• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air key micro question

Chasingpro

Captain
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
I just picked up the sandman s. I want to buy the key micro flash hider, is the inside diameter for the 5/8-24 30 cal? I can’t seem to find the info anywhere and deadair is closed right now.

Yes, 5/8x24 is the standard .30cal thread pitch. You’re sandman should have come with a standard keymo brake in this pitch as well.

Yes, 5/8x24 is the standard .30cal thread pitch. You’re sandman should have come with a standard keymo brake in this pitch as well.
I have the brake. I don’t care to put a brake on a ar pistol though. I care about flash suppression. Just wanted to make sure my bullets don’t hit the tines.

I have the brake. I don’t care to put a brake on a ar pistol though. I care about flash suppression. Just wanted to make sure my bullets don’t hit the tines.
You might want to consider putting a brake on a short barrel rifle/pistol. Muzzle brakes like the Dead Air KeyMo have proven to help mitigate blast-baffle erosion by acting as sort of a sacrificial blast baffle. And short barrels have TONS of fire and heat, which is death for suppressors. I would consider using at least a JMac Customs 2-chamber brake on a shorter barrel anything...Especially a 5.56.

You might want to consider putting a brake on a short barrel rifle/pistol. Muzzle brakes like the Dead Air KeyMo have proven to help mitigate blast-baffle erosion by acting as sort of a sacrificial blast baffle. And short barrels have TONS of fire and heat, which is death for suppressors. I would consider using at least a JMac Customs 2-chamber brake on a shorter barrel anything...Especially a 5.56.

It’s going to be for a .300 blackout subsonic build if that matters

It’s going to be for a .300 blackout subsonic build if that matters
A little bit, but still a short barrel, it will create more heat and flame and blast, compared to a longer barrel with more room to burn-up all the powder before exit.

I run the JMac 2-chamber KeyMo (same thing I linked you to) but in 1/2-28 threads on my 7.5" 5.56 pistol. I highly recommend the JMac brakes. All their stuff is super high-quality. I also have a few of their stripped M4 lowers. The build quality is like the highest-tolerance milspec M16/M4 lower you can get. Highly recommend picking one up while in their store. Well-worth the $129.

Last edited:
You reckon this applies, even with the Stellite baffles of the Sandman? Similar to OP (but with 5.56), I'm looking to add the Sandman to a 10.5" 5.56 rifle and was thinking flash suppressor, simply because the SiCo 3 chamber ASR brake it's got on it now is tooth-rattling loud when firing unsuppressed.

FWIW, I do see some erosion on the first baffle of the brake (probably 5k rounds through it), but it's made of stainless steel rather than Stellite. Not what I would consider an alarming amount, but I'd be curious if there'd be any erosion at all if the brake/baffle were Stellite...

You reckon this applies, even with the Stellite baffles of the Sandman? Similar to OP (but with 5.56), I'm looking to add the Sandman to a 10.5" 5.56 rifle and was thinking flash suppressor, simply because the SiCo 3 chamber ASR brake it's got on it now is tooth-rattling loud when firing unsuppressed.

FWIW, I do see some erosion on the first baffle of the brake (probably 5k rounds through it), but it's made of stainless steel rather than Stellite. Not what I would consider an alarming amount, but I'd be curious if there'd be any erosion at all if the brake/baffle were Stellite...
Yes, very much so... No material is concentrated flame-proof... Not even Stellite, Inconel, or Marriaging Alloy (aeronautical alloy)...Some are just harder and handle it better than others, delaying the erosion longer than lighter alloys. How do you think they cut every type of metal? Concentrated flame...Be it oxy/acetylene or plasma cutter, or laser. 😉

3-prong flash-suppressors have been shown to actually exacerbate wear on blast chambers and blast baffles and cause greater erosion at a substantially faster rate.

If doing something like running a lightweight can on a shorty 5.56, yeah, maybe don't run a three-prong flash hider because there are nicer ways to treat the blast baffle.

If running a Sandman on a subsonic 300 BLK of any length, do whatever you want - it'll last beyond the heat death of the universe.