• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Data books

SnkBit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
Amarillo, TX.
I have never taken the time to log my shooting sessions and have gotten quite interested in the idea. What data books are you guy's using most? What are you looking to take away from each shooting session? I am looking for any and all info on this topic. What system, what info is taken, how that info is organized, how its being put to use for future shots etc. Also, I'm using a Triad large stock pack so if the data book would fit in there it would be a plus.

Re: Data books

Impact Data Book.... Period.

Its a modular data book that allows you to organize your pages however you see fit. It has a metric f*ck ton of pages to choose from, no matter what your shooting style is. And they make it in a full size and a pocket size version.

Im telling you... you will not find a more complete, versitile, and bad ass data book.

Log everything.... seriously, the more you know the better. As G.I. Joe said" Knowledge is power". BP, Alt, Hum, Temp, Mirage, Sun, Wind, Distance, Load, Etc... It all counts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Impact Data Book.... Period.
</div></div>
+1

I have used the USMC databook, Storm Databook and the Impact Fullsize and Pocket Databooks.

How you use it depends on the type of shooting you do.

You can use it to record the performance of the rifle, ammunition and YOU. If you go so far as to log how you feel on a shooting day you can correlate that to your performance (focused, distracted, in pain, etc.).

A databook is an excellent source for information on how your rifle should shoot if you find yourself shooting in similar conditions again in the future. It's also a great record of your progression of skill.

I also use mine as a training record. If I am ever called out on a shot I made I can use my databook to demonstrate the level that I train to.

I can tell you that both the Impact and Storm modular books are good to go. I prefer the Impact right now due to the way the pages are setup, the cold bore page and the fact that Tony produces pages specifically for our state's qualification course. It will make that record keeping thing a little easier.

However I will tell you that there are days I get lazy and don't log anything other than writing on the shot targets. This is usaully at 100 and in where environmental factors are very minute. If I am doing any long range shooting I log EVERYING.

I will warn you that smaller is not better. I use the pocket databook for my AR10. It's almost too small for my tastes. I am a knuckle dragger and dainty writing is not my forte.

P.S. if you go with either the Storm or the Impact I know where you can get a bitchin' cover.
wink.gif

I've been making my own. Impact data books are really nice but I prefer to make my own just because I get complete control over the book. It is nice to be able to format the pages as they suit me best.

I just got one of the Storm books. I really like it. Disc came with it that has targets you can print off that match those in the book. Nice touch. I have several data books in a drawer that never worked out right, and I started keeping records in just a regular binder. I haven't used the Impact, and they look nice - but right now the Storm is working out for me.

"Impact Data Book.... Period."

Not just one! One for each rifle you shoot. I just finished six months of reviewing the most usful aides to long range shooting and a data book was item #2 on the list. I took for granted that the reader had a rifle, optics and mounts. It must be my age but I was surprised how much data could be forgotten between the range and home. ( In my case that is only 250 yards) Shoot more than one firearm and that just makes matters worst. I normally sit back and review each shooting session after I get back to my den and it would be impossible without the notes taken at the range. The Impact Data Book has been perfect for my needs and everytime I get a new rifle another book and their Round Count Book will be ordered at the same time I round up mounts and scopes.

I ordered a CD copy of Shoot Data Systems v2 a while back (www.shotdatasystems.com) for $20. I really like it. It has really helped me improve my long range shooting. It comes with printable targets and you can re-print as many of and whatever pages you need. There is so much detail in this book.

Shot Data Systems...interesting...I especially like how their Mildot Bar Holdover Sheet looks to be a direct copy of my Mildot Holdover Sheet only with a different reticle. They even copied every bit of wording, almost vertabim, right down to what's underneath the data table...nice.

Mine:
MildotHoldoverSheet.jpg

Theirs:
collage_lb_image_page1_4_1.png

I kind of feel bad that you paid $20 for someone else's unoriginality.

Triggermoney, there's always going to be wantabes. Especially if your sh*ts the bomb. Just another poor copy to the real deal.

The problem with free ones and the printable book that SDS is offering is you still have to print it out, cut it, and punch it. You wont get the same quality of a professionally printed one. I know I built my own books for many years prior to starting IDB. 95% of the time the print quality and paper quality is well below the high end stuff professional companies are using.

Also with SDS you still don't have a binder for your book. So you pay $20, you get no binder, and you use your own ink and paper. In the end you will spend more time and money then buying the Storm Book or the Impact Data book.

As for copying and taking of material don't feel bad they took alot of info from our site and put it on their website with 1 or 2 word changes.

Ours
Warning: Firearms and ammunition can cause death or serious bodily harm. Impact Data Books provides this product as a reference manual to assist shooters in their day to day shooting activities. Impact Data Books assumes no liability or responsibility for how the purchaser uses this book and recommends that all tables, charts, and formulas be checked against real world firing solutions prior to being used. By purchasing this data book you agree that you are using this reference material at your own risk and that the user is liable for any and all actions or incidents that may occur when using this book and that Impact Data Book is released from any wrong doing or liability when using this product. If you are ever in doubt of what you are doing or where your bullet may end up you should immediately stop shooting and seek assistance.

Theirs
Notice: Firearms and ammunition can cause death or serious bodily harm. Shot Data Systems provides this product as reference material to assist shooters in their legal shooting activities. Shot Data Systems assumes no liability or responsibility for how the purchaser uses this book and recommends that all charts, tables and formulas be checked against real world firing solutions prior to being put to use. By purchasing this data book you agree that you are using this reference material at your own risk and that the user is liable for any and all actions or incidents that may occur when using this book and that Shot Data Systems as well as its creators, sellers and distributors are released from any wrong doing or liability when using this product. If you, the user, are ever in doubt of what you are doing when operating a firearm or where your bullet may end up you should immediately stop shooting and seek assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with free ones and the printable book that SDS is offering is you still have to print it out, cut it, and punch it. You wont get the same quality of a professionally printed one. I know I built my own books for many years prior to starting IDB. 95% of the time the print quality and paper quality is well below the high end stuff professional companies are using.

Also with SDS you still don't have a binder for your book. So you pay $20, you get no binder, and you use your own ink and paper. In the end you will spend more time and money then buying the Storm Book or the Impact Data book. </div></div>

That was exactly the math I did to decide to order one of your Impact books a few weeks ago. Yes, I could have printed pages out myself, but it would take a lot of time and materials and most likely not look/feel as good in the end.

So, I just clicked a few pages I wanted for my book, paid my money and it should be here tomorrow (I hope).

bill

Tony,

I'd noticed that SDS had taken some "inspiration" from your materials as well and truthfully, I'm not butt hurt by any of it just sort of dumbfounded by their plan lol.

BTW, the more of mine you buy, the more money NOMAD makes......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for Storm Tactical. </div></div>
Same here. Just received four more, today.
It's a good practice to keep one for each rifle, kinda' like the ultimate combination of performance and maintenance records in one reference. Why wouldn't you want one?