• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DBM systems pros and cons

Re: DBM systems pros and cons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> To be honest, I am so busy I dont really have time to do this anyway and would glady let an experienced gunsmith do this job for me as money is not the issue. The problem is finding such a person in the STL area without having to ship.</div></div>
Sure, it's a pain to ship, but it's the nature of this hobby. It's worth the extra effort to send your gear to someone reputable. For your area, I would give Ken Lin a call at GA Precision GAP or "Moon" at Crescent Customs (816-841-9322)

Other options include Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs, Robert Snyder at RW Snyder Gunsmithing, Keith at Phoenix Custom Rifles, Chad Dixon (gazillion posts in the gunsmithing section), Robert Gradous, and many more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And as to this "AICS 1.5 or 2.0 or a Manners mini-chassis"
I dont know what that is</div></div>

Manner's mini-chassis

AICS

The difference between 1.5 and 2 is that 1.5 has a non folding stock. Here is a pic of rifle spec'd out with an OD Green AICS 2.0:
11468.jpg

If you can hang on a couple weeks, we have a new batch coming out.

A new version of our Short action that fits the M5 inlet as well as our std. short action and long action drop in.

Ok guys the info you have all provided here has been invaluable and really appreciated.
From all of these comments, a common theme seems to run through most posts but not all.
Tell me if I'm wrong.
In the case of a remington 700, changing from a stock set up internal mag to a DBM system:
Any system that is of a drop in nature and requires no inlarging to the stocks inlet, will not accomadate an AI mag.
The drop in systems all use a propriatary mag of one type or another that is not universal and not always plentiful.
Not to mention the reliabilty of the AI mags seems to be unquestioned. The general consensus seems to suggest, the drop in type are generally thinner material so they fit the smaller inlet and if you want a nice beefy system that will accomadate the slightly heavier stronger AI mags, you must modify and inlet the stock.
Now there are many other things that can be talked about, here in terms of which system is better, which of the drop ins does a better job, which one uses better mags, single stack vs double, length of mag, types of mag releases, etc etc but in short, find one that uses a AI compatible mag and run with it.
Please correct any misstatements I have made and thanks, mike

I'm not certain as to whether it was answered yet or not, but PT&G is shorthand for Pacific Tool & Gauge. A company who, amongst other things, makes aftermarket parts for Remingtons & other rifles. As well as tooling + tools to work on same. One variety of said parts which they manufacture are several varieties of DBM floor metal. You can take a peek here http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/remingtonperf.htm
And it's definitely worth giving them a phone call, as they're both very friendly & helpful, along with being a wealth of infomation. IE; they kinda' define customer service & satisfaction, in my experience.

Again, I hope I'm not repeating something which has been asked & answered. But when one switches to most of the DBM systems out there, specifically, the non drop in units, then yes, the underside of the stock Must be re-inletted. And in the case of an HS Precision stock, some of the integral aluminum block which runs the length of the stock, must be milled away.
This is because the inlet for the DBM floor metal is; longer, wider, & deeper, than is the case for factory BDL metal. And the depth of the inlet + length of the pillars is critical to getting the DBM guard to sit at the correct distance from the action in order to get the rounds to feed smoothly & reliably from the magazines when the bolt is manipulated.

If that's unclear, I can try & explain it again. But your best bet to clear up much of this is to pick a good smith, like say the gents at APA or GAP & talk to them live. And once you've picked out what make of DBM you plan to use, ship the DBM hardware, as well as your rig to their shop, & have them install everything.
It's definitely worth it, especially as they have CNC mills which will precisely inlet a stock for bottom metal X, or Y. In addition to their experience & expertise in having installed these types of setups in hundreds of rifles.

Thanks buddy, that was very helpful and sunds like good advise.
I did not know but always suspected there may be more complications or at least diffferences in inletting and fitting the HS as apposed to the factory stock.
Thanks, again, Mike

I have a stockys/ Wyatts DBM. I had to take a small file to the mag catch on both 5rd mags I have.They wouldn't drop free/would hang up.
But after a 5 minutes file job,both work great now.

Dyna, I put the HS on my 5R a couple yrs ago. The mags are 4 and 10 rnd. It dropped right into stock, but when the mag was inserted it was too tight and I had to sand the opening just slightly for the mags to drop freely. It is a good system, but pricey.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must ask, why are you wanting a DBM? </div></div>
1 It's safest way to load and unload your rifle.
2 for convenience. It's easier to preload magazines
3 the kewl factor is off the chart.

You never said if your action is a SA or LA, my set up is a LA 300 Winamg, just wondering about yours?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadboi77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a stockys/ Wyatts DBM. I had to take a small file to the mag catch on both 5rd mags I have.They wouldn't drop free/would hang up.
But after a 5 minutes file job,both work great now. </div></div>