• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Decent 338 Lapua factory ammo?

Nightcap

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2019
I'm restricted to shooting to only 600 yards for a while, and reloading isn't really in the cards for the same time frame. I also figure that ammo is ammo and if it shoots, it works, but is there a preferred factory loaded 338 Lapua that gives acceptable, non-embarrassing results? I'm not worried about shooting the tightest of tight groups, but I at least don't want to spend time/money on garbage ammo if there's a better load out there.

Berger makes great ammo in various weights. I like their 300 grain Berger hunting bullet a lot.

I don’t shoot 338LP as much as I’d like to, but I’ve had pretty good results with Nosler Match Grade 300grn

The factory Lapua with 250gr scenars is pretty great, though you can expect to pay $6-7 a round for it. I also had very good results with the Prime 300gr OTM rounds. Either way, you're going to be spending a boatload on factory ammo for that thing, unfortunately. There is a gentleman selling 120 rounds on the PX right now at a very reasonable price. It's not enough to last a super long time but it's plenty to get you moving. Plus, you buying that would stop me from being tempted every time I see it..........

Good luck!

I shot the factory lapua ammoin 300 grain. Also hornady 285 grain with good results they my deserttech!

I'm restricted to shooting to only 600 yards for a while, and reloading isn't really in the cards for the same time frame. I also figure that ammo is ammo and if it shoots, it works, but is there a preferred factory loaded 338 Lapua that gives acceptable, non-embarrassing results? I'm not worried about shooting the tightest of tight groups, but I at least don't want to spend time/money on garbage ammo if there's a better load out there.

In my limited experience
  1. For anything 600 yards and closer I use Sellier and Bellot 250 grain. It rocks and is cheap. Very consistent out of my AXMC. It runs about $27 for a box of 10.
  2. As distance goes out, I also have had good luck with FGMM in both 250 and 300 grain varieties. I find the 250 to be quite good. You can usually find it on sale for ~70-75/box of 20.
  3. Spark using the Hornady 285 grain ELD-M is pretty amazing
  4. Berger makes the best. My favorite is the 250 grain Lapua Scenar but man on man it is $$$. $107/box of 20. I have used the Berger 300 grain OTM and it is quite good as well.
I should say that I have my biases. I am very partial to the lighter bullets. I think that the 338 LM is designed to operate best with a speedy bullet. The 300 grain bullets work but IMHO are too large for this caliber.