• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes daughters first 22lr

Blandbland

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2017
building up a cz 455 for my daughter to start getting her into shooting. She is 6 and wants to hunt and shoot like daddy. I am still torn on what glass to put on it for her. i know i need to go with something that has a very forgiving eye box since i don't want her to be discouraged by not being able to see down range. Any suggestions would be very helpful. i am not afraid to spend the money on good glass. the scope can travel with her from gun to gun as she progresses.

My kids 452 has a cheap ass Simmons on it that has actually been an good scope, holds zero and eye box is forgiving. I just had it laying around, if I had to buy one I would have bought a SWFA or Burris XTR2. My daughter has a XTR2 on her 223, and she is able to dial elevation and wind easily along with parallax adjustments.

My 22lr originally had a cheap Simmons 3-9 on it that my grandfather had in the safe. I wanted to upgrade to something with mil reticle to make holder overs easier. I decided on an athlon talos 4-14. I know athlons are a love or hate thing on this site but for the price I couldn't find anything else that offered as many features. I've yet to actually shoot it because when we took it out to zero my fiancé came and ended up shooting it the entire time. It was her first time shooting and she had no complaints on the eye box. I did look through it and for the what it cost I was more then pleased with the glass.

Not sure if that falls in your price range but I feel like it is almost over kill on a starter 22lr but as something you could move from rifle to rifle it would do well.

Awesome that she wants to come and shoot with you!

I have a 452 set up for my 7yo son that he loves shooting. I chopped the stock so it fit him better. He has more fun with a red dot so I have a Primary Arms micro on there right now. We shoot suppressed at 25 and 50 yds in the front yard.

The chopped one is the bottom in this picture.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/d4ALlsH.png"}[/IMG2]

Our "shooting gallery" targets. We have TONS of fun.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/KvTo4qf.jpg"}[/IMG2]

CHRIS

Last edited:
I'm going through this exact question with my daughter. I had a SWFA 16X in the drawer, so we're starting with that. I think variable power is essential so they can back off and find targets. I have a number of XTR's here and I like them very much. The turrets require a lot of hand strength to turn, though, and my girl can't grip them hard enough to dial.

If money is no object, I'd go fondle as many scopes as I could and see which have controls she can manage. A tight parallax ring would also be a problem as would a tight magnification ring.

Im toying with the idea of a Steiner T5xi. A have a few of those, and they are pretty easy to operate.

Shoot, I had iron sights on the 22 until I was in high school. I say throw a low power 1-4 or something on it if you’re going to scope it and let her plink away. I wouldn’t have turrets or anything, just let her point and shoot and get a feel of what the rifle really is.

A basic Athlon Argos 2-10x40 which runs under $250.00 (call for SH member pricing) is a great scope, IMO, for your situation.

The Argos family of scopes is one of Athlon Optic’s most advanced hunting riflescope lines to date. These scopes have features normally only found on high-end scopes. It has a 5x magnification that makes it versatile in multiple shooting disciplines from up close targets to long range distances. It has our Fully-Multi Coated Optics that delivers a crystal clear bright image in in dark environments. The Argos family also has our exclusive XPL coating that protects your lenses from dirt, grease and harsh weather conditions. The 6063 aircraft grade aluminum tube will protect these world class optics no matter what punishment you throw at it. WE didn’t build the Argos to just perform well optically we also built in features that make easy to adjust for any shot you have to take. This along with the variety of second focal plane reticles give you easy elevation and windage adjustments.

FEATURES
Fully Multicoated: Fully Multicoated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
Aircraft Grade Aluminum: Aircraft Grade Aluminum provide extra strength and durability to handle the toughest terrain and offers lifetime of use.
Heat Treated One Piece Tube Construction: Heat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proof: Fog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
Shockproof: Robust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

I have a pair of SWFA SS 3-15×42 MIL SFPs on our .22LRs. Great scopes for the money, great glass, great reticle in the Mil-Quad w. a tiny floating center dot. I got them on special last Christmas w. sunshade, caps, SWFA tactical rings for $400.

I would start her off on the fundamentals of iron sights before throwing glass into the mix.

I just set up a CZ 455 in .22 mag for my fiance and I mounted a Vortex Diamondback HP 2-8X32mm on it. The 2-8's have been discontinued so you can find them for fairly low prices. I picked one up for $160 brand new. What I like about the Diamondback HP series for rimfire scopes is that they have an adjustable parallax all the way from 20 yds- 500 yds.

It’s a good combination of having fun and learning the basics. I say a simple 3-9 and go have fun!