• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Datum line for 338 Norma mag help needed.

Charlie Bravo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2013
Denmark
Hello all.

I've been trying to find out what the datum line is for 338 Norma mag, but unfortunately without much succes. I've tried using Forsters datum dial and i get a reading of 2.073 using the 0.420 hole. I can get reliable readings using it, but I don't know if the number is valid? I haven't been able to find any numbers for the datum line.

Is the .420 dial usable for getting my Measurements on a 338 Norma mag or do I have to get a custom one made for it?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Charley, you don't say why you want the datum line but if it's for reloading, it hardly matters. For us it's a relative thing, all we need is a point of reference between fired and resized cases to confirm we are resizing the shoulders back to just equal or a tad less than the fired location; exactly where on the shoulder we measure to doesn't matter a bit.

Technically I believe it should be .450, but i think you'll be fine with .420 if you're just needing to know how far to bump the shoulders.

I got a .450 made. The reading isn't valid I guess, since it's of from the specs in Quickload and books, but it's reliable for measurements, so it works.