• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DD mk18 Sbr. Good or bad idea?

chadwickz71

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2022
ennis,tx
Got the opportunity to buy a DD mk18 Sbr. I’ve been looking around wanting to get a 12.5” Grendel in a ultralight weight setup.

I have a few DD rifles both large and small frame and would like to keep them the way they are… I really like their rifles nonetheless.

Just wondering if it would be smart to just buy that rifle while it’s in stock and get my tax stamp going while timing is good on those. Then simply rebarrel it and change bolts.

Probably would go slr adjustable block, pencil barrel, and see from there if I can drop some more weight by changing the forearm and butt to composites if I need/want to.

It’s either that or start from scratch. I just really have had good luck with DD rifles and like their upper/lower billets.

Thoughts

Sounds like you already kinda have your heart set on it, so from that fact alone, I'd say go for it because you'll probably always be thinking, "the one I pieced together is cool but.... I could've had the mk18"

But as for logically and financially, though, I'd piece it together from scratch.

A) Form 1 is still much quicker than Form 4 (at least from the avg I've seen lately)

B) You mentioned re-barrel, new bolt, gas block, handguard, stock. That's a good chunk of the rifle that you'd be re-buying right off the bat. Unless the mk18 is a really good deal, you'd probably be money ahead by just starting with those parts.

Or... buy the mk18 and build a separate Grendel upper for it. Then you get both for essentially the same amount of money you were going to spend anyway.

Agreed with above. Kinda defeats the purpose to buy a branded DD mk18 and then rebarrel. At that point, it's no different than just building a rifle. You can likely get all the hardware cheaper.....even if you buy DD branded stuff on sales and such. You'll definitely come out more expensive buying the mk18 and then the parts to change things out.

I'd buy the mk18 and then get another upper for the Grendel.

Also, unless it's on a trust, individual form 4's are coming back in days, not even weeks. About the same and sometimes faster than form 1's. Not sure how long it will last though.

Current ATF return times. Different answers depending on the source and median vs average, but moral of the story, you won't be waiting 18mo+ to get it like in years past.

Silencershop.com:
Screenshot_20240427_023724_Chrome.jpg

National Gun Trust:
Screenshot_20240427_024044_Chrome.jpg

I have one, it's ok. It more boils down to "are you actually going to shoot it, or are you ok with it just sitting around?" They're not good at anything, unless you're super into practicing CQB. Mine just kinda sits around unless I do some form of night hunting, then I take it with me occasionally (but more often I take my 12.5 because it's just more pleasant to shoot).

I was in your shoes. I really wanted one, I thought they look really cool, and it was super neat when I picked it up. A month of ownership goes by, and the honeymoon period wears off, and then not a day goes by when I don't look at it and think "I could have used that money to buy something I'd actually shoot more". I'm not saying it's bad, but honestly I'd rather just have its cost in ammo.

Reactions: Chicory01