• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Daytime scope for LR clip on

Dakotayote

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2020
BD911139-7620-4B14-914C-FA3303622CD3.jpeg

Looking for some advice regarding my daytime scope. My daytime scope knowledge is limited at best. Clip-on is voodoo M. Rifle is 22CM. Currently running tangent theta 3-15 but it’s big and heavy.
Wish list:
-3-20 or something close to that.
-smallest and lightest possible
-good eye relief.

Any thoughts gentleman!! Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

trijicon tars 3-15

only 47 ounces...

Nothing transmits light like the S&B PMII. It is nuts how much better the glass is than a Razor Gen II HD for example.

The Leupold Mk5 is a great option that is lightweight with good glass.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at the NF 2.5-20 and the S&B PMII. Leupold is a good option too.

I believe Horta mentioned in a post the Leupold had the worst picture out of a bunch of different scopes with the clip ons. I could be off on who posted that though.

Yes some scopes look much better with thermal clip ons than others.

I don't have my 1-10 razor yet to test out but I suspect a 1-10 is going to give the best image, be that the March or the Razor g3. The vudu might also be a good one. I am going to try out my thermal with the LHT again when I have some time and decide on it or the 1-10 razor for my primary NV gun to run with clip on. The March 1.5-15 looks realy interesting though

Reactions: BurtG
SpecterOZbyELCAN.jpg

View attachment 8029824

You want a lower minimum power than that unless your running a inod or some shit

I am wondering if glass quality makes a noticeable difference when it comes to thermal clip ons. Or do some scopes just happen to look better with clip ons, for 1 reason or another??

That TT garbage, I’ll trade you straight across for a Tasco world class from 1992. Only because it’s Christmas and im in a giving mood!

Seriously you’ve got an amazing setup there just go run it. Unless you’re hurting for field of view on low magnification what is there to gain? Throw it on an AR15 with a LPVO if you want to shave some weight.

That TT garbage, I’ll trade you straight across for a Tasco world class from 1992. Only because it’s Christmas and im in a giving mood!

Seriously you’ve got an amazing setup there just go run it. Unless you’re hurting for field of view on low magnification what is there to gain? Throw it on an AR15 with a LPVO if you want to shave some weight.
thanks LR338. I feel bad looking for something different I do like the TT. The thing is just a beast and if glass quality isn’t that important with thermal clip ons why run this big guy. I’ve thought about the 3-27. I’m really wanting to increase my top mag. But need to stay around 3 for low end mag.
Real First World problems huh!!

Depending on the Thermal, you definitely want something with adjustable Parallax.
My 1-10 G3 razor doesn't play well with my Super Yoter, but it's fine behind my xELR. I don't like the illuminated reticle in the G3 for longer range work either. The center circle is so bright it overpowers everything else. It would be excellent for stuff inside of 100yds though.

I do like my 2.5-20 NX8. The Mil-C is evenly lit and holds are easy to use. I run the parallax around 150yds for the xELR and on the closet setting for the SY-Cii. I've found that you need at least 12x to use the holds on a reticle with a thermal. There simply isn't enough light coming through to pick out the smaller lines on the lower powers. The eye relief does seem slightly less forgiving, but it hasn't caused me any issues.

I have an old Burris XTRii 3-15 laying around that I've played with a little behind the Yoter. It works surprisingly well. The SCR reticle is easy to pick up, the eye relief is forgiving, and I was able to dial the parallax out. I don't think it's a true 3x on the low end though because I was loosing FOV.

Out of those combinations, the G3/SY-Cii combo is the only one that I noticed any difference in image detail.

found that you need at least 12x to use the holds on a reticle with a thermal. There simply isn't enough light coming through to pick out the smaller lines on the lower power
A tree reticle makes it a lot easier

Up to this point I’ve been using a tree reticle. I haven’t got the TraceIR hooked up yet. 1 thing at a time and it seems Im slow at everything. Well, most everything.

Up to this point I’ve been using a tree reticle. I haven’t got the TraceIR hooked up yet. 1 thing at a time and it seems Im slow at everything. Well, most everything.
TracIR will show you how much goes a lot of stocks and handguards have.

It’s shocking

thanks LR338. I feel bad looking for something different I do like the TT. The thing is just a beast and if glass quality isn’t that important with thermal clip ons why run this big guy. I’ve thought about the 3-27. I’m really wanting to increase my top mag. But need to stay around 3 for low end mag.
Real First World problems huh!!
I'm sorry but your post makes little sense to me so I must be missing something

Top Mag?

Even the UTC Xii can't get clear images at any reasonable hunting distance and magnification above 10-12X. The pixelation is the limiting factor. I don't believe the Voodoo-M offers improved performance over the UTC Xii in terms of pixelation when magnified. The screen resolution is the same

Your TT dayscope is head and shoulders above any S&B. The TT is a high resolution optic which will minimize distortion and likely get you the biggest performance boost when coupled to a thermal clip on. The 3-27 is a poor choice since you will never come close to using the top end of that with a thermal clip on. You're already limited in terms of usable magnification with the TT you're using. Not to mention that the 3-27 is heavier than your TT. FOV is a wash so have no clue what you would be gaining going to 3-27. The TT also routs the S&B 3-20...old scope and not in the league of either the TT or ZCO 4-20.

None of this makes sense...Must be missing something

Last edited:
I use a 3-20 ultra short and 1-6 LPVOs with my clip ons. I also have it zeroed for a 5-25 pm2 but it’s too much mag on the low end and I don’t like it that much for that use.

You can swap the scope to anything you want and you're still going to have a pig of a rifle with that barrel contour and stock. If you want a lighter setup for night hunting then start with a lighter base rifle. Q Fix is the king dingaling for a lightweight clip on host.

OTN sells the PoT TracIR cable for $1K. It’s nothing special and has no remote, so you’ll have to use the buttons on the Raptar, but it’s a minor inconvenience.

Works great — just like the Trij/Oasys.

Behold, a $1000 cable. :poop:

E8D5EC53-4BB9-4D71-90AD-1591DE925071.jpeg

699417CA-E7A1-4230-9E40-01B6A561E9ED.jpeg

F0A20B44-C335-43B4-A452-7790E9F27DAD.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hootiewho
I'm sorry but your post makes little sense to me so I must be missing something

Top Mag?

Even the UTC Xii can't get clear images at any reasonable hunting distance and magnification above 10-12X. The pixelation is the limiting factor. I don't believe the Voodoo-M offers improved performance over the UTC Xii in terms of pixelation when magnified. The screen resolution is the same

Your TT dayscope is head and shoulders above any S&B. The TT is a high resolution optic which will minimize distortion and likely get you the biggest performance boost when coupled to a thermal clip on. The 3-27 is a poor choice since you will never come close to using the top end of that with a thermal clip on. You're already limited in terms of usable magnification with the TT you're using. Not to mention that the 3-27 is heavier than your TT. FOV is a wash so have no clue what you would be gaining going to 3-27. The TT also routs the S&B 3-20...old scope and not in the league of either the TT or ZCO 4-20.

None of this makes sense...Must be missing something
Question for ya brother, what remote is that on the side there, and is the TracIR cable shipping from POT already?
Sorry for the late response just got back from vacation!! It is a wired remote for my voodoo only not raptor (yet). POT is telling me they will have a remote that will be able to work with both in the future??