even better video quality due to higher resolutions.

You need at least a 30fps or higher frame rate and then probably at least a 1080P resolution because you need to be able to show not just that something happened but the exact details of how it went down and be able to have enough resolution for a positive ID if possible.

Reactions: 338dude
Here is the dash cam that I just purchased and will be installing this week. I was looking at purchasing this unit about 12 months ago a finally pulled the trigger following all of the craziness in ATL.

I like this as it has both a front & rear camera, a good frame rate and supports a 128 GB SD card.

KDLINKS R100 Ultra HD 1296P Front + 1080P Rear 280° Wide Angle Anti-Glare Rearview Mirror Dual Lens Dash Cam with IPS 5" Screen, Superior Night Mode, Advanced Dashcam Parking Mode, Support 64/128GB

Reactions: army_eod
I have this one. It does a pretty good job for the price. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFPSV3L/ref=emc_b_5_t

You can get a kit to have it on with motion while parked (I do not have it), or I guess the inline power bank mentioned above may work. It fits nicely between my rearview and the windshield and it not really noticeable. It can record audio or not. You can also add on a rear camera as well.

My only "complaint" would be that the display screen does come on every time the car starts. It is one button to shut it (the screen only) off. That being said, with the location in the car, I cannot even see it anyway, it just bothered me mentally a bit knowing it was on the first few times I drove with it. After a few days, I don't even bother turning the display off and just let it do its thing.

AL won’t allow any device on a windshield.

They remove the rear view mirrors when they deliver cars to AL?

Can you post a link or quote the actual law/code?

Not doubting, just curious to the verbiage and penalties.

Rear view mirrors are fine of course. Many states have this law. Google it.

AL won’t allow any device on a windshield.

So all you need to do then is one of two things:

1. mount it carefully behind / beside the rear view mirror attached to the rear view mirror assembly.
2. Mount it on the dashboard not touching the windshield.

I think the one I linked to actually also comes with the dashboard mount for that very reason.

I've done it both windshield mounted and dashboard mounted and either way works fine.

Outside the car: The "dash cams" generally will not record until there is a bump or other event to actuate the recording to save to file.

Inside the car: "Dash Cams" should be recording.

Pretty broad wording for AL as would most all other states I would believe:

Section 32-5-215
Windshields must be unobstructed; windshield wipers; tinting.

(a) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

(b) The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield, which device shall be so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.

(c) Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

(d) No person shall operate a motor vehicle which has a windshield, sidewing, or rear window which has tinting to the extent or manufactured in such a way that occupants of the vehicle cannot be easily identified or recognized through the sidewing or rear windows from outside the motor vehicle.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the manufactured tinting of windshields of motor vehicles or to certificates of identification, decals, or other papers required by law to be displayed on such windshield or windows.

(Acts 1927, No. 347, p. 348; Code 1940, T. 36, §38; Acts 1949, No. 517, p. 754, §8; Acts 1983, No. 83-572, p. 877.)

Pretty broad wording for AL as would most all other states I would believe:

(a) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

This is the key. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you can find myriad phones and GPS devices affixed to windshields throughout AL. Just like any state. Now if you get an asshole pull you over and is looking to fuck with you, you're getting ticket. Regardless of where it's attached. "tell it to the judge" is the usual response of douchbag tickets.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
An inexpensive dash I used is Crosstour which can be bought on Amazon. Just make sure the sd card is endurance so that it won't corrupt the card after many rewrites.

This is the key. I'd bet dollars to donuts that you can find myriad phones and GPS devices affixed to windshields throughout AL. Just like any state. Now if you get an asshole pull you over and is looking to fuck with you, you're getting ticket. Regardless of where it's attached. "tell it to the judge" is the usual response of douchbag tickets.

Yep...sure it can happen. WILL it happen every time you are out driving around.....not likely. I have a GPS and digital gauge display on my front windshield. I have for YEARS now....not once been pulled over for that specific issue alone. Does it meet the criteria of the statute.....My pics shown to the judge would scream "Not in any measurable aspect.". Which is significant against any sworn officers "opinion".