• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air Mask vs Rugged Oculus

IrishWind

Laughing at the Absurdity of it all
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2003
NoVa
About to buy .22lr can. It is between these cans. Any preferences between the two? Hosts will be both .22LR rifles and pistols. I can get the mask now. Or wait a bit more and hope the Oculus becomes available again.

I went through this the last couple weeks watching videos and reading forums. You really can’t go wrong with most rimfire cans the biggest thing to look at ease of cleaning. I bought a mask last week, there’s a reason it’s so popular. Same with the thunderbeast.

oculus is slightly heavier, slightly longer, and slightly quieter. Sounds right.

I have both these cans in jail and I can't wait for them to get freed up! Tired of using my TiRant 45/Savage FV-SR combo to bust possums. Doesn't aim very naturally lol.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
to throw another wrench in there. I have the Q El Camino and a Surefire Ryder 22a.

I love both but I hate cleaning the Surefire because of the AL baffles. That was 100% the reason behind buying the El Camino.
Also the Thunderbeast is suppose to be great.

Love my oculus.. being able to shoot the shorter K config on my pistols and longer configuration on my bolt gun is great. Super easy to clean as well.. I couldn't be happier

I have both of these and they cleared on the same day about 2 years and change ago, so I've had some time to shoot both a bunch and also to clean both several times.

My opinion is that the Oculus is the best rimfire can on the market. That's based on my needs and wants and modes of use. I have shot both extensively on the Vudoo 22 and also on a couple of pistols and a couple of Ruger American Rimfires that my kids have. I think that the Mask is a very good can and don't think you'd be sorry for your choice there, but my feeling is that the Oculus is better in nearly every way that matters to me. So, what do I mean and how do I think it's better?

First, the Oculus has been consistently more accurate on the Vudoo than has been the Mask. That is with a large sample size and many types of ammunition. It shoots smaller groups and has a little less POI change.

Second, it's easier to clean than the Mask and it's built just a bit more stout. I don't do the dip, so I actually touch the baffles and use liquid cleaner and an orange wood stick in conjunction with an ultrasonic cleaner to keep them in decent shape. The Oculus baffles are easier to clean and a bit more heavily built and feel less fragile. The Mask baffles don't feel like egg shells or anything, they just feel a little less substantial than the Oculus baffles. They both go back together fairly easily.

Third, to me it's nice to be able to take the Oculus down to the K configuration on a 4.5" Ruger pistol and shoot bulk box ammo at sub sonic speeds and still have it Pedowood quiet. It is also a little easier to carry in a holster in that configuration, which is something I do frequently when I'm out walking around in the vast openess of New Mexico. Actually, it's the only can I have that I actually change the configuration on like that.

The thing that the Mask does beat the Oculus on is weight. I measure all my cans when I get them home and keep all of that data in a notebook for future reference. On a fairly high quality scale, the Mask weighed 6.54oz, the Oculus 6.99oz. For comparison, the Optimus Micro weighed 9.55oz. Of course you can shoot 223 through that one, so it makes sense that it would be a bit heavier. I would add that while the Mask is about a half ounce lighter, visually, it looks like it would be even lighter. It's a very svelte and minimalist design that does look nice. Overall, while I would say that I'm happy with both purchases, I feel like I would be happier today with two Oculi.

If you have any questions or needs pics or whatever just let me know.

Haven't shot the mask, but I love my Oculus.
FWIW, I never use the short config though.
Tried it once on a Ruger mark 3 pistol and it was too loud for my preferences.
Even on a 16" bolt gun, I prefer the long config.

Haven't shot the mask, but I love my Oculus.
FWIW, I never use the short config though.
Tried it once on a Ruger mark 3 pistol and it was too loud for my preferences.
Even on a 16" bolt gun, I prefer the long config.

I've found the trick for the short config is to have a subsonic bullet passing through it. With a Ruger Mk pistol and a barrel under 4.5" almost all ammo is subsonic and it's still stupid quiet for me. I agree on a rifle with super sonic ammo, it's not that quiet compared to the long config and subs.

No help with the mask as I have never owned one but I have nothing but great things to say about the oculus that I have!

I've found the trick for the short config is to have a subsonic bullet passing through it. With a Ruger Mk pistol and a barrel under 4.5" almost all ammo is subsonic and it's still stupid quiet for me. I agree on a rifle with super sonic ammo, it's not that quiet compared to the long config and subs.
I shoot subsonic 22 exclusively.
We all define "quiet" differently I guess :)

Reactions: NWnewguy
I have a TBAC 22 Takedown, but I’d go Oculus on my next 22 can because of the different configurations.

