• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dead Air XENO vs TBAC CB vs DT

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I just got my first suppressor (Dead Air Nomad TI direct thread) and am already looking for my next one or if I want to change the connection on this one. Not looking to change because I don't like what I have. Just wondering if there is something better. With that in mind I was hoping for some insight on a few things:

1) What is the advantage of a XENO or CB mount system vs direct thread. I was originally just planning to use the current suppressor on one rifle but am now thinking of threading some other barrels. Is the only reason not to do direct thread because you have the potential to screw up the threads on the rifle? Do the other mounting systems make it more repeatable when you take it on and off? I do take it on and off to clean and obviously will be coming on and off if I switch to different rifles.

2) I feel like I have a good sense of what the XENO system is, but haven't really found much on the TBAC CB system, even though I know it is pretty common. Are these similar systems? Which do you think is better? I am thinking of doing an ULTRA 7 for my next can but don't want to go TBAC if the XENO mounting system is significantly better than the CB. It is probably obvious from these options I am looking to stay as light weight as possible.

Thanks in advance. I love all of the expertise in this forum!

You can do the best of both worlds and invest in the Area419 system. Both allow mounts that give you the ability to switch cans and have a universal mount. That's all I use now.

You can do the best of both worlds and invest in the Area419 system. Both allow mounts that give you the ability to switch cans and have a universal mount. That's all I use now.
I am not familiar with that system. Can you use it on TBAC cans?

I haven’t messed with the Xeno but it appears to be an outer break thread with a taper shoulder. Should be repeatable, same as CB.
Zak, can you give more detail on how the CB system works? Is it a left hand thread like the XENO? What is the advantage of it over direct thread?

We like the Xeno alot. It is a minimalist approach, and prices are trending downward. We use and sell Thunderbeast. Their taper mount is quite good, but muzzle devices become pretty personal. If you are moving to a number of rifles, it is good to use the same mount. For that, I like DA mounts the best. If I were to dedicate a gun to a TB suppressor, I would probably opt for the CB muzzle device.

I have a great deal of respect for all things 419, but no direct experience. From a commercial standpoint we resell both DA and TB cans and muzzle devices. 419 is on our list for manufactures to add, but we currently do not offer 419. Not that it matters, but full disclosure.

Zak, can you give more detail on how the CB system works? Is it a left hand thread like the XENO? What is the advantage of it over direct thread?
There's not much to explain as it is mechanically very simple

D464_9291_img.jpg

Flash hider pictured, the brake is the same except for the rear part and the FH tines are obviously brake ports on the brake version.

The outer threads are 0.95x24 TPI and have more thread contact area than any smaller diameter thread of the same pitch as a result == more thread strength and friction. The back of the can has a female taper that matches the taper on the shoulder of the brake and they mate up in a tapered arrangement that is very tight and very stiff. The advantages over DT are better retention due to the taper and the more thread contact area, and we control both sides of the interface for better fit.

This is meant as a precision rifle mount or "sporting use" semi-auto mount. For full auto retention with a secondary locking mechanism, that's the SR mount which is on our Dominus SR, and it's on the 338 Ultra SR since most military solicitations require a secondary locking mechanism. Our SR mount is not "click" or "detent" based so it can retain tightness and not get off by one, etc.

Reactions: DJL2
Yes, you can use it on a variety of systems. My Area419 system allows interchangeable cans with my Nomad, Omega, Rugged, TBAC (CB mount), etc.
Do you know what the weight is of the insert as well as the adapter that goes on the gun? I don't see any weight specs.

There's not much to explain as it is mechanically very simple

D464_9291_img.jpg

Flash hider pictured, the brake is the same except for the rear part and the FH tines are obviously brake ports on the brake version.

The outer threads are 0.95x24 TPI and have more thread contact area than any smaller diameter thread of the same pitch as a result == more thread strength and friction. The back of the can has a female taper that matches the taper on the shoulder of the brake and they mate up in a tapered arrangement that is very tight and very stiff. The advantages over DT are better retention due to the taper and the more thread contact area, and we control both sides of the interface for better fit.

This is meant as a precision rifle mount or "sporting use" semi-auto mount. For full auto retention with a secondary locking mechanism, that's the SR mount which is on our Dominus SR, and it's on the 338 Ultra SR since most military solicitations require a secondary locking mechanism. Our SR mount is not "click" or "detent" based so it can retain tightness and not get off by one, etc.
Thanks for the explanation Zac. Right hand or left hand threads?

+1 for Area 419. I use them on everything and they’re great. I use the Hellfire system. Great brakes to go with as well.