• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Decent $200-$300 spotting scope?

Re: Decent $200-$300 spotting scope?

I got this one free with a Burris scope:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-12x-24x-50mm-compact-spotter-spotting-scope.html

I've seen them as low as $100. Everybody who looks through it is amazed at how good it is. Until my shooting partner bought his Bushnell Excursion, I really can't remember a spotter for under $500 that's really any better.

In addition, it's small and light enough to carry in a hunting pack.

John

Perfect for your price range:
http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

Heard this is the best value you can get for a spotting scope. I would seriously consider this as I have not seen one bad comment about this spotting scope for what you pay for. I'm sure someone will chime in to support this spotting scope. Good luck!

Call Creedmoore and get a quote on a Kowa TSN-601. It'll be around $500-$600, but you won't need to replace it like you will with the cheaper scopes. I spent $200 on a Bushnell as my first spotter....that was a waste of $200.

Don't know anything about the Konus suggested above other than Creedmoore sells them too: so that's a positive statement.

I have 2 KONUS scopes I saw them at Perry a few years ago one on the vendors had them on demo. They are clear and well priced. I have the 20-60X80 and I also have a 20-60X100. I like them.

The 100mm is slightly brighter although it is much larger. The 80mm was about $230.00 and the 100mm was about $360.00 I bought bother at Opticsplanet. What I like about bothe scopes is the eye relief allows me see the image with the offset from shooting glasses.

I bought a the KONUSPOT 20-60x80mm mod 7120 in a group buy here on the hide, years ago for $200.00. I believe it to be one of the better buys I have ever got on a new optic.
Mac: That is the best price I've seen on a Konus I've seen. They are $219.00 on feebay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MacBud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this the same famous Konus scope that everyone is raving about?:
http://www.directoutdoorsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KON7120
If so this is one hell of a price right? </div></div>

thats the one i have. i think the accessories are what ran up the cost on mine but i am fairly certain i paid more than 200 for the scope itself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vern4t5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a the KONUSPOT 20-60x80mm mod 7120 in a group buy here on the hide, years ago for $200.00. I believe it to be one of the better buys I have ever got on a new optic.
Mac: That is the best price I've seen on a Konus I've seen. They are $219.00 on feebay. </div></div>

+1. It's actually pretty damn nice for the $$$. The tripod that comes with it is garbage, but the scope is quite decent. I've used mine at a local 1000 yard range and was pleased with the clarity.

If you like a mildot... might want to look at the Bushnell Excursion...

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

First I had a Bushnell ($150). It was fine for 100 yds with no mirage. Then it was on to a Nikon Sky & Earth ($275) and it was fine out to 300 yds. Then Vortex entered my life. I know it is way away from your target, but the point is "buy the best and you only buy once." Well, maybe only once. OMG, I have ADD too!!!!

+1 on Konus. I've got a 80mm and it's great. Only scope in that price range I've ever seen that was even remotely decent.

Also +1 on the tripod sucking. I had to epoxy and screw together the tripod to stop it from wobbling, basically disabling the quick disconnect feature, but once I did that, it worked pretty well.

Celestron C90:

http://www.adorama.com/CNC90N.html

I have the previous version, and it is a LOT of scope for the money. It is big and cumbersome, but the optics are quite clear. Using a different eyepiece than what was supplied, I was just barely able to see .223 holes in a Shoot-N-C target at 600 yards around dusk (when the mirage was gone). That is outstanding for any scope. I didn't try looking at the holes with the eyepiece that came with it, but I would still rate it extremely well.

The only downside to this design is that it won't zoom less than ~32x or so, and really does better once you get into the 50x or so range.

If you can find one, a 50mm Kowa TSN-500 series with 20-40 eye piece are great scopes for the money. I bought mine lat year from SWFA for around $200, and it beats other scopes costing three times as much. When people look through it, I always get comments on how crsp and clear it is compared to their more expensive, larger objective scopes.

Unfortunately, Kowa has discontinued the line, but they still show it on the web site.