• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Day Pack Recommendations?

mjspeers

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
Any recommendations for a good day pack? Using for hunting and wanting it to carry my RRS24L. Have been looking at Mystery Ranch Coulee packs or Kuiu Divide or Venture.

Which size do you have? Would a tripod ride well on the exterior side pockets?
The 25. And yes, I put one leg in the elastic pocket and use the cinch straps to hold it. Although the pocket is large enough to flip it and put the Anvil 30 head in there as well. But I prefer the single leg. But I personally carry my tripod fully extended in one hand w/ my binos attached and just kick out a leg and set it down when needed.

I have the first gen. No experience with the second gen but like the idea of being able to remove the belt. I just stuff the belt on mine under the padding on the back.

Reactions: mjspeers
I'll throw out a plug for Hill People Gear.

www.hillpeoplegear.com

Junction, Aston House, or Connor for day packs depending on size requirements. IMO the best thing is to combine one of the aforementioned with a Ute to use as a system if you ever go for multi-day trips or want to haul out meat. I've not used everything out there, but from what I have used their harness, frame, and belt setup is the best for putting the load on your lower body, not your spine and shoulders.

The kit bags are worth looking at, too.

Reactions: jbuck88
Give your money to Mystery Ranch, the Coulee, 2 Day Assault or Scree are some worthy options. They make some great gear!

Not knowing your capacity needs, current or future huinting style, Exo Mtn Gear. If you're needing more capacity, they have bigger bags for the frame, up to 6400.

kifaru stryker xl or hellbender

leaves a lot of room to get another bigger pack since you'll have the frame already and/or use the load shelf to fill with a camp bag or similar

I was going to chime in for hill people gear. I have one of their bags and prefer it to my kuiu for a day pack. If I'm going to pack significant weight that switches. But for day hunts I still prefer my HPG

I use a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Really like the guide lite frame, allows you to bring a quarter or more out with the first trip. Then drop all your stuff and act like a packframe for the rest. I added the beartooth bag last year for a mountain goat hunt and was able to do a week out of it. It's nice to have 1 frame and be able to swap from a daypack to backpacking bag easily

Thanks for everyone’s input. I should have clarified, I’m not looking for a meat hauler. One will be in my future, this I’m looking more for a dedicated day pack. Something to carry all my stuff for a sit, equipment, cameras, tripod, etc.

I use a Pro Trekker 400 AW but that is an older model. It is my usual range bag as it carries all my stuff and has a few options for carrying my RRS tripod.

I’ve got a coulee 40 and love it. Super light for a 40L pack, and the external pockets are awesome. They’ll definitely carry a tripod in a side pocket but I haven’t done it yet. I’ve carried a lot of weight in it and it’s very comfortable. I use it as my main hiking pack as well as overnight pack and you could easily get 3 days worth of supplies and gear in it.