• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Dbal A3 vs D2

Who did you contact to get the military discount? I’ve checked govx and ExpertVoice. Found one website that isn’t actually Steiner, “Steiner-scopes.com” that offers it but it seems a little sketchy
Try Guidefitter.com

Steiner has raised wholesale prices 3 -4 times in the last year, so keep in mind prices you may have seen a while back may not be valid any more.

I have only used the D2 but it was impressive. With distant lights from a farm(bright as fuck) you could easily see coyotes and the laser past 500 yards. I know i would not be happy with anything weaker in either department.

Our pricing has remained the same with our Steiner units as we're a very large distributor for them and we also have Hide discounts on these as well along with LE and Mil discounts. Feel free to PM!

I would agree that A3 illuminator is useless.
What about OTAL + new IR Modelite vs D2? 😒
I've seen video of the modlite 850 and it'll autogate your NV indoors or indoors trying to look out.

I went with a Malkoff 250mw and that doesn't mess with my NV indoors at all. Outdoors it's pretty good to 50yds and starts falling off after, 100 is probably your limit there.

I think application is super important with NV. Would I put a D2 on my SBR? No.

If I wanted to shoot coyotes or really anything past 100 I'd be looking at a D2 real hard.

Everybody loves the mawl but the D2 seems damn close performance wise and if you're Mil/LE steiner takes GREAT care of you.

I kinda wanna try the Malkoff 700 or whatever but they're pricey for experimentation.

I've seen video of the modlite 850 and it'll autogate your NV indoors or indoors trying to look out.

I went with a Malkoff 250mw and that doesn't mess with my NV indoors at all. Outdoors it's pretty good to 50yds and starts falling off after, 100 is probably your limit there.

I think application is super important with NV. Would I put a D2 on my SBR? No.

If I wanted to shoot coyotes or really anything past 100 I'd be looking at a D2 real hard.

Everybody loves the mawl but the D2 seems damn close performance wise and if you're Mil/LE steiner takes GREAT care of you.

I kinda wanna try the Malkoff 700 or whatever but they're pricey for experimentation.
The D2 illuminator is very good, but D2 and mawl are not close in performance in reality. I mean, they illuminate and point similarly for sure, but the mawl settings and switching are miles above the D2, and going from one mode to the next is seemless. The only place the D2 would even be close is with a long range clip on, but even then the inability to aim the illuminator is a problem.

I’m voting D2 all day. The A3 is anemic for anything other than indoor use in my opinion. I mainly use night vision for night hunting and the A3 would not interest me at all. I have a perst 3 and it serves my purpose well. That being said my buddy has a D2, and if I could do it all over again I probably just would have bought one of those. He won an A3 in a raffle and it was laughable compared to everything else. That’s my .02 cents, again I hunt with night vision, not operate.

I really don’t mind the A3. However, I also have a modlite ir850 on my helmet for further distance illum

Reactions: WhereNow&How
I really don’t mind the A3. However, I also have a modlite ir850 on my helmet for further distance illum
That works well. I have Luna ELIR's slaved to A3 but also have Helmet mounted Evolva T20's that basically do the same as the Mod IR 850.

I also have the Mod IR 850 and it is a really good light, but it is easy for me to install a IR 950 Pass Filter on the Evolva's which eliminates ALL red glow for a truly covert to animal eyes LED illuminator. Albeit the IR 950 Pass Filter does cut down on the Evolva throw, but it still performs great to about 300 yards with the IR 950 Pass Filter and ability to zoom in the beam width. If I need the full power and throw of the Evolva I just unscrew the 950 IR Pass Filter.

Reactions: aslrookie
Good call. A lot of folks are putting an A3 or even an 9007 together with a Luna ELIR3.

I have a 9007 and a Luna but don't have them tied together.

A3s have been shipping fairly consistently from Steiner whereas the D2s have been more backed up- that's another thing to consider in today's market.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Question for the D2 users: how close to centered do you find your aiming laser is in the illumination circle?

Question for the D2 users: how close to centered do you find your aiming laser is in the illumination circle?
I don't have one but have some similar LED illuminators. I speculate that all in all it will look pretty centered simply because you can have the Illuminator spread so wide. Them things put out a shit ton of IR light.

Very. The vis/ir lasers sighted in per Telluric target for ~150 yds. I haven't actually verified at 150 yds yet.
20210219_155250.jpg

Very. The vis/ir lasers sighted in per Telluric target for ~150 yds. I haven't actually verified at 150 yds yet. View attachment 7561499
What I mean is that since the illuminator is not zeroable, how close to the center of the illuminator do your lasers stay? The vis and ir lasers should be slaved.

As I mentioned it is very centered even after zeroing. If you google Dbal D2 videos you'll find some good comparisons/ examples.

What I mean is that since the illuminator is not zeroable, how close to the center of the illuminator do your lasers stay? The vis and ir lasers should be slaved.
The spread on those illuminators is so wide you can't help but be centered. Or at least it will appear that way.

Reactions: WALLYBOB
W, N & H .... where does one get ahold of the 950 IR pass filter and how do you screw it onto the fisheye lens of the Evolva? Thank you.

W, N & H .... where does one get ahold of the 950 IR pass filter and how do you screw it onto the fisheye lens of the Evolva? Thank you.
You can get them on Amazon. Then get a Butler Creek Cap that fits the outside of your light. Then insert Pass Filter into Flip Portion of Butler Creek Cap.

Reactions: WALLYBOB
Hi, for those who handled both:
1. What is the weight difference, significant feel?
2. Is D2 much more bulkier?
3. Is D2 bulkiness worth for the illuminator?
4. and the final question, is the price $1k for either brand new a great deal?
Thank you 😊
Honestly, I sell Steiner and L3 devices, the D2 is probably to big for an SBR. The A3 is a useable option and so is the civi peq15.
But... if you really want max power illuminator and laser buy a Perst 4 and a Modlite with the IR850 head (some feel like this it to much illuminator) . It all depends on what you’re doing but in my time using nv the illuminator on the civi units works where you need it to (inside) or in adverse lighting conditions (urban areas). If you decide you want a Steiner, L3 device or Modlite shoot me a message.