• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision DBAL or SUREFIRE X400V IRC

kcbird

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
TX
I am setting up a rifle to be used with a helmet mounted pvs 14. The DBAL has no visible light option and 2 year warranty. The surefire has a visible light and lifetime warranty. It seems to me that the surefire would be the way to go. With visible light, IR light, IR aiming laser and a lifetime warranty. This is my first step into night vision world so let me know if I am going in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the help.

i have a dbal and then use a small separate surefire pistol light for white light. enough white light for my purposes, but separate from dbal so less risk of turning controls to wrong setting and flashing light white instead of laser. and i can take off and use on pistol if i dont feel like i need the rifle in that moment

It’s a good solution on a limited budget, and it’s about as lightweight and compact as can be.

Definitely a serviceable option. Not perfect, but effective.

As TheHorta said, not a bad deal for the capability you're getting. You are somewhat limited however as switching between ir and white light on the Surefires isn't quick.

If I was going to set up a basic night vision rig with limited funds right now, I'd probably buy a TNVC tor mini laser, a surefire scout (white) light to mount on my rifle, and a surefire x300v (armsunlimited has these cheap right now) for my helmet. That way you'd have a laser and white light always ready, and supplemental ir on the helmet if you need it. Total cost might not be far off the standalone x400v.

I find myself using my helmet mounted x300v all the time for navigating, looking out into fields, and driving, so it's nice to not have it stuck to my rifle or pistol. The surefire diffuser cap works great too - with it on the x300v, the ir light is as good as a set of headlights.

- Will

so...the x400v sucked. I have the 300v all over the place. But the 400v blows

Why? when used with a tape switch it has 3 separate ways to turn it completely off. 2 of which are far to easy to turn on and off.

And the main switch is stupid as hell - let’s put an easy to move switch in the most vulnerable place possible.

We sold every one of them and went to the TLr-VIR-II

I don’t see an appreciable difference in the switching between the X400V and the TLR VIR II. Please explain?

ETA: Never mind. You’re talking about the selector switch, not the activator. Derp.

Agree.

What I do NOT like about the TLR is that you CANNOT run IR laser-only like you can with the X400V. That’s a big deal for me personally. In fact, most of the time I’ll run it in laser-only or IR light-only mode, which the TLR can’t do.

BC13C81B-1354-45FE-AB12-B742F97FEB8D.jpeg

Attachments

• BED46037-16AF-489C-BDAC-F55A2D24884F.jpeg
    BED46037-16AF-489C-BDAC-F55A2D24884F.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Reactions: silentwoods
I've been playing with the Dbal-Pl for about 6 months. Im pretty happy with it. Switch location is fine, but little tricky to get used to.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: TheHorta
I’m as low-speed as they come, and not too bright. For folks like me, I do NOT recommend the PL. Not because it isn’t great at what it does, but rather because my body can’t stop pushing the right-side button every time I do NOT want white light.

Y’all can scream “train more... blah, blah, blah” but it’s just WAY too easy to ND WL with this thing. I’d never use it in any mission critical “tactical” situation. The irony is, the very reason I like it is because it’s effortless to switch between IR/WL. It’s bittersweet.

The other issue is, it’s a damn brick. You could drive a Prius into my custom G21/PL Kydex holster.

But that’s just me.