• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Daughters eye problem

hermnrob

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2010
Sevierville, TN
My daughter has been shooting for about two years, she shoots a 10/22 with a scope for practice & a 243 when hunting. She shoots with an left eye patch because she can not shut her left eye lid without closing both eyes. I tried to get her to shoot left handed but she didnt like to. We went to right with both eyes open but she is not consistent. With the patch she is dead nuts. Should we go with both eyes open with more practice or leave a good thing alone. Asking because the patch might not always be around (like last weekend when she forgot it at home) or extra movement when hunting. My wifes father is the same way an shoots with both eyes open.

Re: Daughters eye problem

My daughter was the same when she was younger as well. And I've even had new shooter adults with the same issue. Something you can try is to blur the left lens of the shooting glasses. Scotch tape works and it doesn't have to be the entire lens. It would not be a bad thing for her to grow into shooting with both eyes open. And you seem to have proven that her right eye is dominant.

Lots of people shoot with both eyes open. With a rifle I'm one of them, but with a pistol that's a different story. When going after little groups I use a small foam blinder on the end of the my scope to block my left eye. For all other shooting (hunting, plinking, and steel) I just let it fly with both eyes open.

My oldest now 30, had the exact same issue and I started him shooting with a patched left eye. I then went to a blacked out left lens on his shooting glasses. As he shot more we progressed to lighter left lens until he eventually could shoot through clear lenses with both eyes open.

Let your daughter pick out some "pretty colored" masking tape and give her the job of covering up the left lens of her shooting glasses to make them look cool. As her shooting progresses retape her glasses from time to time with less tape to point where you eventually have just a small dot of tape in the center. Then finally remove that for a clear Lens.

Hope this makes sense. Good luck and good shooting.

Try having her shoot with both eyes open but put a piece of clear tape (like you would wrap presents with) over the left eye . She will have some vision out of that eye but it will be reduced . I know several guys including one who is on the US F-Class team that use this technique with great results .

The first time she shoot thats what we did covered up with painters tape but moved to the eye patch. Thanks going to get her started with out the eye patch and go with the covered lens until she feels good with it. Im sure she can find some pretty tape you should see her patch very colorful i think she glued everthing she could fit on it from her craft box. Thanks

Fngmike just saw your post I really dont know if she is right eye dominant. Need to test her, when she picked up the rifle she held it to shoot right hand. Then looked across with her left eye in the scope. She shot left hand but didnt like holding it that way it was because she is right handed. Did think of that at the time just thought it was because she couldnt close her eye. My son & I are both left eye dominant although I was taught to shoot right hand & sometimes shoot left but I let my son shoot left hand and he sometimes shoots right.

You can test the dominance issue by getting her to point her index finger at a moderately distant object with both eyes open, then covering one eye at a time and see which eye the pointy finger remains indexed upon the target. If she is left eye dominant, it will be hard for her to learn shotgun shooting right handed without covering the left eye...and that isn't good in the field. If she is left eye dominant, try to encourage her to learn to shoot lefty. Having had to learn to shoot with my left eye when the right went hazy on me...try to shoot a right hand bow with the left eye...I can miss the barn by many feet to the left. JMHO

Have her eyesight checked for piece of mind.

Then, make this out of a clear juice container.

http://www.kaypictures.co.uk/dominant.html

Practice squinting each eye independently. This does not require closing the eyelid, but rather just a single controlled one sided squint. Left squint, right squint, left squint...hard squint left, hard squint right. All comfortable with zero stress. Then turn that into a wink...

She is not alone. There is no "right" solution. Just dedicated effort and physical/cerebral limitations.

A open eye shooter....

"The undisputed rifle champion of all time: 11-time National High Power Rifle Champion and over 30 open, individual Silhouette Rifle National titles, <span style="font-weight: bold">G. David Tubb</span> offers his insights and advice on equipment, shooting in the wind, rifle shooting technique, and, most importantly, how to apply a winning strategy."

Just tell her that some people have another person scream at them to open both their eyes. Some people end up paying big bucks to be told the same. :}

I shoot always shoot both eyes open with iron sights, or handguns. It seems harder to focus in a scope with both eyes open, thus that might be causing the inconsistency.

All that can be done is to practice without the patch since she can close just one eye. She needs to try to practice focusing with the right eye while the left is open.

I used to not be able to close my left eye when I was a kid. That changed when my brother punched me in the left eye, and it swelled shut. Ever since then I have been able to close it. I guess the only problem is you probably don't want to punch your daughter in the face.

Here is another exercise:

Have her sit facing you. Both eyes relaxed and opened. Tell her "you just relax, you don't need to do anything."

You, using a soft closed hand (so you don't accidentally poke her in the eye) starting under the cheek bone, gently lift her side of face upward until her one eye closes. Once closed say "now you just hold that eye closed." Have her hold it at first for 15 or 20 seconds. Change sides. Explain to her that she can do this herself but be sure to use a softly closed fist, not her finger tips pointing at her eye. Change sides, always do facial exercise in "balance" even if it is only one eye that is the target. This exercise builds up the muscles that will eventually allow her to selectively squint, wink and blink. Eventually, over a number of days, you will see that your "feigning" to press her eye closed will be met by muscle contraction strength that will close the eye.

Three ways to close the eye, lid down, cheek muscle up...and both. Important that she not over due this, not be stressed about this, you don't want involuntary twitches and blinking. Go slow. All of this should be approached with the seriousness of learning to whistle...

Used the finger method from Former naval & the paper towel roll an she is right eye dominant. Started the squint exercises for left eye an notice that even her right eye cheek muscle and the corner of her mouth moves up more then normal when she winks. She will have to practice both side, like you said three ways i think she has more cheek muscle then top eye lid or both. I will set up doctors appt tomorrow to also get vision checked. If this doesnt work I'll have her brother punch her ha ha.

if she can't get used to one eye closed, or both eyes open, the tape and all of that will work in a range setting.

for hunting though - obviously for safety and just spotting game coming into the "KZ", that may not be desirable to have the vision impaired in such a way.

check out page 20 of the champion shooter's catalog
http://www.championshooters.com/store/pages.php?pageid=6

http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=61

or

http://www.topbowarchery.com/

it'd be easy enough to make one out of rubber, a semi rigid piece of foam or plastic (maybe even a milk jug)and slip over the back of the scope. you can even make two or change it from one rifle to another. she can see perfectly and unobstructed when she needs to, yet only has the FOV obstructed when she is on target. if need be to relocate the target visually, a slight look ofer the top or side of the blinder and you are back in business. you can also trim it to make it the perfect size.

an interesting article:
http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/binocular-monocular/index.htm

Thanks this is something like situation normal does. Seeing the picture helps out alot we will try this for hunting. She is funny she was doing her squint exercises this morning & watching her cheek rise up make me laugh. The good thing is she is doing them and it was funny she compared it to learning to whistle and snapping her fingers. Two thing she had to practice to learn. Thanks to all who replied I appreciate the input.

She is still doing her exercises but its been tough, she thinks it should fix its self fast but its been hard going. She made some progress her whole face does'nt move as much now but it will take some time. Thanks for checking up on her really appreciate it.