I just purchased the TBAC 22 from Hansohn Bros, and got to inspect it the other day. Man I am starting to understand the obsession.

Have the Mask, it is very good. I have a Rugged Surge and a Micro30 on the way, and I'm extremely impressed with their quality.

In order I'd go ThunderBeast, Oculus (I like the modular feature), Mask.

Hansohn Brothers is good to go. I ordered the suppressor, got confirmation immediately, they transferred it to my FFL MUCH faster than I thought it'd get there. FFL takes care of transfer and tax stamp. Very impressed.

I have a Mask but short of the best deal ever I don't think I'm going to but another DA product.

I feel like Dead Air is experiencing some blowback from their quality control issues due to outsourced manufacturing.

I lost my takedown spanner for my mask a few years back, they mailed me a new one free of charge no questions asked. My cs experience was positive.

Watching friends go through their horrible CS and QC issues has been off putting to say the least.

I had the same trepidation but couldn't resist when I saw the numbers for the nomax/nomad L.

Fingers crossed :)

I had the same trepidation but couldn't resist when I saw the numbers for the nomax/nomad L.

Fingers crossed :)

Nomad L is legit bro...I ran a prototype on my 300 Norma and it might have been the quietest 30 cal can I have heard to date

Reactions: CaptArab
Nomad L is legit bro...I ran a prototype on my 300 Norma and it might have been the quietest 30 cal can I have heard to date

This makes me feel better about the $1100 silencer shop withdrawal on my bank statement.

Not to thread jack, but I'm actually planning a 16" 308 dual purpose range/ hunting build around it as we speak.

Tac A1 is mighty tempting, but would be a pig to lug on a hunting trip.

This makes me feel better about the $1100 silencer shop withdrawal on my bank statement.

Not to thread jack, but I'm actually planning a 16" 308 dual purpose range/ hunting build around it as we speak.

Tac A1 is mighty tempting, but would be a pig to lug on a hunting trip.

I did the same but backwards, purchased a Nomad-L for the MPR. It's easy to pack and fairly light...

i-885D3vZ-X2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: CaptArab
OSS RAD 22, do it!!!! its awesome!

but between the two you listed I like the Rugged more because you have the ability to turn it into a K config.

Last edited:
these decisions can be paralyzing, but I assure you, either one will make you very happy.
Just throw back a few brews and click "Add to Cart" :)

6-18 months from now you'll get a phone call and be a happy man.

BTW, my rimfire can has been a great marriage activity for the wife and I.
She loves shooting my suppressed rimfire rifles.

Do it for your spouse/kids/neighbors/etc :)

My brother's Oculus sounds outstanding, it handily beat all of my rimfire cans (including the relatively recent Halcyon) on a pistol w/ the exception of the Optimus Micro which sounded identical to our ears. On rifles most of the 22 cans we have sound very similar, but pistols really separate the men from the boys. The modularity of the Oculus is take it or leave it for me, but both of us LOVE the fixed mount vs. having the can unthread from its mount instead of the barrel. His Spectre 2 does that a lot and I've read that many Mask owners have experienced the same, it can become aggravating. If I was buying a strictly rimfire can today, it would be an Oculus. The Optimus Micro is absolutely the tits though, IMHO.

I have an oculus that I purchased from Hansohn and couldn’t be happier. Truth is I have 3 22lr cans and could use another. I have a cheap tacsol that is all aluminum and is a total bastard to clean but on a pistol it is badass light. No first round pop. My other can is a spectre2 that Is also a well made can that can be “dipped” which is a hell of alot easier to clean. My point is you really can’t go wrong with your choice. I would just buy both, you’ll use em. Cheers

I found the TBAC 22 Takedown to be most consistently accurate from my vudoo. this was shooting center x exclusively, through the TBAC, AAC Halcyon, Rugged Oculus, SilencerCo Switchback and an older SilencerCo Sparrow SS. I have an Odin Nav 22 on the way that I’ll also shoot, but probably won’t recreate the test with all of them again. Maybe one day I’ll try a Q can and Dead Air, but for now I’m loyal to TBAC. Modularity is not a benefit for my use, and my results are only for my gun.

@Cynical, …ANY UPDATE on the Nav 22? I’m currently looking at 22lr can options, so I’d like to hear what you think about the Odin Nav 22 you got vs. the TBAC 22 Takedown you’d previously found to be your most accurate . How does the accuracy and POI shift of the Nav 22 compare to the TBAC?

If I needed a rimfire can, I'd buy the tbac from hansohnbrothers this weekend.

Check up on Reddit r/gundeals, you can stack two coupons and get 20% off.