• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead Air Mask

Sandhillshunter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2020
So I went and picked up my Omega this week and what do I do? I put a Dead Air Mask in Jail! They had a Thunderbeast and some other 22lr's as well, but the Mask being a little shorter is why I went that route. Maybe it's just me being new to the suppressor game, but it seems like there are a lot of decent 22lr cans out there. This was a harder decision than what I would have thought, as to which one to go with.

Quick question. Can the Mask be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner or are there better options?

Thanks

Reactions: 6gunner
Mask is an awesome can!! It’s my only 22lr can but thing is a tank. The baffles can be cleaned ultrasonic, I think if you put the tube and end pieces in it might change the finish?? I usually just do the dip method.

Reactions: Sandhillshunter
Getting ready to get one myself! I already had it narrowed down to three (Silencerco, AAC and the Dead Air), I have heard nothing but great things about the Dead Air.

Reactions: Sandhillshunter
I've had a mask for a few years now and love it. Last time I cleaned my baffles I threw them in my stainless media and tumbled them, worked great.

I just when to a SilencerCo kiosk today and submit my fingerprints for the Dead Air Mask. I hope it doesn't take 13 months like it did for my Thunder Beast Ultra..

I just when to a SilencerCo kiosk today and submit my fingerprints for the Dead Air Mask. I hope it doesn't take 13 months like it did for my Thunder Beast Ultra..
I was told that Individual Single Shot Trusts that are e-filed (like with Silencer Shop) are going 4-5 months right now. So that's what I'm hoping for. Fingers crossed. I've got 3 cans submitted at the same time. When I get stimulated for $2000 from the gub'ment, I plan on ordering a Sandman-S just for my AR's.

Reactions: 6gunner
if you disassemble it and soak it in half parts white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide overnight it will remove all lead and look new again

Since I'm new to actually owning suppressors (still waiting on my stamps), I've been curious about one major thing with rimfire cans...

If I shoot copper-jacketed .22 bullets (instead of lead nose), does that eliminate the can getting leaded-up? Is it like shooting jacketed rifle bullets through a centerfire can where it rarely-to-never needs cleaning? Because I mostly shoot copper-jacketed Federal and Winchester .22 LR bullets in my guns, and have ever since I was a kid back in the 80's and 90's. And my .22's have always stayed relatively clean and lead-free. Also, I've never had much accuracy luck with the plain leadnose stuff, and always had pretty good results with Federal copper JHP's.

Just been curious about that for years, and never really found an answer.

tbac takedown is the best 22 can by far IMHO, deadair comes in second . sico shit am tired of

Not lead acid, just water with lead in it, it way less toxic than the dip solution
Maybe. Disposal of either has to be done responsibility. I'll stick with the dip. Less things under the workbench. I do have a disposal plan. Used dip gets dumped into the used motor oil bucket, which gets poured into the county's tank set up for motor oil collection.

Since I'm new to actually owning suppressors (still waiting on my stamps), I've been curious about one major thing with rimfire cans...

If I shoot copper-jacketed .22 bullets (instead of lead nose), does that eliminate the can getting leaded-up? Is it like shooting jacketed rifle bullets through a centerfire can where it rarely-to-never needs cleaning? Because I mostly shoot copper-jacketed Federal and Winchester .22 LR bullets in my guns, and have ever since I was a kid back in the 80's and 90's. And my .22's have always stayed relatively clean and lead-free. Also, I've never had much accuracy luck with the plain leadnose stuff, and always had pretty good results with Federal copper JHP's.

Just been curious about that for years, and never really found an answer.

Do you mean copper plated? The only copper jacketed 22's I remember shooting were 22 magnums. The stuff that I have that says JHP's still looks like it's only plated. Even the plated stuff will have a little lead fouling (not near as much though), plus the powder is dirty and leaves residue that will build up. As far as your accuracy issue, I'd experiment with different brands and weights of 22's. Just find something your gun likes to shoot. I went through about 15-18 brands/types before I found one that grouped really well.
Anyway, back to your original question.....If you shoot plated or "jacketed" bullets, the lead build up will take longer, but I'd still take a look at the can after about 400-500 rounds or so to see if it needs some attention. 22's are just a dirty round, plain and simple, some brands are just less dirty than others. A 22LR just doesn't have the pressure or heat to "self-clean" like a centerfire rifle suppressor will.

Reactions: FuhQ
Maybe. Disposal of either has to be done responsibility. I'll stick with the dip. Less things under the workbench. I do have a disposal plan. Used dip gets dumped into the used motor oil bucket, which gets poured into the county's tank set up for motor oil collection.
Doesn’t sound too responsible to me, hazmat is a little different than waste oil collection.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: el_chupo_
Doesn’t sound too responsible to me, hazmat is a little different than waste oil collection.🤷‍♂️
Yeah, not too worried about a few cups in 5 gallons of oil.

Used motor oil contains contaminants such as arsenic, cadmium, benzene, lead, magnesium and zinc.

So I went and picked up my Omega this week and what do I do? I put a Dead Air Mask in Jail! They had a Thunderbeast and some other 22lr's as well, but the Mask being a little shorter is why I went that route. Maybe it's just me being new to the suppressor game, but it seems like there are a lot of decent 22lr cans out there. This was a harder decision than what I would have thought, as to which one to go with.

Quick question. Can the Mask be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner or are there better options?

Thanks
Great can!

Attachments

• IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
I have a Dead Air Mask on wait now. Likely to be followed by a TBAC 22 Takedown and a centerfire can as well!