• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Decap/expander die?

Raptorman2014

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2017
I am having issues with my Redding sizing die with carbide button catching on dented necks from ar and then crushing the necks becuase it doesn't slide past.

I normally decap, clean (stainless steel tumble), anneal and then size. Do someone make a decapping die that will also straighten out the neck at the sametime?

I always decap with a Universal die. I am currently using a Lee but I may go to a Mighty Armory decaping die. I am also going to purchase a few of their sizing dies in varies calibers.

Redding sells tapered expanders that may help. If your extraction dent is that pronounced you probably need that plus a health amount of lube inside the neck which may require re-cleaning after FL sizing.

601EAF8C-E2BF-43BB-9BF3-4C1030F01E02.jpeg

Reactions: SmithM21
If you are willing to separate into multiple processes, I decap with a Lee decapping die (sole function), size with a Redding bushing die (decapper and expander ball removed), then expand with a Sinclair die with mandrel. Works like a charm, just takes a little bit of extra time.

I always decap with a Universal die. I am currently using a Lee but I may go to a Mighty Armory decaping die. I am also going to purchase a few of their sizing dies in varies calibers.
What would be the advantage?