• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Debating: Tikka T1x vs Bergara BXR

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Debating on getting either a BXR or a T1x. Yes, semi vs bolt. I'd like to think of this as a trainer and/or plinker. Seems finding a BXR is like finding the Arc; which is why I don't have one. I'm a bit more drawn to a semi-auto; but a bolt would make me more deligent in shots and training with bolt gun - plus they're much easier to clean (something not lost on me).

I'd be looking at tapping small, for me, plates (4" dia) at up to 250-300 yards.

Suggestions or comments appreciated.

It's a pipe dream I know, but I'd like to hit 4" at 200 and a stretch goal would be 300 with moderate consistency (aka, about 50%).

I have a T1X in a KRG bravo. The scope is not fancy, it is a Vortec Crossfire 6 X 24 x 40. My shooting is limited to 100 yds about 99% of the time. The groups my rifle produces tell me your goal can be reached with decent ammo.

Reactions: BytorJr
Debating on getting either a BXR or a T1x. Yes, semi vs bolt. I'd like to think of this as a trainer and/or plinker. Seems finding a BXR is like finding the Arc; which is why I don't have one. I'm a bit more drawn to a semi-auto; but a bolt would make me more deligent in shots and training with bolt gun - plus they're much easier to clean (something not lost on me).

I'd be looking at tapping small, for me, plates (4" dia) at up to 250-300 yards.

Suggestions or comments appreciated.
I have a BXR with steel barrel. Accuracy is just OK, not great. Went with a KIDD Super grade and it is easily sub MOA. So if you want accuracy in a semi auto go with KIDD.

OFG

I have a T1X in a Bravo. I can hit 2" and 3" square steel regularly out to 300yds. in good wind conditions. I also have a Kidd Supergrade that will do the same. Have you looked at the Bergara bolt guns. I have a B14R that is my go to for long range.
Mark

OP, ease of cleaning alone is why I have a T1X and no semi rimfire at the moment.

Edit- no semiautomatic rifle in rimfire. Semiauto pistol yes, because .22LR revolvers are kind of boring to me.

Reactions: BytorJr
Why not the B14r? That's what I got, and I love it! T1x would have been my 2nd choice. Only thing I couldn't get over was the cheap plastic stock. Bergara came with a solid stock w/embedded aluminum chassis

Why not the B14r? That's what I got, and I love it! T1x would have been my 2nd choice. Only thing I couldn't get over was the cheap plastic stock. Bergara came with a solid stock w/embedded aluminum chassis
Nice to know. I've got a CTR, so I'm familiar with the Tikka brand. No reason not looking at B14r; except that had I not farted around I could have picked up a slightly used T1X for 450. Whilst I love semi-auto; I have to say, cleaning them (with how dirty rimfire is) is a royal PITA. I'll take a gander at the B14r. Just not sure of accuracy vs T1X. Either are more accurate than myself (at the moment).

Also the B14r is considerably more expensive. A BMR would be more inline with pricing. That said, if I added a KRG then the Tikka is about the B14r cost.

I'll take a gander at the B14r. Just not sure of accuracy vs T1X. Either are more accurate than myself (at the moment).

Also the B14r is considerably more expensive. A BMR would be more inline with pricing. That said, if I added a KRG then the Tikka is about the B14r cost.
You are already starting the dangerous (to your wallet) creep. It starts with wanting an out of the box rifle, then "just a little bit more" into a full-on custom rig.
For now, I would just shelve the BXR or any auto. Thoughts on the others:
BMR-Decent walk around plinker, hunter rifle. Not much aftermarket yet.
B14r-Remington foot-print action that can be either an out of the box fun range gun, or customized into anything from a lightweight trainer to beast mode PRS rifle.
T1x-A great out of the box plinker, hunter. Great aftermarket (even pre-fit barrels) that can tailor the rifle as you see fit.
CZ457-See T1X.

I currently have a B14r that I got as a barreled action and built it up as if it were a Vudoo or RimX. My thought process was if the B14r didn't cut it, I would upgrade the barreled action and sell it off. That didn't happen and I will still build up a RimX in the near future. I only mention that to say if I had just bought a T1x, put it in a KRG Bravo and installed a $12 trigger spring, I probably wouldn't be missing out on anything and at a considerable savings. Put your money in the glass, that is what is going to put the biggest smile on your face shot after shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: n2stcks and MarkCZ
You are already starting the dangerous (to your wallet) creep. It starts with wanting an out of the box rifle, then "just a little bit more" into a full-on custom rig.
For now, I would just shelve the BXR or any auto. Thoughts on the others:
BMR-Decent walk around plinker, hunter rifle. Not much aftermarket yet.
B14r-Remington foot-print action that can be either an out of the box fun range gun, or customized into anything from a lightweight trainer to beast mode PRS rifle.
T1x-A great out of the box plinker, hunter. Great aftermarket (even pre-fit barrels) that can tailor the rifle as you see fit.
CZ457-See T1X.

I currently have a B14r that I got as a barreled action and built it up as if it were a Vudoo or RimX. My thought process was if the B14r didn't cut it, I would upgrade the barreled action and sell it off. That didn't happen and I will still build up a RimX in the near future. I only mention that to say if I had just bought a T1x, put it in a KRG Bravo and installed a $12 trigger spring, I probably wouldn't be missing out on anything and at a considerable savings. Put your money in the glass, that is what is going to put the biggest smile on your face shot after shot.
Well, who it looks like T1X is going to be a wait. So I'm now researching the BMR (can get) but the bolt grit issue I've read about concerns me. That led me to the CZ AT-ONE, then to the MTR. However, I may just wait it out and place an order for the T1X and be patient (not in my vocabulary though). That the T1X drops into a KRG which I'm also considering for the CTR is a big plus - since "in theory" this will be a trainer and range toy.

Well I can't remeber where you are (You know where I am! :LOL: ) but if you get this way you are more than welcome to take the B14R and the Vudoo for a spin! Got a private range in the Lonsdale area and the ammo is on me!

Well I can't remeber where you are (You know where I am! :LOL: ) but if you get this way you are more than welcome to take the B14R and the Vudoo for a spin! Got a private range in the Lonsdale area and the ammo is on me!
Cool. I'll keep that in mind. Hmmm. Lonsdale cutoff...ahh...remember when Dad about burried the car in the mud that used to be "the road." :)

• Haha
Reactions: nikonNUT
Cool. I'll keep that in mind. Hmmm. Lonsdale cutoff...ahh...remember when Dad about burried the car in the mud that used to be "the road." :)
It's not much better now coming from the 70 side. There are few potholes that might actually be abandonded stripmines! :LOL: The Malvern Avenue side of the mountain isn't too bad. Come on out!