• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Debating an AI....

db_17_85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
NW North Dakota
All,

I've always had a hard-on for AI rifles. I find them beautiful and their reliability is what draws me the most. With the introduction of the AT and the AXMC...I'm drooling. A while back, I picked up a DTA SRS A1. One of the first few put out! The weight, balance, and modular nature were what bit me. But it has just never felt like "home". I've spent a TON of time behind "regular" style bolt rifles. The A1 has been nothing but accurate, reliable, and handy. But...I can't shake this AI bug. So here's my 2 questions:

1. For those of you with the newer AI's, what made you pick the AT or AXMC over the other?

2. Who has the best deals for Sniper Hide members? I know Mile High and EuroOptic carry them, anyone else?

Once I locate a good vendor, I'll be taking a drive to handle the rifles with a bit more attention than previously. I live in ND, so I know I'll be spending some asstime in the truck, but it'll be worth it.

Thanks for your time,

db

Tons of deals for aw aw and ax on the for sale section. That's how I came across my gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1- I picked an AT solely for cost as I did not feel I was losing anything accuracy/function wise to the AX. Plus I kind of like the classic look.

2- Mile High gives a discount to hide members and they are a great company to to business with. That's where I purchased my AT.

I picked the AT because of price. I put a PMII on the AT for a few hundred more than what the AX gun would cost. Spend the money on the folding stock. I ordered from MHS to save the sales tax vs purchasing from EO. If you drive to a different state to check one out, have them ship it to you.

I may pick up a AXMC at some point in the future if i venture into .300/.338.

Ghengis: I'll be/have been browsing around. I'll continue as well.

Bjm and COLESHOOTR: Thanks for your input. Seems like you both enjoyed your MHS interaction. I suppose a trip to Denver would be nice...

I don't have an official AI rifle. I purchased a Gen2 300WM with a non free floating bbl unintentionally.. found out after the fact.
anyways. I also had the AIC chassis bug and watched Midwayusa for pricing every few days. at one time last year they had clearance AX chassis on sale for the price of an AT. I figured they were blems so I didn't buy one. I bought the od green LA AI chassis and it included one mag. was able to return the original seekins LOW rings I had bought originally and bought Seekins 1.26" Extra High IF I remember correctly. and rezeroed my Vortex PST scope.

things I love:
this is a solid proven chassis and works flawlessly with Remington actions
no bedding required, although some do

didn't love:
weight, heavy mother
going my way I had to buy new rings, and rezero obviously
odd torque settings 52? if I remember right?
you are almost forced to buy the folding chassis to make your rifle cleanable!

the AI is not my favorite stock /chassis but its up there.

for me
1. McM a5
2. KRG (wish I had bought the folding stock version) I really like the KRG because its a complete drop in chassis. I went from a factory stock to KRG and did NOT have to buy new rings!
3. AIC
4. Cadex (would have rated it higher but with my experience they will stay here)

my recommendation is to go through EuroOptic. I bought my Cadex chassis from them and they worked with me to fix out all the issues.
just my experience

I have owned 2 AIAW's & now 1 AIAT along with a small truck full of barrels from about every mfg you can think of. Over the years I have also owned about every other bolt action precision rifle you can think of from factory built rifles to full custom rifles on factory actions and custom actions. Long story short I have been lucky enough to have a LOT of exposure to a LOT of very fine rifles and the Accuracy International rifles are the absolute best! I love to old AW's but the ease of barrel change the quick lock brings to the table is the real deciding factor for me. I used to got to the range with a barrel vise, action wrench, 1/2" drive Snap On torque wrench (which is the size of a barrel), large C clamps to secure the barrel vise to a flat surface, and card stock to help grip the barrels. That is a lot of crap to change calibers! Now all I do is bring my Borka kit and extra barrels. In less time it would have taken me to clamp the barrel in the vise I can have a complete barrel change done.

For me the AT gives me everything I need in a precision rifle (and honestly more) at IMO a very good price. I just cant justify the extra cost of the MC for what it brings to the table. Get an AI and see for yourself, you will not be sorry!

I recently picked up an AT and couldn't be happier. To me, AI is top notch. Like jbell said, the quick change barrel makes everything super simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AT is probably your gun. You just cant beat them for the price. I buy everything AI from Mile High. They've been excellent from the beginning, and they just keep getting better, frankly. They would also be the ones doing any service or warranty work should you have an issue, which is nice. Both Mile high and Euro offer Hide deals, and in my experience, end up very close on price.

As mentioned above, dont overlook used deals here. Mile high routinely has used guns as well. If you like the AW, those can be found here for silly low prices, and are usually accessorized. The AW happens to be my personal favorite.

Regarding the AXMC, i love mine, but it's such a giant brute of a gun. I see it as most suitable for the big magnums. I have no intention of ever putting a short action barrel/bolt on mine. I'd just rather shoot the AW.

I decided to got with the AT in 308 and it was the best thing I ever did. Sooo accurate! I went with the AT because of the limitted range I can shoot at. If I had access to an range with 800-1500 yards I would have gone with the AX.

Get an AI! Buy once, cry once. I had a Cadex and Sako TRG and and I never looked back when I sold those to buy the AT.

I went AXMC. I shoot .308 most of the time out of it. I do not find the LA action gives you any handicap. I had an AWMC and an AT. Sold both for the AXMC and never have regretted doing so.