• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DBM feeding problem fix

pwizl

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2011
Bellingham, WA
I ran into a little problem when I was getting my rifle put together. I found that the AI mag in my CDI bottom metal didn’t quite snug up to the bottom of the receiver as much as I needed it to. Now this is in no way a problem with CDI or AI or Manners, it’s just the result of the totality of all those factors along with bedding the action. Parts are always made to a certain template, for lack of a better word, to fit in or on all of a certain rifle action and there are going to be variations, either in the action itself, the inletting of the stock and the way the dbm fits along with other factors and that’s just the way it is. My problem was causing the mag to be too low to feed the last round properly. The first 4 fed great but when it got to the last one the bolt would scrape along the top of the cartridge instead of catching on the rim like it was supposed to. I could push the mag up with my hand and the round would load just fine, but I don't want to have to do this every time so how do I solve this problem? I tried to move the mag release latch to the next hole but that was too much because the mag would not lock in. This is what I came up with…

Built up a tape dam to build up a ledge for the latch to catch
and poured some Marine Tex, this is how it turned out..

IMGP4080.jpg

You can see how much I added

IMGP4090.jpg

IMGP4085.jpg

Before, notice the gap between the top of the magazine and the bottom of the action
IMGP4094.jpg

After
IMGP4093.jpg

Feeds much better now
IMGP4096.jpg

IMGP4098.jpg

IMGP4102.jpg

Not sure how or if this will hold up, but for now I'm happy.

Re: DBM feeding problem fix

did you try moving the mag catch on the DBM? nice fix, that really was a big difference in the photos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you try moving the mag catch on the DBM? nice fix, that really was a big difference in the photos</div></div>

I moved it to the next hole but it was too much, the mag wouldn't catch on the latch

You could also put the pin in the other hole, that you said made the mag to high and not lock in. Then carefully file the dbm latch to where it catches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also put the pin in the other hole, that you said made the mag to high and not lock in. Then carefully file the dbm latch to where it catches. </div></div>

Oooo, didn't even think of that. I'll see how this holds up then do that if it chips or gets worn down.

ditto what he said. latch up, file down

but good job on the fix.